Author Topic: birf housing help..  (Read 1640 times)

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
birf housing help..
« on: Apr 23, 2007, 10:26:05 AM »
Hi guys I just recently took my runner down to the local shop to have them fill the birfs to the correct level with grease. (I dont have a grease gun) so, long story short i get home to find that the sweeps are puking oil. I run to look at the receipt and see that they put 85w90 in there. This morning i ran back over there and they appoligized and said they would flush it all out and replace with the correct fluids. Should i be worried that it will hurt my new bears, birfs, or even my new 5.29's& lockrite. Thanks for any help or advice guys!
Starting from scratch again...

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: birf housing help..
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2007, 10:34:41 AM »
Should be fine.
they will have to tear down your axle, rebuild it, put in new gear oil in the housing, repack your bearings with grease, repack your birfs with grease, and ya better talk to somebody to make sure they know what the hell they are doing, so far, it doesn't look like they do.

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 354
  • Member since Dec '06
  • What are you lookin' at?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2007, 10:36:37 AM »
you're supposed to back the bells and birfs with axle grease if they put 90 weight in there, they are going to have to flush it. i don't think it will mess up the birfs and bearings, but i would make them repack the bearings and birfs for the mess up. 90weight goes in the 3rd member. the inner axle seal should help prevent 90 weight from making it into the knuckles...are you saying that he filled your knuckles with 90 weight?
88 turd SAS with some "stuff" under it.
MY BUILD UP THREAD

SACD_Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2007, 10:43:02 AM »
you're supposed to back the bells and birfs with axle grease if they put 90 weight in there, they are going to have to flush it. i don't think it will mess up the birfs and bearings, but i would make them repack the bearings and birfs for the mess up. 90weight goes in the 3rd member. the inner axle seal should help prevent 90 weight from making it into the knuckles...are you saying that he filled your knuckles with 90 weight?

Yes he did. I pulled my hubs to replace the rotors and pads. You should have heard some of the words lflying out of my mouth! Plus my lap got drenched in oil/grease. I was like wtf there shouldn't be any green in here (marine grease).

ok so have them strip down the whole axle, replace all fluids including the dif, and have them repack all the bearings/birfs.

I only put about 20miles on the messup because of a front break prob, i just wanted to make sure it wouldnt seize up the birfs.

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2007, 10:49:20 AM »
they shouldn't seize up, but i wouldn't drive very far or hard with them like that. I would have been mad too. but they are going to have to repack everything and make sure they use axle grease in the bearings and birfs.

have them check your inner axle seals while you're in there unless you already did that. and just for clarification 85w90 goes in the 3rd only when it comes to the front axle...it doesn't go anywhere in knuckles.
MY BUILD UP THREAD

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2007, 10:50:21 AM »
wow, sounds like a bunch a genious's workin at that place!!!! thats why i've been doing everything on my own lately because a lot of shops have guys workin there that dont know what the hell they are doing!! at least you caught it right away!!! oh by the way, how do you like that lockrite up front???
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2007, 11:00:37 AM »
Highly unlikely anything was damaged.  A worn out axle seal will allow gear oil into the knuckle.  I've driven around years with worn axles seals with no damage to bearing/birfs, so I can't imagine 20 miles hurthing anything.

I would inspect everything though while you're in there.  I don't think I'd let that shop work on anything I owned any more though.

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

SACD_Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2007, 11:01:52 AM »
yeah i wouldn't be taking it back there if i didnt have to. Legally i have to give them a chance to fix the messup befor i can take it to a toyota dealership and make them pay for it.
The funny thing was that the worker i talked to today told the manager that grease goes in there and he told him to put 90w in there. The manager is an idiot. Well on the bright side if it did crack.. a birf i'll be getting marfields or longs. :)

SACD_Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2007, 11:03:14 AM »
Highly unlikely anything was damaged.  A worn out axle seal will allow gear oil into the knuckle.  I've driven around years with worn axles seals with no damage to bearing/birfs, so I can't imagine 20 miles hurthing anything.

I would inspect everything though while you're in there.  I don't think I'd let that shop work on anything I owned any more though.

i wish i didnt have to. I know the axle seals are fine, they only have 100 miles on them and the bearings. They just put the wrong lube in the wrong hole.

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2007, 11:32:31 AM »
i wish i didnt have to. I know the axle seals are fine, they only have 100 miles on them and the bearings. They just put the wrong lube in the wrong hole.

Dang man I'm sorry to hear this!   I would check everything they supposedly fix with a fine tooth comb!  :yesnod:
I like to Drive!

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2007, 12:45:40 PM »
They just put the wrong lube in the wrong hole.
  :yikes:
Time to go wheelin!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2007, 01:17:52 PM »
that shop is gonna screw your :pokinit: up so bad u better be careful
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2007, 02:55:07 PM »
yeah i wouldn't be taking it back there if i didnt have to. Legally i have to give them a chance to fix the messup befor i can take it to a toyota dealership and make them pay for it.
The funny thing was that the worker i talked to today told the manager that grease goes in there and he told him to put 90w in there. The manager is an idiot. Well on the bright side if it did crack.. a birf i'll be getting marfields or longs. :)
unless you drove that 20 miles  in 4hi  or  with your hubs locked,  nothing  even turned in there,  no chance at all anything was damaged,   besides getting more lube  than it needed,   

just  pull the lower  cap off the hub  then  pump a tube of grease in the plug on the top of the knuckle
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 2007, 03:10:28 PM »
correction...they put the right lube in the wrong hole ;)

As far as upgrading the birfs here's some interesting prices to take a look at while researching parts.
MC-12300, Marfield UM-06 Chromoly Joint, $249 a piece so x 2 = 500.00
MC-12108, Replacement Snap Ring Clip $1.46 x2 = 3.00
MC-12310, Alloy USA Chromoly Front Inner Axle Set, $199
Total for Marfields w/ new snap rings = 702.00 Plus Tax & Shipping
Total for Longfields 645.00 plus tax and shipping

Nothing against Marfields because i know people that run them, but Longfields are tested and proven to be the strongest in the business for less money. then you add another 140 bucks for hub gears and you're about as strong as you can get without going d60 just a thought. both long/marfields made in the usa and both are good products
MY BUILD UP THREAD

SACD_Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 23, 2007, 08:40:47 PM »
yeah guys thanks for all the help. After they replace everything my stepdads shop in bellevue is going to back through it and make sure everything is kosher. I know Longs have a lifetime warranty and are the better of the two. I just didn't want to piss anyone off. :) once again thanks. Ill let you guys know how it goes on thursday.

twistedtoy92

• Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 24, 2007, 09:40:48 AM »
Nothin at all against marlin, but the longs are just so badass id have to sport those instead! i believe that the marfields are 27 spline right??? you can get 27 or 30 spline longs!!! and for the price you really cant beat the super longs 30 spline set.....
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)