Author Topic: I need my spare!  (Read 1899 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I need my spare!
« on: Jun 17, 2007, 02:21:49 PM »
I was rotating my tires yesterday, but when I went to get the spare down to rotate it in, it wouldn't come down. I can still get it to crank up, but I can't get it to crank down. It must be jammed somehow. Anybody have a fix for this? I really need to get it fixed in case of a flat tire. Thanks!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: I need my spare!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2007, 02:31:15 PM »
Kink in the chain, it's a pain to fix.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2007, 02:39:19 PM »
lots and lots of PB blaster or bolt cutters..

that is the worst location for a spare tire..mount it in the bed
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2007, 03:30:36 PM »
only way i could get mine off  was to cut the chain  :down:

i suggest  if  you want  to keep it under the bed  then use the crank from a chevy truck,  it uses  a tiny cable winch
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2007, 03:33:11 PM »
i  would suggest getting rid of the whole thing...what happens if you are buried in mud or on a rock and u need that spare? hmmmm... better have a hi lift
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2007, 03:35:41 PM »
I always had mine underneath on all my rigs, sometimes it was good to have it there or I'd have done some real damage. 33's are the max though any thing bigger and it won't fit.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2007, 03:39:24 PM »
I will probably end up mounting it in the bed, but for now it is staying under it. That is, if I can get it out without destroying the mechanism. I don't know why it is not working though. It worked just three months ago...this isn't cool. I don't have a ton of bedspace. I use my bed for a sleeping location when I go camping, and I don't think there is enough room back there for my toolbox, me, and a spare. I guess I will dink with it next weekend. Any other reasons why it might be stuck? Thanks!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2007, 03:41:55 PM »
I did have to cut my 80's chain though, it got twisted and I didn't see it until I tryed to lower it down.

mudaddict

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 1,829
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
    • All Pro Off Road
« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2007, 03:51:39 PM »
ruted to much or maybe something is stuck on there to make it get stuck and not let it go down! maybe te hose and spray all around there and gt it all clean and then some pb blaster around that area and jsut try and force it out! of a bf hammer could help  :_order:
98 Taco- Super charged, sas'd, bobbed, locked,taco boxed with 39's
Taco Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88901.0

I work At
All Pro Off Road

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2007, 03:54:11 PM »
I will probably end up mounting it in the bed, but for now it is staying under it. That is, if I can get it out without destroying the mechanism. I don't know why it is not working though. It worked just three months ago...this isn't cool. I don't have a ton of bedspace. I use my bed for a sleeping location when I go camping, and I don't think there is enough room back there for my toolbox, me, and a spare. I guess I will dink with it next weekend. Any other reasons why it might be stuck? Thanks!
if u do get it working again make sure u slather grease all over it to make it easier next time
RIP KYOTA

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2007, 04:04:29 PM »
i have a chain crank unit for sale, might actually have 2 of them, i know i have one. works fine, and from northern CA, no rusted pices or anything
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 17, 2007, 09:31:30 PM »
I emptied a can of WD40 on the mechanism, and wiggled it back and forth for 15 minutes. I got it loose! I didn't even have to use a BFH  :_order: I dropped the tire, washed it off, then put it back up in there. I guess I had over tightened it, and hadn't lubed it. Where would you put grease in? Put it on the chain, then run the chain through? Or is the a fitting somewhere that I just missed? Thanks, for the offer jimbo74, but i guess I don't need a new one. Maybe next time! Thanks ya all!