Author Topic: Interesting luggage I want to check onto the plane.  (Read 2383 times)

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
Interesting luggage I want to check onto the plane.
« on: Apr 28, 2007, 05:43:23 PM »
I will be visiting California In June. On my way back to Alaska I thought of a crazy Idea...

When I pass through Fresno I was going to pick up a rear Hilux Marlin bumper for my truck.

D you think the Airline would check something like that as luggage? Or would they give me a hard time?  Sounds rediculous but I have seen Tubas, Caskets (with dead people in them) trees, large animals etc.... checked onto aircraft without much drama. So why not a truck bumper :)

Of course I will call the airline ahead of time but I was just curious if any of you cats have tried it.

Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Do it, i have seen some crazy stuff go through.. it all depends on how loaded the plan is...

military_stang
:respect:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
I will be visiting California In June. On my way back to Alaska I thought of a crazy Idea...

When I pass through Fresno I was going to pick up a rear Hilux Marlin bumper for my truck.

D you think the Airline would check something like that as luggage? Or would they give me a hard time?  Sounds rediculous but I have seen Tubas, Caskets (with dead people in them) trees, large animals etc.... checked onto aircraft without much drama. So why not a truck bumper :)

Of course I will call the airline ahead of time but I was just curious if any of you cats have tried it.

there are weight and dimension restrictions for check in baggage...you probably could take it though u would just have to pay an extra fee......talk to the airline....or maybe you could buy it its own ticket and it could ride in the seat next to you??
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
haha 
there are weight and dimension restrictions for check in baggage...you probably could take it though u would just have to pay an extra fee......talk to the airline....or maybe you could buy it its own ticket and it could ride in the seat next to you??

I like the other ticket idea!  Well you may ask "Why not ship it stupid?"  Well Shipping to AK is in the $170.00 range!

Im cheap I guess

artistic_gore

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
I don't see an issue as long as it meets the weight and size requirements, if not like the others said you will have to pay an extra fee (50-$100) but I know of at least one person that did this over on pirate (I believe he had a body part but I can't remember which one)
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

-Douglas Adams

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
:rofl: body part   leg ? arm ?  j/k

there is a fee for things over 75Ibls    but at the price they are gona charge if they let U why not just ship it the right way and be done with it .
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

artistic_gore

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile

I think it was a torso...

I realized after I posted that but didn't really feel like editing. I think most people understand what I was getting at.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

-Douglas Adams

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
my buddy put chevy springs in a ski bag and took the to aussie land
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile

there is a fee for things over 75Ibls    but at the price they are gona charge if they let U why not just ship it the right way and be done with it .

UPS ground = $175.00     Oversize luggage fee = $50.00   

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
I recommend you calling the airline and asking if this is possible. If there is anything we can do to help, let me know.

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
Thanks BigMike.  I would have called them already, but I keep getting automated calls from the airline switching flights and carriers, and it seems they all have a little bit different rules.

I will just find out a few weeks before I depart. I might just need you guys to wrap it as if its gonna be shipped, I can pay whatever that may cost.

Thanks!

Luke