Author Topic: Should lockers be required for the rough runs?  (Read 5854 times)

Exo

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Should lockers be required for the rough runs?
« on: Mar 04, 2007, 09:37:38 PM »
What do you guys think?

We spent at least an hour today at Knock on wood at TDS waiting for people without lockers to get pulled up.

Yes or No. If you don't got lockers, should you be allowed to go?

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Should lockers be required for the rough runs?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2007, 09:54:14 PM »
i dont have lockers, but then again, my truck doesnt have an engine either.....

i dont think it should be a requirement... if you don't like waiting for it, then lead the pack. or stay at home.... you nkow its a big run, you have the choice to go or not to go, if you want it to jsut be you and your ultra capable rig, then go out wheeling by yourself and wait for no one....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2007, 09:58:40 PM »
you know jim, sometimes you really do sound like a richard.  remember, it's the internet, we can't hear the tone of your voice.

I think it is...whats the phrase...  I guess it should be up to the person.  You can't exclude someone because they don't have certain equipment.  that said, if somebody thinks it might be a pretty tough trail, and they are unlocked, they should know better.  I run unlocked (for now), and I wheel the piss outta my rig(when I get to), but I understand the limitations, and what has to be done differently for me.  You won't catch me on Wrecking Ball or pumpkin eater, but you WILL find me on Niagara, the con(sooner or later)deer valley, slickrock, etc.  I do have the balls to take a bypass if I don't think I can make an obstacle, rather than hold everyone up.

Exo [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2007, 09:59:44 PM »

i dont think it should be a requirement... if you don't like waiting for it, then lead the pack. or stay at home.... you nkow its a big run, you have the choice to go or not to go, if you want it to jsut be you and your ultra capable rig, then go out wheeling by yourself and wait for no one....

Thing is though, All the people running were warned that it is challenging, and if you don't have lockers, you won't make it, yet, people still find it smart to go without lockers.  I'm all for them going, just hop in the passenger seat. I'm going to be honest here, I feel if you don't have lockers, you shouldn't be stopping everyone else.  I like being in lines, it's fun! But when you are warned you won't make it if you don't got them, that's probably a sign that you won't make it without being pulled.

Exo [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2007, 10:01:21 PM »
you know jim, sometimes you really do sound like a richard.  remember, it's the internet, we can't hear the tone of your voice.

I think it is...whats the phrase...  I guess it should be up to the person.  You can't exclude someone because they don't have certain equipment.  that said, if somebody thinks it might be a pretty tough trail, and they are unlocked, they should know better.  I run unlocked (for now), and I wheel the piss outta my rig(when I get to), but I understand the limitations, and what has to be done differently for me.  You won't catch me on Wrecking Ball or pumpkin eater, but you WILL find me on Niagara, the con(sooner or later)deer valley, slickrock, etc.  I do have the balls to take a bypass if I don't think I can make an obstacle, rather than hold everyone up.

Just wondering, the trail was knock on wood, on the left trail near the top.  Without lockers It's almost impossible, would you have gone for it?

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2007, 10:03:07 PM »
Think is though, All the people running were warned that it is challenging, and if you don't have lockers, you won't make it, yet, people still find it smart to go without lockers. I'm all for them going, just hop in the passenger seat. I'm going to be honest here, I feel if you don't have lockers, you shouldn't be stopping everyone else.  I like being in lines, it's fun! But when you are warned you won't make it if you don't got them, that's probably a sign that you won't make it without being pulled.

if that is the case, it would be the exception to what I said.  if it is clearly stated, lockers are a must, then they should not have been there.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2007, 10:04:31 PM »
Just wondering, the trail was knock on wood, on the left trail near the top.  Without lockers It's almost impossible, would you have gone for it?

never been down there, don't know the trail. but from what you have said, NO.  I'm not that confident about my skills. :gap:

Exo [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2007, 10:07:10 PM »
if that is the case, it would be the exception to what I said.  if it is clearly stated, lockers are a must, then they should not have been there.

I'm 99% sure that they said lockers were a must, I know a few guys left right before we headed into it thinking they wouldn't make it.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2007, 05:53:44 PM »

It goes the other way too.  If it is a big run, and you don't have lockers, realize that you may be holding up a huge line, because you couldn't get out of the way of your pride.    Lockers don't make an unltracapable rig, but they certainly help.

