Author Topic: Sway bar disconnects  (Read 9577 times)

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
Sway bar disconnects
« on: May 09, 2007, 07:45:42 PM »
Has anyone come across 'Sway bar disconnects' for 1985 Toyota 4Runner SOLID AXLE? I've lifted my 4Runner 5".
I need to retain my sway bar due to 2hour / 4hour drive to offroad spots, my 4Runner is not a trailer queen and I enjoy pushing it to its limits and making it home is good limit. :turtle:
Don't bother with 'NWOR', they will not process Canadian (foreign) orders and all orders must exceed 300.00 American!  :usa:
Thanks, any help is appreciated. DanS
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Sway bar disconnects
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 07:51:49 PM »
Dan, the stock  sway bar doesnt offer that much sway control

but  Cteng  made a bracket  so he could use a lockout hub  on one side  to lock or unlock  the swaybar

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DanS [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 07:56:02 PM »
Cteng?
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DanS [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 08:06:27 PM »
Thanks Glen, just Pm'd Cteng. :think:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 09:01:24 PM »
DanS, keep this thread going.. I also want to put on a sway bar this summer. I often forget that I am in my truck and not my MR2.

I have plans to measure the width between my front u-bolt flip plates, take a day at the wrecking yard to find a suitable sway bar from an old boat car that has few bends in it, and build my own sway bar kit.

As any place better to begin this project, I'll start with your thread if you don't mind :wave:

I have not measured one yet, but I think a stock IFS front sway bar on, oh say a 1989 V6 4Runner, is probably 24 or 25mm thick. Knowing that this is used on a much heavier vehicle than mine, it would probably work well, but I don't want all of the bends associated with it.

Addco makes a rear sway bar kit that would work great. Its 1" thick (24.5mm) and has a good bend to clear my transmission:

Of course if I could find a like sway bar at the wrecking yard, I'll just buy a used one and run it :thumbs:

Keep this updated with the Disconnects you use. I am curious!
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 11:23:29 AM »
Dan, the stock  sway bar doesnt offer that much sway control

but  Cteng  made a bracket  so he could use a lockout hub  on one side  to lock or unlock  the swaybar

This is a tissue of lies.  The one witht he lockout is an expensive Skyjacker model.  Mine resembles it, but without the lockout.  I am still trying to get the bar dialed in, haven't had time to consider disconnects yet.  Very sorry to ruin such lovely praise though.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 12:19:23 PM »
You should have just said "oh yeah I'm the man!"
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 12:24:17 PM »
:down:

well get on the ball,  you can DU EET

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 12:30:25 PM »
haha, i saw that swaybar with the hub dial, its a jeep thing....

might want to contact www.4crawler.com i know he has swaybar disconnects for the IFS boys/girls.... If he doenst have some for the SA people, I am sure he may be able to help you find some or figure something out, he is a great guy to work with and his fab skills are top notch. i have met him personally and have used several of his products
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DanS [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 06:13:13 PM »
Captain, good link, www.4crawler.com is what I'm looking for. I've got my local supplier (2hour drive...lol) sourcing the 'NWOR' sway bar disconnects, for availability to us foreigners (Canadians referred to by NWOR) and to find the manufacturer.
Are the 'ADDCO' rear sway bars available for 85 4Runners?
Any pics to their install would help with future axle rebuild. :think:

Thanks DanS

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 589
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 11:27:24 PM »
i called nwor to get a price on the disconects, and they said they discontinued them...but i'm not so sure, since everything i asked about they said they didnt have any more.  I'd only do business with them in a very last resort sort of situation...but good luck

Dave J.

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 09:14:49 AM »
Front Range Off Road offers these ones : http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfoscomm/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=52&osCsid=d9f6ded3f1a55ce7958aab892a0f9e94
don't know if that will help, or if it what you are looking for but its worth a shot.
-87 pickup sas pics, 5.29's, aussie, flatbed, and 35's  coming soon

DanS [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
DaveJ, great link they supply stock length and 'lifted' lengths I'm going to call monday to review availability, costs including shipping to Canada.
Thanks again, DanS

Dave J.

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 10:03:32 PM »
glad i could help, i might look into getting some myself for my upcoming 85 build, they might end up being the only thing i don't get from the junk yard.
-87 pickup sas pics, 5.29's, aussie, flatbed, and 35's  coming soon

Redeyejedi

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 10:12:41 PM »
"These disconnects are now available for stock or lifted IFS trucks, and stock or lifted straight axle trucks (without crossover steering). Disconnects are available in regular or custom lengths (please contact us for custom lengths). More applications to come."  FROR site listed
alcohol.....the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78234902@N06/

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 10:18:48 PM »
Throw it in the trash, it just gets in the way. Real trucks don't have no sway bar.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 11:44:21 PM »
Throw it in the trash, it just gets in the way. Real trucks don't have no sway bar.

X2 i havent had a sway bar in years. i drove home on the weekends from chico to mt shasta passing most of the people through the canyon between redding and mt shasta with no issues

DRew
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

DanS [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 03:27:20 PM »
Update: after numerous calls to all the suppliers on this thread I found 'Front Range Off-road' to be the most helpfull, however installing the 'cross-over-steering' makes it very difficult to install the stock sway bar, let alone the sway bar disconnects.
I'm not going to give up that easy, therefore during the install of all my new 'Marlin' front end parts I'm going to take measurements including articulating the entire system and put it through its paces to achieve max/min deflections and applicable measurements.
I'll contact the fellows at Front Range Off-road to review and with their help fabricate a working sway bar, including quick disconnects. :idea:
As far as NWOR I'll save my comments for another day! :lipsrsealed:
         DanS

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 04:41:33 PM »
:rofl:  i can imagine what NWOR said  :aaa:

DanS [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 05:03:53 PM »
Yes it is bad when NWOR tells my local off-road supplier (they have 5 stores across Canada), that they don't sell quick disconnects or sway bar acc's after I faxed them a copy of the NWOR info including contact name and part numbers as supplied to me by fax from them! :screwy:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2007, 08:51:36 AM »
I think you'll have trouble hooking up the stock swaybar with a crossover but you may want to look into a custom setup like they put on the race trucks. They're a little pricy but you can put it wherever it needs to be, I've been looking for a site but haven't found one yet, stupid search engines post too much crap these days.

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2007, 10:37:12 AM »
Don't see the need for it. I drive pretty aggressively and don't see much difference without it.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 04:06:14 PM »
Don't see the need for it. I drive pretty aggressively and don't see much difference without it.

If you run a soft setup they do tend to lean real heavy, but I agree that you don't need 'em.

DanS [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2007, 07:05:46 PM »
Thanks again fellows, see my Update on this post, I'm going to install my cross-over-steering and 5" Marlin springs minus the sway bar and then drive the crap out of it to determine how soft and lack of control that may result due to leaving the sway bar off.
Later, Dans