Author Topic: 22r/22re/22rte?? Which motor?  (Read 3403 times)

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
22r/22re/22rte?? Which motor?
« on: Jan 28, 2007, 02:13:31 PM »
Well, I've been trying to get my motor running!  I haven't gotten very far, life, cold weather, and my job have not helped one bit! 

But here's the scoop!

I've got the 22rte motor with 202,000 hard miles!  It's got a new head some miles back!  The truck has been sitting for 3 years!  It tries to fire, but I get about 3 to 5 ignites and then nothing!  Then it won't fire at all!  It has a electrical draw somewhere, the battery will be dead the next morn!  I bought this truck with the idea that it may need a rebuilt motor!  Well, I've been checking on rebuilt prices!  To replace and rebuild the motor/turbo is not cheap!  So, I've seriously been thinking about putting a 22re in!  So, what is interchangeable between the 22re and the rte?  So, will I have to do a whole ecm, wire harness, intake, fuel pump and etc. swap?  Has anybody done this?  I would love to go 3rz, but I feel that would be beyond my abilities right now!  Maybe the next truck!  Any input would be helpful!   

I'd be willing to go to a 22r and just simplify the whole engine compartment and get it down the basics!  I love carb'd motors they are so simple to work on!  I want to venture into some rock crawling, but not hardcore!  I want a truck that will do what I want it to do!  Haul brush, firewood, trail ride, DD, tow a  small trailer, minor rock crawling, go to sandlake?  What do ya'll think! 

I want to get this truck running soon, but I don't want to do a half-ass job!  I want to do this right!  Taxes are coming in the next couple weeks!  So, I have some $ to spend!  So, some of your ideas would be helpful! 

Thanks~
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: 22r/22re/22rte?? Which motor?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2007, 05:46:37 PM »
22rte won't be much of an advatage offroad since it kicks in at about 2500rpm but put that thing on a highway and :woohoo: even with 33's or 35's and the right gearing they move. One time at the 4Runner Jamboree someone broke a rear u-joint and I drove him from Gorman to Bakersfield and back. He had a 3.0 and commented that I had more power than he did.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2007, 12:08:16 PM »
Yeah, turbo's on the highway would be cool, but I want to try to simplify things.  From what I've been told the ct20's are not a very good turbo!  I just can't verify spending $2000 for a 22rte rebuilt motor, when I can get a 22re rebuilt motor for 1/2 that!  Then getting the turbo rebuilt or replaced is another grand!  This is why I want to go 22re.  I just need to know what is interchangable and isn't!  I don't have a local toyota dealership to visit.  I would like to get this ironed out soon!  So, I can get on the net and start searching for parts! 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:44:42 PM »
I often debate the 22r vs. 22RTE for an eventual swap.  Seems to me that th RTE is going to be more $$ to get set up with a better turbo(appearantly the factory one is no good) but if you already have it you are ahead of the game,but for me to rebuild it right with all the good parts it just wont make much sense!!!  1/2 the cash into a 22re and you can have a great motor!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:58:58 PM »
Then getting the turbo rebuilt or replaced is another grand! 

Not when you snag a ct26 off a supra from the junk yard for chump change :thumbs:  I hafta think you can get a rebuild for far less than 2 grand, I thought the most substantial difference in the blocks is lower compression :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2007, 05:51:52 PM »
I also thought about the Turbo motor.  I don't think it really has a good advantage on the trails.  My vote would be for a 22RE.

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2007, 10:00:53 AM »
I just found a guy that is selling his rig on CL and he had a turbo motor and switched to a 22re!  He had enginebuilder build a motor for him!  He said it all switched over, just have to build a motor that can handle the larger injectors!  So, it sounds like my plan will be to get a 22re and get the smaller injectors!  Because, I don't want to go stroker, which basically sounds like what I'd have to do!  More research is needed!

robrub00

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -231
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Apr '05
  • One Day Ill be actually driving my toyota!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
x2 on the ct26 of a supra, why would the engine rebuilt cost more for the 22rte than the 22re 22re they are the same block just different pistons.  atre you planning on buying a used 22re? as for differencesthere is a oil hole drilled for the turbo on the block. the head is a little different i think. but it shouldnt be hard to get it going. the ecu is different I think the harness is pined out different too.  you could sell the harness and ecu on ebay they are hard to find.  i think the afm is different too. if you sold the ct20 the manifold the wiring harness and the ecu and the fance turbo guage clusted you could probably sell that for more than the 22re counter parts.  but it all depends what you want the outcome to be.

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:15:17 AM »
I feel that having the turbo motor setup, is not beneficial for me!  The only times I would need the turbo setup, would be in the mountain passes.  But, I talked to Skinny Pedal and he had a truck that had the turbo motor setup, and converted it over to a 22re.  He said he basically just swapped out the motor.  Reused the turbo afm, tps, intake, and ecm.  I figured it would be easy, just had to look for somebody that had done this swap!  I'm not looking for a whoa-nelly motor, just a solid, reliable motor setup!

4x4Haze

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Male Posts: 337
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2007, 07:51:24 PM »
Ive got a truck with a 22r and i had one with the 22re and i wish i still had that motor itll give you all you need, its a strong motor i beat mine to hell and it never quit
A jumper cable walks into a bar. The bartender says, "I'll serve you, but dont start anything."