Author Topic: rear drive shaft after SAS  (Read 2182 times)

phi564

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -12
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawlin in KY
    • View Profile
    • high clearance offroad
rear drive shaft after SAS
« on: May 02, 2007, 10:10:47 AM »
i've got an '90 ext cab pickup.  i'm fix'n to do an 4" SAS and 4" rear lift with a single case.  right now i have a 2 peice stock rear drive shaft, i was think'n about changing to a single peice w/ a CV.  i know it would be pretty long, so i was just wondering what some other have done.

thanks,
chris
01 Dodge 2500 Cummins dd/ tow rig
'90 toyota w/ 4.3 on propane/th350/toy duels
fj80 axles, 39" BFG krawlers, psc full hydro, 4.10's, detroit front, welderd rear

It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: rear drive shaft after SAS
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 11:09:32 AM »
just make it a 1 piece,  dont  worry about a cv
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 11:42:52 AM »
On my 85 truck I ran the stock rear driveshaft with a 4-1/2 inch lift without any issues.  I suspect you will have more travel, so I would suggest getting it lengthened a bit and calling it good.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 01:14:28 PM »
Thats a very long driveshaft.  Remember, the longer they are, the wider they need to be.  If you go to a one peice, you need to make sure the tubing clearances will fit.  When I got my 2 piece made into a 1 piece, the guy had a computer program that showed the torque loads at different lengths with different sizes of tubing.  The stock tubing was too weak to handle the extra length of the driveshaft. 

You can also make some spaces to put in the carrier bearing bracket, to lower that and keep the angles closer to normal for the time being.  Then when(if) you go duals, you can step up to a 1 piece. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

phi564 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawlin in KY
    • View Profile
    • high clearance offroad
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 01:45:40 PM »
i've got a rear drive shaft from an '84 ext cab pickup.  if i did do a one peice i was gonna definately step up the tubing to some sch 40 or something like that.  i didnt really think about it needing to be wider but that is a good point.

if i did keep the two peice and lowered the bearing, do i need to set up my pinion angle as if i had a CV and angle it towards the TC or a regular u-joint shaft and set the angle the same as the TC flange?

thanks for the input

chris
fj80 axles, 39" BFG krawlers, psc full hydro, 4.10's, detroit front, welderd rear

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 04:47:32 PM »
I read your first post, and thinking about it a little more, you may not even have to put the spacers.  before I went to duals, I had a 2 peice, with no spacer, stock '91 d-shaft, and never had any issues.  I have 63" chevies, and got about 4" out of them, so you're looking at the same thing.  If I did it again, I might at a 2" spacer, just to get a closer to stock angle.  I know DTB has built or is going to build a spacer for his truck for the time being (3rd gen ex cab as well) so you might hit him up for some pics of what he did.  He may already have some up on his Tree hugger thread in Project Buildups.  I don't know, I haven't looked at it for a few days. 

:thumbs:

Also, with a two piece driveshaft, by putting a spacer in, you "lengthen" it anyway, by increasing the angle it is at.  If you look at an L vs. a \_  the distance between the two points is farther, due to the angle being increased from 90* to 120* or so.   Hopefully this makes sense?  :dunno: if not, I can do a diagram on paint when I get home.  :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

91 super yoda

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -56
  • Male Posts: 400
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Axe' em Jacks
    • View Profile
    • Old Town Customs
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 06:22:32 PM »
im probably where you are lookin to be. ive got the 4" SAS w/o duals and no spacer on a stock 91 shaft. ive been runnin it like that with no problems. driven on the street at least 3 days a week and wheeled on the weekends. you can add a spacer to make yourself feel better if ya like.

phi564 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawlin in KY
    • View Profile
    • high clearance offroad
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 06:38:50 AM »
91 super yota - do you have any vibes on the road.

thanks for all the info guys!

chris

91 super yoda

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -56
  • Male Posts: 400
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Axe' em Jacks
    • View Profile
    • Old Town Customs
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 11:00:21 AM »
no, ive never had vibrations from the way its set up. ill probably leave it like it is. dont fix anything thats not broke.