Author Topic: New drums & rotors... brakes still pulsating  (Read 3213 times)

spacoli

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 61
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
New drums & rotors... brakes still pulsating
« on: Nov 15, 2006, 05:39:38 PM »
Hi guy's, I have another question.

Just had drums installed the other day, so I thought I should have new rotors on also because the brakes were really pulsating and vibration.

Had new rotors installed and the pulsating has not even subsided hardly at all. Seems to be more noticable at lower speeds and it vibrates the whole truck.

Is it possible something else worn out in the drivetrain? I have detected a little humming noise and have noticed some more noticable vibrating when downshifting.

I had just replaced the one rear u-joint and didn't think the other one was bad, but maybe it is. Would this cause the pusating and vibration when braking?

FYI... this truck has sitting for over 2 yrs, had allot of rust build up around everything that could rust.

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Re: New drums & rotors... brakes still pulsating
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2006, 05:50:05 PM »
Sounds like a driveline viberation. Check to see if the pinion is loose on the rear end.

Also chect to see if the phase is correct on the drive shaft. If you were to lay the shaft on a flat surface the flatts on the inside joint holders should sit flat and not 90* to each other.

If you put jack stands under the axle, removed the tires and put the lug nuts back on the drums. Spin it up to speed and see if the truck still shakes. If it does it is a driveline problem If it don't it is in the tires.

Seems to be more noticable at lower speeds and it vibrates the whole truck.

Check the tires and make sure you don't have one with the cords slipping. It will cause it to have a bulge or be egg shaped.

:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2006, 10:28:54 PM »
Reminds me of a 35" BFG that had a big bubble in the thread.

Spin your tires and look for thread wear
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

Bloomcounty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2006, 07:19:21 AM »
PLease forgive the stupid question ! but you did put new brake pads and shoes on 2 right ?

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2006, 02:37:34 PM »
PLease forgive the stupid question ! but you did put new brake pads and shoes on 2 right ?

I would hope so and also turning them to make sure they are true, but this will only cause a viberation when braking. I most likely will only be a pulsation.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2006, 03:02:04 PM »
Just went through this with the Focus, it had a horrible vibration and I knew it needed brakes so I went ahead and did a brake job on it. Well she takes it and says still doing it, so I'm thinking that the rotors may be warped. Nope they were true, so next (should've looked anyways) I check my tires and yup they were cupped bad. Got new tires and no more vibration, oh and I put new struts on it too since bad struts cause the cupping.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2006, 03:09:59 PM »
Just went through this with the Focus, it had a horrible vibration and I knew it needed brakes so I went ahead and did a brake job on it. Well she takes it and says still doing it, so I'm thinking that the rotors may be warped. Nope they were true, so next (should've looked anyways) I check my tires and yup they were cupped bad. Got new tires and no more vibration, oh and I put new struts on it too since bad struts cause the cupping.

:werd: I've had that problem before :doh:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

spacoli [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2006, 01:52:37 PM »
Sorry guys for not chiming in, I forgot to set up for the reply notification email .

I did not change the pads or shoes, I was told I wouldn't need to, I guess I should right?

My tires are indeed shot, worn choppy and out of round from sitting for years. I plan on getting them change this week.

There is some slop and klunking in the rear end.

Here is what I found out today.....

I pulled the drums and found one side the brake shoes engauged the drum even and you can plainly see it on the drums. The other side I noticed as I spun the wheel there was a spot that got tight as it was rotated. I then looked inside the drum and I seen spots where the brake shoes were ingauging more than other spots of the drum.

I then installed one of the old drums and took it for a drive, the problem went away. I only had a little bit of pusating, I think that's from uneven brake pads and shoes. So I will be heading to the parts store to get another drum exchange, shoe and pads.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2006, 01:57:27 PM by spacoli »

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2006, 02:20:45 PM »
get your drums turned. any auto parts store can do it for like 10 to 15 bucks.  Check them for any cracks, scores or scratches. Same with the rotors. If the shoes are worn down to less than 1/16th inch from the metal backing, they need to be replaced. If the pads are less than 1/8 inch thick they need to be replaced
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

spacoli [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2006, 03:36:10 PM »
The drums and rotors are brand new (drum defective), surface is not true, I will take it back to the parts store and they will give me another. This is already the second drum, the first one was too small or out of round at the hub, would not fit on. Bad quality control!

The original drums and rotors were very rusty from the truck sitting for over two years.

The pads and shoes have plenty material left on them, I was told from the mechanic that replaced the rotors, that any uneven area of the pad will even out and not hurt the rotor.

Is this true or should I replace them?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
The drums and rotors are brand new (drum defective), surface is not true, I will take it back to the parts store and they will give me another. This is already the second drum, the first one was too small or out of round at the hub, would not fit on. Bad quality control!

The original drums and rotors were very rusty from the truck sitting for over two years.

The pads and shoes have plenty material left on them, I was told from the mechanic that replaced the rotors, that any uneven area of the pad will even out and not hurt the rotor.

Is this true or should I replace them?
This is a good example of why u should use OEM toyota parts for your brakes. I would never consider using anything else....especially for a safety component such as steering or brakes. U can use the old rusty drums. I would return the defective part and just get the old ones turned. save yourself some cash
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

spacoli [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
The old ones were cracked around the stud holes from the mechanic heating them up to get them off.

So far one out of three drums were good, I will just try another, if the next one is good, carquest will be batting 500.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I don't understand why a mechanic would tell you not to replace the pads since you are taking apart in the first place, that just don't make since since pads are sooooooo inexpensive.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
I used to work in a tire/brake shop, and we always used new pads/shoes with all new drums/rotors.  Especially the pads/shoes that had any irregular wear to them!  And I've rarely seen a drum/rotor come from the factory without needing turned.  Alot of times there will be a small spot that needs to be trued! 
Alot of mechanics will tell ya that you don't need new pads, cause they will know you'll be back to have the job finished right again!  I've seen a badly worn pad eat right through a new rotor in less than 5000 miles! 

I'd go and have the rotors and drums turned, do a complete brake job, (loaded calipers, wheel cylinders, & spring package) and then check your tires (said your replacing anyway), check the rest of your u-joints, and look for bad shocks or struts!  Bearings could be another option!  Or a bent d-shaft?
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
I was told from the mechanic that replaced the rotors, that any uneven area of the pad will even out and not hurt the rotor.
drugs....seriously, it's either drugs or inbreeding.. :headshake: I would recommend you find a new mechanic.

and secondly,
This is what happens when you buy cheap parts.  stop shopping at kragens/autozone and go to NAPA, and get United brake parts,  or go straight to Toyota.

spacoli [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
drugs....seriously, it's either drugs or inbreeding.. :headshake: I would recommend you find a new mechanic.

I have had a couple mechanics tell me this, the guy who installed the rotors said there was only slight grooves in the pads and they would even out.

This guy has a early 80's Toyota ( he has had it since high school 82), that you need a step ladder to get into. It looks like a mini monster truck. He also had a mud style dragster sitting next to it. I would think he would know what he is talking about when it comes to mechanic stuff.

and secondly, This is what happens when you buy cheap parts.  stop shopping at kragens/autozone and go to NAPA, and get United brake parts,  or go straight to Toyota.

Yes I'm learning that fast, I'm geting tired of taking off the rear wheel and drum.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
That's why I'm going disc and ditching the drum brakes!  I hated taking them frickin things off to check brakes for a customer.  Only to find out the reason he had us do it, is cause he stripped out the bolt holes in the drums!!!!!   :censored:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen