Author Topic: Front disc brake issues  (Read 2063 times)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Front disc brake issues
« on: Nov 28, 2006, 06:49:31 PM »
Hey everybody. I just installed new leaf springs front and rear and I just upgraded to high steer on my 1985 4runner. Along with all this i decided to upgrade my rearend to an 88 v6 axle and improve my front disc brakes. Reading the Faq on Pirate as well as about a dozen different opinions on how to do this set up, I am still a little confused. Since everyone seemed to have their own idea about what was best, I figured I would try using IFS wheel hubs, marlin rotors, marin brake calipers, and a v6 brake master cyl. After trying to get it all together with the IFS hubs, it seemed I would need to get longer studs and a wheel spacer to get it together right. I am thinking perhaps no larger than a 1/4 inch wheel spacer at the most.

Has anyone done this? marlin rotors/calipers/pads with ifs wheel hubs, a small spacer and longer studs?

Now, since i need to move the truck i put everything together with the 85 hubs. With the calipers tighened all the way and everything put back together, the caliper ever so slightly rubs on the rotor itself. Since all this stuff came from Marlin Crawler i guess I assumed that it would bolt on no problemo. The IFS hub deal was a gamble because i think in order to get that to work i may have to get different rotors? (marlins are fj60 but maybe i need fj 40...not sure the difference) Not really sure. I thought using IFS hubs was a solution so i didnt have to run spacers. This will be a daily driver and see some freeway miles so i want my front end to be stout, and i have never really liked the idea of wheel spacers to begin with. I really am not sure why the rotor is rubbing on the caliper. looking at it from above it looks like the rotor is extremely close to the caliper, but it apppears as if they arent touching. as soon as I turn it though, a tiny scuff mark can be seen on the rotor from where it is making contact. Do i need to gride away a small area of the caliper just above the pads? Or have i done something else really stupid and just not realized it.

I hope this all makes sense, i dont have a camera so i cant take any pictures. Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Nick
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Front disc brake issues
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2006, 06:55:34 PM »
yes i  think  the ifs rotor must have fj40  rotors,

i havent dont this  so im not sure but i know  someone here has
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2006, 07:00:20 PM »
any wheel spacer that jsut slips on, is crap, if any wheel spacer is used, it should have its won studs and lugs to attach
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2006, 07:49:15 PM »
I think i'm thinking the same thing you are describing, if so this will make sense, if not....disreguard.
I did a similar setup back in the day, I gournd a little off the caliper mounting tabs (very carefully to keep the surfaces even). This allowed the caliper to move over enough to center the rotor in the opening.
Ultimately, having the caliper tab surface "machined" would be more precise.

eightyfive

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 232
  • Male Posts: 552
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2006, 09:02:27 PM »
i've done this swap...i used

81' vented rotors from a FJ40
88' V6 calipers (2 BIG pistons)
1.5" wheel spacers to match my IFS rear
solid axle hubs

now, the above combo worked with NO problems, i could of just gone 1" spacers in the front but i wen't 1.5".  The V6 calipers with the 2 BIG pistons are too big and will not work without spacers at least 3/4" to 1" thick. You CAN grind down the caliper but i wouldn't. here is the order they went in..
rotor
hub
spacer
caliper

what YOU are trying to do is the IFS HUB swap which is much safer on the road because the wheel itself doesn't bolt to a spacer like the above setup and it widens the front stance by about 3" like the above setup. Instead the wheel bolts to the hub which has a spacer between the rotor and hub. This spacer (special spacer) is can be ordered at SKY and costs a pretty penny. The first setup is WAY cheaper which is why i chose it over this one. here is the order they should go in
rotor
spacer
hub
caliper

someone correct me if am wrong about the second setup which i haven't done.
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2006, 09:07:01 PM by eightyfive »
._________________________________________.
||____________||____________||___T0Y0TA__||
||____________||____________||____________||
1985 TOYOTA 4RUNNER

some modifications here and there....

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2006, 11:44:50 PM »
Thanks for the information guys. I messed around with everything and disovered that the dust/rock shield was barely getting in the way, making it so that the calipers were slightly off center. all i had to do was bend the shield a little bit and it all works out perfectly. I just have to bleed the brakes like crazy tomorrow because i still have a ton of play in the brake pedal. anyway, thanks again guys take it easy.  :beerchug:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting