Author Topic: Will not having the spring pad in cause a pull to the left?  (Read 1396 times)

UKMyers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 188
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
I am trying to make my rig drive a little big better on the highway. It's not my DD but I'll be putting some miles on it taking it to the trails. Everything is new as it was just built. Springs are 4" TG. Axle is out of an 83 with round u-bolts. The spring pad didn't make it in during the build for some reason. I have brand new 37" MTR's all at the same pressure. We aligned it in the shop and then I paid to have to have the toe set on a rack and it's still pulling to the left some. Will putting the spring pad in fix this?? I know alot of people don't run them. I'm gonna put it in when I get some time but I'd like to know if it will get rid of that pull so I can start looking at other things if it's not gonna make a difference.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I don't think it'll make any difference putting that pad in. Make sure your steering box is in the neutral position when pointed straight ahead. If it's not it could try and pull a little bit.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
It might be the crown in the road (the way the road is arched)  :dunno: Your truck might go staight on another road  :crossed: Maybe a sticking brake caliper :dunno:  :twocents:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
that little spring pad, could be making your truck lean to the left causing that little bit of more pull on it.....

marlin, tg, allpro, make their springs to have that pad... thieir springs are equal, but its the axle tube that isnt
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
its almost a half inch difference in height. I could see it making a pretty big difference  :twocents:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
its almost a half inch difference in height. I could see it making a pretty big difference  :twocents:

I think the only thing that it will do is make it lean a little to the left under heavy braking and if you think about it if it dips or rolls left it will more likely steer to the right not the left.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
That 3/8 difference won't cause the vehicle to steer in one direction or the other. There has to be another problem, possibly something as little as uneven tire wear or low tire pressure, but more than likely it is due to wear in the steering system. A bad TRE or bad bearings could cause this too!
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
or  the

oh  :lipsrsealed:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
Make sure your axles are square to the frame. If one axle is off, it will pull. Maybe re-torque

your u-bolts

You want your axles like this |  |

Not like this |  \

You get the idea  :crossed:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

UKMyers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Tires are brand new and pressure was the first thing I checked. Axle was totally rebuilt 3 runs ago. The rig was just built. Something must not be square.

UKMyers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
I just went out and loosened my U-bolts, rocked the truck back and forth and retorqued them. I didn't drive it but hopefully it'll help.

KW

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
To totally eliminate wheels as the problem, swap front left with front right.  If pull goes to the other side, it is in the tire or rim.  If problem is the same, it's something else in the front end.  Gittinit might be right... that pad shouldn't make that much difference.  But it would be a good idea to put it in.  What were the readings when you aligned it?  Even if it can't be adjusted, you don't ignore it.  What if the axle is bent at the knuckle?  It would give you uneven camber, which can make it pull.

UKMyers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
The axle has been wheeled but it was built right with full trusses and all the goodies. I'm gonna put the pad in and go from there.