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Loosekannon

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 1,301
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SoCal--ROCKBRAWLERS--
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2007, 06:22:50 PM »
Yes they should have lockers....if they don't, then they start trying to power threw everything and break stuff. Then the trail run just got longer.
Thats at events. If some weekend you and some friends want to hit the trail and try....Go for it
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2007, 06:27:50 PM by Loosekannon »

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Yes they should have lockers....if they don't, then they start trying to power threw everything and break stuff.

Can make for some interesting spectating though! I've noticed people tend to get the most excited about 2 trucks in the group, usually the most equipped and least equipped truck..just an observation.

there is a time and place for this kind of thing..on an organized trail run like loosecannon said, NO.

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I think the event coordinators should set the requirements, though I can't say much since I've taken sub-par vehicles places that they should not have been. Still I have also parked my rigs and hopped in with a friend when I realize that I'm in way over my head. It all boils down to thinking of others and not hold things up just because you wanna play too. Three things come into play when determining your capabilities, first how experienced of a wheeler you are, the limits of your vehicle and if you get into trouble you should have a group that you are with and that are willing to get you out of the way of others. It pisses people off to have to sit and wait for hours for some novice wheeler that came alone and has a relatively stock vehicle.
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2007, 07:01:12 PM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

dizzydevil

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -70
  • Male Posts: 1,491
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
Most of the runs i have gone on do have  requirements for lockers, winches, tire sizes ect. That being said i agree with loosekannon that if you want to try it go for it with a few friends on the weekend when you won't be holding everyone up!

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
If it is an organized club event where lockers are specified as a needed item to participate, then yes.

If I'm on my own, out having fun, I'll go where ever I want in my in my unlocked stock POS and not care what anyone said. Then again, I'd also have the courtesy to let others go first, or get the hell out of the way.

beater82

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Mar '04
  • metheads suck!
    • View Profile
Yeah, I hate to sound like a snob but, if you're goin' on a big run with a bunch of rigs and they state lockers are required for the trail then leave you're open diffed rig at camp. You're gonna' piss some people off. My rig is pretty ghetto compared to others but I got 2 lockers and spare parts. Would you be somewhat annoyed on the 'con if you came accross some guy that was stuck and out of oil. I mean if the guy was all like " Hey dude, do you have a tow strap? Ahh jeez, dude. Do you have any extra oil?"

Go prepared. Wheelin' your stocker is cool. We all started with that but, don't go on a "lockers recommended" trail run with a line of 20 rigs behind you. All your' gonna do is piss a bunch of people off behind you while you're gettin' hung up on a bunch of gay stuff.

Besides, they have "powder puff" runs that are fine for a stocker. Hell, hook up with a H2 club. :dunno:

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
What do you guys think?

We spent at least an hour today at Knock on wood at TDS waiting for people without lockers to get pulled up.

Yes or No. If you don't got lockers, should you be allowed to go?

ok it looks like there are 2 issues here that did not present itself when i first posted... if the event coordinators stated lockers are a must, and you didnt pass the tech inspection on that, then you shouldnt have been allowed on the run

now if it isnt specified and a lesser equipped vehicle gets stuck, well then it got stuck.... get out of your truck, and go help the poor guy
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Exo [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Everyone did get out and go help them :) 

It was the TDS last week where it was. 

Funny thing, the day before I was with my uncle and his air compressor died and he had ARB (uh oh) It took like 2 or 3 tries, but we made it through the orange trail. (Right after the spotter said there's no shame in taking the green trail!)  Thing is, we didn't notice the compressor was broken until we were already way up and getting stuck.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
if they don't require lockers i dont see a problem with wheelin your truck  but if u start to hold up the line then get out of the way and let people pass. that go for anyone not just lesser equiped rigs.  Dont be THAT guy on the trail

Drew
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
I think this is a pretty simple issue.

The same thing goes for classes at college. The whole reason why they have something known as, drum roll please, "prerequisites", is because if you don't meet the requirements for the class, then you won't be able to learn on the same level as others who have, and you will most likely piss off the teacher and you are likely to get a bad grade.

For the same reason why I do not try to enroll into an organic chemistry class tomorrow, I would not take an unprepared rig to a trail where lockers front and rear are needed. I a) won't be able to wheel on the same level as those rigs who are prepared, b) will likely piss off people on the trail, and c) will brake something or cause some harm in some way (the F grade).

That is where ambition and motivation to build up a rig comes from, in most cases, in my opinion. Thus, that is why companies like Marlin Crawler and ARB exist because people see tough trails and they determine the appropriate equipment needed.

