Author Topic: What is the best front leaf spring for pure flex?  (Read 2822 times)

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
What is the best front leaf spring for pure flex?
« on: Oct 22, 2006, 03:33:44 PM »
I am running AP 3" front buggy leafs now. I think they are just too soft for my pickup with the winch. What spring will work the best for pure trail only performance? Is it true that 5" inch springs are softer and flex more than the 4" springs? Or has anybody experimented with removing leafs from a 4" or 5" spring pack? Thanks.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

olivedrab85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 548
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Ghost ride the whip"
    • View Profile
I removed a spring from my 5" and they sagged alot, put it back in and they're fine. I've heard the 5" spring has a softer rate than the 4". They flex real good after broke in.
"Gotta keep it G rated for Marlin"   my runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26527.0

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
get some alcans, and tell them u want some soft ones for alot of flet as long as u are not running a huge front bumper with a winch

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
I am running AP 3" front buggy leafs now. I think they are just too soft for my pickup with the winch. What spring will work the best for pure trail only performance? Is it true that 5" inch springs are softer and flex more than the 4" springs? Or has anybody experimented with removing leafs from a 4" or 5" spring pack? Thanks.
Hey Cole  :wave:  sounds like what you need  to do  is take a leaf from a F150 pack  and ad it into your 3 inch pack
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Thanks Glen that is a good idea. I have never messed around with adding leafs before. Will adding springs make the spring much more firm or increase lift? What effect will it give me. I like how soft the spring is but they just sagged too much. I am still exploring my options. I plan on calling Alcan tomorrow but I don't know if I want to spend that much for springs :ack:

Would removing a leaf from a 5" pack make it sag down to around a 3" or 4"?

boggerunner

• Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
i love workin 1/2 a mile away from alcan, i can always stop by there on my lunch break and shoot the shirt

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
rears up front are the bomb and they dont cost anything plus you build them how you want them

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
rears up front are the bomb and they dont cost anything plus you build them how you want them

:thumbs:  Ultimate in tunability.  I plan to go this route, maybe try a couple different setups and document my pack makeup, even though I already have new 4" springs. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Pat has a good point,  take  a long leaf from your old rears  and add it into your 3 inchers  this  will give you a little lift

or  do the F150  ad a leaf,  as long as the springs  arent  some thick aftermarket  "add a leaf"  the spring rate will go up  but  not reduce flex

youve seen pictures  of my bumper  :yikes:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile

youve seen pictures  of my bumper  :yikes:
:aaa:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Will Rears up front flex better than a good aftermarket spring? I have many sets of rears and can modify or add springs but I always heard that any "junkyard" spring is just a cheap alternative to a good aftermarket spring. That they are not better but just about as good for next to nothing in price.

smalltowncowboy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
ive seen quite a few people around my town running the rear IFS springs up front and chevy 63" springs in the rear. they all seam to flex pretty good. im looking at an 81 right now with the chevy springs in the rear already so ill just have to build some new front spring packs for it.
one thing after another

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Cole  i'd  just ad a leaf from one of those rear packs you have to your 3 inch front packs,.  maybe  even 2 leaves

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
my front packs  are 6 leaves,  and youve seen my pics  on my buildup thread

well maybe not my last pics,  go have a look