Author Topic: Source for 22re fuel injectors? Rebuild? Cost?  (Read 4308 times)

fahrenheit 451

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Source for 22re fuel injectors? Rebuild? Cost?
« on: Mar 13, 2004, 10:02:26 PM »
The internet is a conundrum, it is a vast resource and wasteland of good information.  I've been surfing and searching all over about info on fuel injectors on 22res and I probably should have just come here first  :smack:
On my '93 4Runner I have one really loud injector (#4) and I can't stand it. The truck has 113k on it so I expected to have to do some work on it when I bought it recently.  I felt pretty sure when I drove it that it was a very familiar Toyota sound and went ahead and bought it. I finally had time this week to really check and do the "mechanic's stethoscope" gag on the motor. The top end and bottom end of the motor sound great all around. Just a bunch of whirring. I then checked the injectors and although they are all somewhat noisy, #4 is a real clanker. I stuffed my hands in and finally got it unplugged and ran the engine with #4 disconnected. Other than a rougher idle, it ran fine and no clatter. Although that would change stresses on the piston, I really don't think the problem is a rod bearing or anything else as the sound stays consistent no matter the engine temp.
So, anybody know a good place to buy good injectors? This truck isn't going to be fancy so even good rebuilds would be fine with me as long as they are OEM. Also, what sort of price is reasonable? I've found everything from this place:
http://store.yahoo.com/dpstore/fuel-injectors-toyota--4-runner.html (if anybody knows what  w/jecs-- stands for I would appreciate it too, I haven't had time to check)
to other sites with single injectors costing upwards of $130.
Any info would be appreciated 'cause I can't stand the sound of it!
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2004, 10:06:18 PM by fahrenheit 451 »

gferris5

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Member since Oct '02
    • View Profile
Re:Source for 22re fuel injectors? Rebuild? Cost?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2004, 10:26:59 PM »
RC engineering in the Southern California area did mine-worked great! the whole ordeal turned out to be about 115, including gaskets, cleaners, shipping and the process-a great deal for the benefits of driveability. Good luck
85' 4Runner- SWAPPED--Dodge Caravan IFS-front and rear, 235R13's on each corner, hubcaps. Toyota Corona drivetrain swap. Locked, left and right side doors, with the windows up.

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8452
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2004, 02:07:09 AM »
I also used RC engineering and had good luck. Sent them mine & had them rebuilt & balanced.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

fahrenheit 451 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2004, 07:39:20 AM »
I also used RC engineering and had good luck. Sent them mine & had them rebuilt & balanced.

What sort of turnaround time was there from RC Engineering?  I still have my old '85 4Runner to drive around, but am getting ready to sell it and don't want to have the new 4Runner torn apart and sitting around for too long.

gferris5

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Member since Oct '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2004, 12:36:38 AM »
If you send them in on Monday, you'll at least have them by friday.They have good customer service. I'd do it again in a heart beat
85' 4Runner- SWAPPED--Dodge Caravan IFS-front and rear, 235R13's on each corner, hubcaps. Toyota Corona drivetrain swap. Locked, left and right side doors, with the windows up.

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8452
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2004, 01:01:23 AM »
Don't they have an option to pay a core deposit & send yours back later? Then you could put the new ones in & ship yours back for the core payment.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

BLUCRUZ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 241
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Mar '04
  • CA4WD LIFE MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2004, 07:37:23 PM »
I bought a whole 22re efi set up minus the ecu on e-bay for $30 and sent the injectors off to http://www.cruzinperformance.com/ for them to rebuild. cost about $65 shipped to get them done-took about 10 days total to go from the day I sent them off to when I got them back.

Great service!
72 FJ40. 350 Multiport EFI, turbo 400, ORION T-case, 35 Procomp's  disk brakes front & rear, ARB's F&R and an onboard shower for the ladies!
86 sr-5 4runner SAS conversion. E-lockers F&R, 5.29's 4.7 Marlin case.