I know that ANY rig is liable to break down, but if you break down exactly because you were knowingly underprepared with an underrated rig for a trail, then that is garbage.

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
I had a big disscusion on another site about this a few weeks ago. I posted about the run on a trail that the monsoon season totally tore up (made it better :gap:) Well I stated that  you needed lockers and 35's and some low crawl gears/ratio. Friend of mine got mad saying that I was only allowing people with built rigs on the trail.  In a since I was, but he knows very well that that is the equipment required to run the trail now. Funny thing is he has a rig capable of the trail and wasn't even planning on going.  :shake:

The whole reason I built my rig like I did was to run trails that are hard. I would never take a rig on a 4-5 rated trail without 2 lockers.   

With that said, if you wanna run a hard trail without lockers go ahead, you just wont catch me doing it. Nor will I invite someone that doesn't. :beerchug:
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

fatt_matt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 545
  • Member since Mar '07
  • jeeps and toys can get along
    • View Profile
no...    lockers SHOULD not be mandatory...

1.)  i got a YJ whose unlocked, and i can still wheel that just as hard as people who lock it up...
2.)  Some people just cant go out buying lockers, and wheeling should be fun, and only a little bit expensive
3.)  If someone is not locked up. it's an excuse to help them out and give them a lesson on why running lockers is important.
Jeep

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
Nothing should be "mandatory" as far as equipment on a vehicle. That being said, if you go out wheeling with a group and there are questions about your rig's abilities for the particular trail you are running, you need to let everyone else in the group know.  ;) I have always followed the rule that you never leave anyone behind on the trail.  Here are two examples:

1. At the All Pro run a couple of months ago at the Hammers, we had several catastrophic failures on the trail and more than half the group ran back to camp. :thumbdown: It took several hours to get these three rigs through the trail. I didn't mind because the rigs were prepared for the trail's difficulty, the breakage was just bad luck (or maybe not, they were Jeeps :pokinit:) and the people involved were appreciative and did their best to fix it on the trail.  :clap2:

2. I joined a group on a "Beginner's Run" where one of the vehicles was not prepared. Much to his credit, he let everyone know in advance that he might have difficulty (and he did) but we knew in advance that some work might be necessary.  :clap2:

Now if our victims failed to disclose the limitations and had their stock, open diffed vehicles that they hammered through the trail causing failure, my attitude would be different. Totally different if the victims had a poor attitude on top of it all.  :grr: Bottom line is, once you commit yourself to a group, you should be prepared to do your best to keep up. If you know you might hold the group back, you need to find an easier run or let everyone know so we can decide to part ways. :twocents:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Nothing should be "mandatory" as far as equipment on a vehicle. That being said, if you go out wheeling with a group and there are questions about your rig's abilities for the particular trail you are running, you need to let everyone else in the group know.   I have always followed the rule that you never leave anyone behind on the trail. 
:imwithstupid:

I don't think anyone should be required to have anything.  That's just like saying "My rig is better than yours", and that's not the way this sport works.  HOWEVER, there are common courtesies that EVERY wheeler oughtta abide by, as stated above.  If you're dumb enough to go out on the trail and hold everyone up KNOWING that your rig is not capable to do the whatever trail in question, then you don't belong on that trail. 

It is a trail, to be enjoyed by all who are responsible enough to use it.  You just gotta be courteous and smart about it....

...Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad apples that need to be :kickbutt:  But we deal with them.  Like stated above, never leave a fellow wheeler behind. :thumbs:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
No doubt, lockers do help  :gap:. Just don't sell yourself or your driving skills short by believing the only way to make every trail possible is by having them  :nope:. I have run and have seen people run some rather difficult trails fully open front/rear with minimal problems. Although it does come at a small price. Each obstacle may have to be tackled with either a little more speed or just pick a slightly different line or both. There is a limit however and that again takes skill in knowing what that limit is and that's when you need lockers. I have a saying,"Traction is key, But momentum is king".  :eyebrow:  With or without lockers the key is to have enough wheels on the ground to be able to keep moving so even lockers aren't fool proof  :driving:. Your best bet would probably be to run it like it is until you've decided on doing a teardown then put them in. I have one in the front only and it still makes for a challenging drive now and again. If it were too easy it wouldn't be any (operative word here) FUN!  :bananasplit: I hope whatever you decide you enjoy what you've built.  :best: