Author Topic: Problem with my a340h, transfer case will not go into 4 lo or hi. Pictures insid  (Read 1340 times)

Copenhagen

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

I was out wheeling a few weeks back, Im locked in the front, and the trails were tight, so I was shifting in and out of 4wd a lot. Towards the end of the day I was coming up a slick hill, and the back tires lost traction, so I went to engage the tcase, I felt nothing in the handle, as in It just moved freely, not like I was selecting a gear. So I move it to 4lo, and i have no front end power. A buddy gets under the truck grabs the linkage and puts it in gear. It worked, and I was able to make it home.

I crawl under the truck the next day, and I see that the pivot point on the back of the tcase, under the output shaft is out of its cup, so I put it back together, thinking everything is alright I go on about my buisiness.

A week later im out shooting. While Im turning my truck around to leave, i get the front tires in a small ditch, I go to put the transfercase in 4wd, and again i have no power to the front axle, and the shifter still feels loose, like its not engaging anything. long story short, someone was able to help pull my junk out, and I went home.

I tore the rearmost pan off this transmission/transfercase abomination, and i find this

it went here

I can see the shaft that this came off of, still moving up there, when i move the shifter arm back and forth

It appears to me this piece is just there to hold the shifter in place. Why wont the damn thing put power to the front driveshaft? This thing is currently my daily driver, so I dont want to get too deep into the case unless I know what im going after. Plus Im currently hunting for a five speed so I can get away from this thing. Thx for any help!.

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 680
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
I've only had one A340H model apart so I kinda assuming here. If you turn the broken lever in the last picture around so the pin is in that groove in the spool valve you see, then when the lever is moved it moves the spool valve thus shifting the t-case. Yes the lower notches are to hold it in that location. This is why I run an A340F with dual gear drive cases, all adapters from Marlin of course.
R.DesJardin
"If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere!"

2RZ-A340F-Duals-locked FR/RR-IROK's

Copenhagen [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Ahh ok.. that makes sense, THX!

. It looks like i can just weld that piece back on, but i have to get that shaft out. Can I remove the valve body ( thats what im  calling it) and get that shaft out.