Author Topic: TRANSFER CASE PROBLEM PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1601 times)

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
TRANSFER CASE PROBLEM PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: May 21, 2007, 09:32:29 AM »
Alright well i searched through the board and didn't find anything really covering this problem, so maybe you guys can help me out.  I just got the  :turtle: lift, tom woods shafts, gears, bla bla bla all the usual stuff.  Went out for the first trip the other night and everything went great nice and smooth and we wheeled the piss out of this thing.  Well yesterday we went out again and everything went smoothly until the end of the night.  I started getting this slight vibration comming from the front that would come and go.  I was thinking maybe it is the offset u-joint that came with the high angle D-Lines that Tom Woods made for me.  He said that at higher speeds that u-joint would vibrate pretty... but i was in 4-low 1st gear with just the factory transfer case (dont have duels).  It progressively got worse through the night.  Now I've pinpointed it to the transfer case because when out of 4 wheel drive the vibration stops...put it back into 4hi or 4low and it's back.  It's not the d shaft because when in 2wd with the hubs locked there is no vibration even at 40 mph stick it back into 4wd and it's back.  When I'm coasting in 4wd (clutch disengaged) at around 25 mph and i let the clutch out slowly i can hear a slight grinding noise and can feel it through the stick.  Now could this be a bearing issue? Or a gear issue? ???  It is the original T-case from 84 and has 234,000 miles on the truck but the t-case has no where near that nor has it had a rough life.  Any info is greatly appreciated.  :thumbs:   
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 08:53:13 PM by Fearofrunner »

snowrun

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 143
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer Case vibration and noise
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 09:48:53 AM »
Have you checked the ubolts? if they loosened up, the torque could be twisting the front axle & binding the ujoint. Might be why it goes away when no power is going to front axle

Fearofrunner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 11:57:02 AM »
That's a good point snowrun i checked all the ubolts before the first trip but maybe with all the bouncing around the stretched/seated onto the axle i'll check that too again.

Fearofrunner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 08:50:11 PM »
Ok i checked the front u-bolts and yes a few of them where loose but not enough to be causing a problem.   I did take the truck out for a drive and tried out the 4wd again.  Cruising in a straight line and shifting back and forth from 2wd to 4wd there is a grinding comming from the transfer case which goes to the wobble.  Is this for sure a bearing issue? Anyone with any info or ideas please post up!!!

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
how about your front output flange?

Fearofrunner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
What about it? I did take it off to get redrilled but bolted it back up to 90ft lbs and it's still on nice and tight.  What kind of problems can you run into with the flange?