Author Topic: GOT A NEW TOY  (Read 3009 times)

dune_it86

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 323
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Toyfanatic
    • View Profile
GOT A NEW TOY
« on: Oct 20, 2006, 08:05:26 PM »
i picked up an 81 toy long bed 4x4 for 800.00 they picked me up and i drove it a half an hour home runs fine i would like to run 37'' boggers will they clear with all pro 5" prings in the front (gettin a good deal on all pro)

dune_it86 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Toyfanatic
    • View Profile
Re: GOT A NEW TOY
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2006, 08:08:36 PM »
as soon as i brought it home i started to work on it i put 3" shackles in rear and 2" up front then slid a set of worn out 35 bfg's on polished rims and they leared just fine i fell in love with the tuck completely. i even nicknamed it big bird cuz it is bright yellow

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2006, 08:10:08 PM »
:worthless:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Doosty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Male Posts: 92
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2006, 02:29:45 PM »
i dunnoo about 37's?  i have 35's on mine with appx 6.5 up front and they still shuv my fenders in.
You Haven't Seen Cold Till You Lived Here

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2006, 02:33:20 PM »
i dunnoo about 37's?  i have 35's on mine with appx 6.5 up front and they still shuv my fenders in.
u can get away with as little as 3" lift on 35's doosty. u need to cut those babys man!

yes, 5 inches should be ok for 37's. Do not go more than that! If it rubs it can always be fixed with BFH and sawzall :flamer: Remember your COG. U want it as low as possible. Personally, I'm going to go with 4" for 37's :disturbed:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

dune_it86 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Toyfanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2006, 08:00:23 PM »
i will cut the front fenders strait forward right below the running lights and built a heavy bumper sorry no pics cuz no digi cam

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2006, 12:31:51 AM »
i ran 40's with 3 inch body and 3 inch suspension on my 1st gen.  Work great.  Not a huge amount of flex but it worked just fine for snow wheeling.

dune_it86 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Toyfanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2006, 06:49:56 AM »
I just really wanna out wheel my best friends we have about the same amount of experince and skill, one has an (rob) 84 lg. bed on 38 toyo's and 5.71's flexy springs and pivoting shackles, the other frend has an (adam)84 ex cab with a full trail gear suspension lift 37 boggers spol rear lock right front(stock axle shafts) duals 5.29's and it goes awsome. what sugestions do you hae we live in oregon rob is a finess driver adam is a balls to the wall driver i kinda do what ever feels right, when in dout gas it

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2006, 07:22:42 PM »
well my setup works really good for me and I do a little of both (balls to the wall and finess) when I wheel.  I got  set of 5.29's with a lockright up front and 30 splines and TRD E-locker out rear.  Stock 2.28 duals with 4" Marlin springs.  I have a header on my rig and run a catless exhuast with a LC Engineering header and Flowmast 40 series with 2.5" tubing.  It runs really good for me.  I have it riding on 37.14.50x15 Toyo's on 15x12 MTClassic II's.  I have done lots of snow wheeling with it and been to Moab.  I haven't found anything yet within reason that I can't drive up.  For me its the best setup I've driven.  You can make a rig really flexy but it doesn't exactly mean its going to work well.  I would just stick to something simple and run it. 

dune_it86 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Toyfanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2006, 04:15:46 AM »
point taken into consideration i have always believed that no matter how far you go, it's the driver not the truck. any ways i have figured out what i am goin to run on the new toy, I will do a trail gear classic front lift(cheap and works) front wheel spacers (what 1's do i need?) rear i will use Genuine 4" rear spings + a shackle, 86 rear housing, 5.29 gears spool rear (after i get 30 splines i will get an air or e locker

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2006, 10:54:20 AM »
I say go with hybrid rear springs up front and a longer lift spring out rear.  Wheel spacers IMO shouldn't be any wider than 1.5" because you have alot of leverage the further you go out, which in turn stresses out the R/P, axles and locker and housing.  And in regards to the brand I'd say Marlins but it really doesn't matter really because I've ones from each company and don't really see a differance with any of them.

dune_it86 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Toyfanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2006, 05:01:02 PM »
i decided to go with the trail gear cuz it is the cheapest and comes with a complete axle rebuilt, i am going to to the marlin knuckle ball kit + a bunch of my own trussing, i am kind worried about the genuine springs 4'' rear because they are factory length. but i plan on setting my shackles at 45* angle, a small lift block(to level it) and u-bolt flip kit, will the 1.5'' spacers evenup the front end with the 86 rear axle

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2006, 06:42:10 PM »
or get some mazda rear springs.  I've run them as well and they seem to be pretty flexy but fairly stable.  Run a little bit of a lift block if you have to but keep those to a minimal height.  I'd really shy away from the genuine springs.  I've run them and they ride like CRAP.  No flex at all and just suck.  I think it will really hinder how your rig peforms.  You'll have a decent setup up front and a really bad one out back.  I know this is only my opinion but I'm just trying to save you some headache later on down the road.

dune_it86 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Toyfanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2006, 05:59:40 PM »
The mazda springs should they be 2wd or 4wd cuz i have lots of access to mazda stuff, what all do i need to run them? will they provide any lift?  how sould i get the rear to match the front height

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 25, 2006, 06:51:32 PM »
Wheel spacers IMO shouldn't be any wider than 1.5" because you have alot of leverage the further you go out, which in turn stresses out the R/P, axles and locker and housing. 

"Lucy, you have some explaining to do!"

I don't follow the logic completely.  How do they add stress to the R&P or locker?

I haven't found anything yet within reason that I can't drive up.   

:whistle:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

dune_it86 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Toyfanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 27, 2006, 03:09:46 AM »
got rocks please tell me more about mazd springs very interested, like how to accomlish lift with them what ones do i need and any other info you have for me on them

yotabj

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • MAD FLEX YO!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 27, 2006, 07:13:48 AM »
2wd mazda's  off the older b2000 series i believe     52" ..  26.5x25.5 ..   you can keep the factory rear mount b ut you have to move the front..I always run a couple toy leafs in the pack with toy overload..but you will need a traction bar, I have 3 to 4 inchs of lift come from these springs
'84  Truggy EFI swap ,5.29's Detroit,welded,Dual Ultimate Cases,22re,3 in. downey,4 in.Marlin Front springs on back  114 wb ,39.5 Rockers,30 Spline Longs

Doosty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Male Posts: 92
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 27, 2006, 02:21:46 PM »
im running some mazda's on my truck and the flex is wicked.  a lil soft tho for dd.. i get allot of body roll going fast around corners..
You Haven't Seen Cold Till You Lived Here