Author Topic: Suspension Lift for '86 4 runner  (Read 3169 times)

442man

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Suspension Lift for '86 4 runner
« on: Nov 24, 2007, 02:36:40 PM »
Hi,
I'm new to four wheelin' and need assistance. I have an '86 Toyota 4 runner that I want to lift 3". I can seem to find a suspension lift kit. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
442man

rockin86runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 871
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Re: Suspension Lift for '86 4 runner
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2007, 03:03:45 PM »
i had a procomp 4in on mine did all right
85 toy runner tons 4link front and rear ORIs 42 pitbulls

86 runner some other things  pained orange STOLEN REWARD IF FOUND

70 cj-5 renegade1 buick 231 v-6 t-18 dana20 dana 30,44 32in BFG at 

:usa: USN SEABEE EO2 SCW .....We Build.We Fight.We Defend....Hoo-Rah  GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS :usa:

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2007, 04:05:57 PM »
Hey, 442man & rockin86runner

:welcome::turtle3: land
 :gap:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2007, 04:15:26 PM »
depends on what your looking for. if your looking to build the 4runner into a rock crawler/trail vehicle then i'd hold off on a lift kit for IFS besides cranking the torsion bars and putting in an add-a-leaf in the rear suspension. you will be amazed at where you can get it with just that without breaking stuff. just expect alot of body roll and having 1 front tire off the ground. more aggressive tires, add a locker or weld the spider gears, and get rock sliders/bumpers.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

442man [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2007, 04:40:29 PM »
Hi Red,
Thanks for your suggestion however I need a little more explanation. Cranking the torsion bars-how do you accomplish? Any suggestion for adding a leaf spring-what spring do I use? Also, add a locker-what's involved?
Sorry for all the  questions but this is brand new for me. I do plan on aggressive tires and rock slider bumbers.
Thanks,
442man

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2007, 04:52:42 PM »
442 man   the  lift kits for a ifs  are VERY expensive,   what size tires  do you want to run  and  how  are you going to use the truck??   rock crawlin  or  desert racing :dunno:

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

442man [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2007, 05:03:46 PM »
70coyotefrg,
The tires I have are 265 75R 16. I plan to do more mountain road driving, ditches, gulleys, hills, etc. I looked at the lift kit mentioned earlier and they are too expensive. I need a reaonable cost set up.
Thanks,
442man

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2007, 05:07:02 PM »
with the torsion bars crawl under the door area of your rig and you will see the back end of the torsion bars. they're about 1" in diameter and run from the front wheel to a frame mount there under the door (one on driver's side and one on passanger side). on the frame mount you will see a verticle bolt that goes through the torsion bar key (its a metal bracket attatched to the rear end of the torsion bar inside of the frame bracket). tighten that bolt up an equal amount on both sides (if you tighten the drivers side up 3 complete turns, do the same on the passanger side or else you can create body lean and throw your front wheels out of alignment).

with the rear add-a-leafs i cant think of the brand i'm using (i got mine used) but make sure that you get the long thin leafs because they will allow the spring pack to flex. stay away from the short thick add-a-leafs, they limit your articualtion for the springs.

adding a locker requires removing the 3rd member from the axle housing, fairly involved and not the easiest thing to accomplish if your not familiar with axle work. can be done though.

USAF EOD tech

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2007, 05:09:36 PM »
ya i know, its obvious that u need a tape measure to make sure its level on each side....bounce up and down on the truck a few times..or even better, take it for a short drive after each adjustment to settle the torsion spring

i would recommend some downey lo-pro snubber bumpstops or just cut yours down to not limit flex
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2007, 05:11:15 PM »
a reasonable cost lift for IFS does not exist unfortunatly. your looking at 1,000 or more for the most basic kit new. cranking the torsion bars and the add-a-leaf will net you up to 2" of lift and is cheap. doing that nets you a little more ground clearance without putting extra strain on your cv shafts/joints.

the locker, rock sliders, and bumpers are things that, should you decide that you need more ground clearance at a later date or need a solid front axle, will apply to that. unlike an IFS lift where your money spent on that has no part to a solid axle vehicle.

USAF EOD tech

442man [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2007, 05:25:30 PM »
Many thanks for the suggestions and info. I'm going the torsion bar/leaf spring route.
Best Regards,
442man

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2007, 05:28:29 PM »
Many thanks for the suggestions and info. I'm going the torsion bar/leaf spring route.
Best Regards,
442man
I was happy with the HD downey torsions I had on my truck..also had 2 inch downey springs with AAL but they bent, as every other pair of downey springs i have seen..i think the quality has really gone downhill lately on thier springs
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

442man [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2007, 06:10:04 PM »
One more question, who has a good quality add a leaf springs? Is there a particular size for the 4 runner?
Thanks,
442man

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2007, 06:16:09 PM »
One more question, who has a good quality add a leaf springs? Is there a particular size for the 4 runner?
Thanks,
442man
downey does...its just thier regular leaf springs that suck ass
RIP KYOTA

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2007, 06:24:23 PM »
or  find a  2wd chevy s10  or f150 2wd  at the junkyard  with 2 1/2 inch wide leaves  and  get the pair,   remove  one of the  semi long leaves  and add it to your rear pack

also might consider a 2 inch body lift,   with the torsion bar tweeked  and add a leaf  and 2 inch body lift  you can run 33 inch tires
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

442man [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2007, 11:32:37 AM »
downey does...its just thier regular leaf springs that suck ass

I'm a little confused. The Downey add-a-leaf is ok but stay away from the complete leaf spring assembly?
Thanks,
442man

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2007, 02:00:21 PM »

I'm a little confused. The Downey add-a-leaf is ok but stay away from the complete leaf spring assembly?
Thanks,
442man
from my experience, yes..... just make sure the add a leaf is the correct length...downey sent me the wrong length one time and it bent (one of the sets) of downey springs I have had.... this was partially my fault and partially downeys fault so they replaced the springs and then that pair bent....i dont even wheel all that hard and they still bent, as every person I have ever known that as had downey springs
RIP KYOTA