Author Topic: Manual hub conversion  (Read 8375 times)

max

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Manual hub conversion
« on: Feb 09, 2004, 02:25:40 PM »
Who is selling kits to convert a 2003 taco to manual hubs?  How many work hours is it to put on.  Is it true you shouldn't lift a taco more then 2 ins with out converting to maunal hubs

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
Re:Manual hub conversion
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2004, 06:10:20 PM »
warn should have manual hubs for u rig, it shouldent take long if uve never done it befor give urself a day to do it. i dont know about the whole lifting it 2 inches to me it sounds like a bunch of bull
hope that helps

orangefool

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2004, 01:57:00 PM »
www.offroadsolutions.com has a kit for $1000.  I haven't figured out why it costs a thousand dollars yet.

max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2004, 02:53:24 PM »
Yeah have seen kit too since post.  1000 WTF.  Then you need hydrolic press work done, You cant do that in the driveway!!!  I havn't bought my toyota tacoma yet, so I am going to contact Toyota and see if they will sell me the truck with manual hubs.

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2004, 04:20:04 PM »
warn should have manual hubs and they shouldent cost more than 500 bucks, warn as it warn winches, or try milemarker

max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2004, 06:09:48 PM »
Forget this.  To much money, any way you cut it there is atleast 500 greenbacks involved.  So I will do a 1" diff drop when I get my coilovers! DONE DEAL

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2004, 06:12:34 PM »
You could always buy an older Tacoma with manual hubs :twocents:

max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2004, 02:33:51 PM »
Thats a good point.  I am stuck on this I am geting a NEW toyota truck thing though.  I think it will be cool to buy a new toyota truck and be able to put all my money in mods instead of repairs.  The payment will suck but repairs arn't free.  I think I will be able to make it last so long to because I will do so much up keep on it unlike a SOCCER MOM!
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2004, 02:35:24 PM by max »

orangefool

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2004, 09:30:48 PM »
Ok so I've got a few n00b questions about manual hubs that I've been meaning to ask for a while... so here goes.

(BTW I've got a PreRunner that I am going to convert to 4WD this summer.  Everyone seems to advise just swapping out the steering knuckles for those from someone whose SAS'ing their rig.  Ok fine.  But first I'd like to learn more about the knuckle assembly for ADD and manual hubs since I'd like to go straight to manual hubs, if possible.)

Q1. Are bearings pressed into the knuckle body?  Are axle hubs pressed into the bearing?

Looking at the exploded front axle hub diagram in the Toyota service manual (p. SA22-SA23) it looks to me like the knuckle assemblies are very similar.

Q2. The PreRunner has a lock nut on the inside that attaches to the axle hub whereas a 4WD does not.  Clearly this is since the 4WD has a CV shaft that passes thru to the axle hub.  How does the CV shaft actually connect to the axle hub?  How is this different between ADD trucks and manual hubs?

Q3. What do you actually get when you go buy aftermarket, say WARN, hubs?  The axle hubs for the PreRunner and 4WD look similar, is there another style axle hub for manual hubs?  I assume the WARN assembly you get essentially inserts (presses?) into the bearing/knuckle and provides a different interface for the CV shaft than would be in an ADD setup.  Correct?

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2004, 02:38:46 AM »
Q1. Are bearings pressed into the knuckle body?  Are axle hubs pressed into the bearing?
The bearings are not pressed into the knuckle body. Races are pressed into the hub. Bearings in hub fit over spindle on axle hub.
From 4wd FSM:
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2004, 02:49:43 AM »
Q2. The PreRunner has a lock nut on the inside that attaches to the axle hub whereas a 4WD does not.  Clearly this is since the 4WD has a CV shaft that passes thru to the axle hub.  How does the CV shaft actually connect to the axle hub?  How is this different between ADD trucks and manual hubs?
In the ADD configuration the splines in the end of the CV axle fit into a drive flange which bolts to the hub/rotor assembly.
The manual hub configuration can be seen in the first post. The CV splines fit to the lock hub.
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2004, 03:07:36 AM »
Q3. What do you actually get when you go buy aftermarket, say WARN, hubs?  The axle hubs for the PreRunner and 4WD look similar, is there another style axle hub for manual hubs?  I assume the WARN assembly you get essentially inserts (presses?) into the bearing/knuckle and provides a different interface for the CV shaft than would be in an ADD setup.  Correct?
When you buy Warn hubs for an IFS application you get garbage IMHO. Stick with the original Aisin hubs. The axle hub is the same for ADD & manual hubs. The drive flange is the difference. The manual hub bolts in place of the ADD flange.
The ADD axle also has a 2 peice (weaker) stub shaft assembly on the drivers side that slides to actuate the front wheel drive. If you have an ADD front axle the axle tube & axle stub assembly on the drivers side can be swapped out with non ADD parts with the addition of a seal in the diff.
ADD axle tube assembly:

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2004, 03:08:51 AM »
Hope this helped. Here is the non ADD axle assembly.
Dan

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2004, 06:18:21 AM »
The FSM's are nice, just got one for my 83

orangefool

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2004, 07:08:58 AM »
Thank you, that helps.  :)

YoungAndDumbs88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2004, 01:25:11 PM »
With a little time a welder and a little more money you could put a Dana 44 in it from an early bronco or various jeeps, and will have manuel hubs allready on them. Just a suggestion, and by the WTF that is highway robbery.

YD88
If it Don't fit get a bigger HAMMER.

max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2004, 04:03:49 PM »
Yeah, let me just say I already looked into it, it is alot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ so don't waste your time unless you have time and money to waste!  Thanks for all the info prism, but like younganddumb said if you got all this loot and time just SAS it.  I wish I could!  I wanted manual hubs to lift my truck 3" with coilovers, I still am going to, but will use a 1 to 1.25" diff drop.  Under $25 and takes under 20 minutes to install!

orangefool

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2004, 01:28:36 PM »
A SAS is way, way, way beyond my needs and abilities, but eerily enough it may be less money in the long run since I could use a divorced transfer case (e.g. http://www.ottindustries.com/divorcetoyota.htm) which would allow me to not have to swap my PreRunner transmission.  A new (used) A340F transmission is something I will have to have professionally installed anyhow.  I was planning on doing the rest myself.  Most of a SAS would have to be hired out as I am not a welder.

max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2004, 07:18:27 PM »
Yeah, Thats why I am not doing a SAS, I really want to do it MY SELF, but whos going to go to work for me while I stay home all day and work on it.  I am not a welder either, I have tooled with it before, but I don't even own a welder.  If you drop your truck off at a shop and pick it up 1, 2, 3, or 4 weeks later kiss your a$$ goodbye becuase it will cost more than Bushs tax cuts.
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2004, 07:19:04 PM by max »

max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2004, 07:21:57 PM »
It seems like every topic starts as a different topic and ends in SAS.  We all wish we could afford and fab one!

TonkaTaco

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Manual hub conversion
« Reply #20 on: Apr 04, 2004, 05:51:55 PM »
Just bought a new 04 Taco 4wd 5 speed and I want to flat tow it behind my motorhome. I am told that I need to install a manual front hub conversion kit and that I will be able to tow it. Any thoughts on this subject.....
                                                        Thanks, Gary

krawlr

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '02
  • ManBearPig Rowrrr!
    • View Profile
    • Krawlr website
Re: Manual hub conversion
« Reply #21 on: Apr 04, 2004, 10:26:28 PM »
I've done the conversion and it's hell. The parts needed do cost over $1200 seperately. You will need a minimun 20ton press. Pressing the old bearings out is the big problem, almost easier to buy new knuckles so you don't have to.

If I had to do it all over again I would have bought used knee assemblies from the junk yard and be done in hours instead of days. Cheaper and much less headache.

And yes I cut all that out and did an SAS.  :laugh:

BTW I used the Warn hubs and they kept coming loose, they don't use the cones.

I was stubborn about keeping my IFS too but if your in it for the long haul, you'll be shopping for an axle sooner or later.

And finally, you don't need manual hubs to flat tow an ADD Taco, your not doing anything different to the front drivetrain than if you were driving it in 2wd. The ADD differential has extra bearings to cope with this.
27-AT, some other adapter, flipped D300, twin sticks on cables.
[shamelessplug] www.krawlr.com [/shamelessplug]

Don