Author Topic: Rockwell'd runner  (Read 5714 times)

dane

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 62
  • Member since Mar '06
  • HOOLIGAN ROCK CREW
    • View Profile
Rockwell'd runner
« on: Apr 07, 2006, 04:34:35 PM »
Just want to show some pics of the runner I picked up late last year.  Changes so far are some newer 44's on recentered hummer wheels.  The hummer wheels made it wide as hell, but being that tall it made it very stable.  She is big, but I love this rig, currently has a 4.3 dual cases and leaf springs.  End of summer plan on linking it front and rear with a sbc350/sm465/twin stick d300.  Will probably drop a 4 to 1 in the d300 before the swap.  I have the drivetrain in the garage, but want to wheel for a season before tearing it apart.  I also need to swap out the front springs, wrapped the hell out of them snow wheeling about a month ago.  Let me know what you guys think!!  I am always down for some input be it positive or negative.

Dane
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2006, 06:07:45 PM by dane »
HOOLIGAN ROCK CREW, DON'T YOU KNOW??

Jared

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Rolled baby.... IN front of my house....
    • View Profile
Re: Rockwell'd runner
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2006, 08:15:25 PM »
dane thats lookin sic man.... its 82yotacrawler from pirate... kid in elk grove.... that thing is wicked....  is it a 4.3 with tpi or tbi????and how do you like the 4.3???
ah the beauty of a cuttin torch

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2006, 08:18:14 PM »
Dayuuummm. that things huge! I like it though.  So have you rolled it yet?   :welcome:  to MarlinCrawler   :beerchug:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

pickemup81

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2006, 09:53:25 PM »
Dude, that beast was on ebay.
86 4runner now with sas and other garbage

dane [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • HOOLIGAN ROCK CREW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2006, 09:46:32 AM »
The 4.3 is currently carb'd, but it will stay that way until fall when I drop in the sbc on 'pane.  I havent rolled it yet, but at 8'4" outside tire to outside tire it is fairly stable.  I need to cage it up before I get too crazy with it, all that axle weight will crush that cab.  I believe I also saw it on ebay, but I got it from a guy off the pirate board in esparto, ca.

For front springs it currently has 4" yj springs that I wrapped the hell out of, does anyone have any suggestions for a spring less prone to wrapping, it only needs to last the summer before it gets linked, but I am hard as hell on the skinny pedal so leaf springs hate me.  If anyone is local and wants to check it out or go wheeling with us and drive it they are welcome to.  If you are interested give me a call on my cell 707-280-6804.

Dane

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2006, 10:24:43 AM »
Wow thats awesome. I dont imagine its as easy to roll as people think it is, mainly from how flexible your suspension looks and how wide your stance is.  I have never really been into gigantic rigs but that thing is nice.  Good work man.

dane [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • HOOLIGAN ROCK CREW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2006, 10:45:52 AM »
I am trying to download some pics of the other big rig in our group.  Its a 2004 rubicon on unimogs and 44"boggers.  We call it the million dollar crawler for obvious reasons.

Dane

dane [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • HOOLIGAN ROCK CREW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2006, 10:57:08 AM »
Ok, I cant get them to download, but here is a link, we were out having fun at the local sportsmans expo.  Let me know what you guys think.  The pics are at the bottom of the page and are definitely worth checking out.  http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=2e7cc01c95052ab8722a124697f3c7cc&t=367899&page=5

MudSlinginYota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Oct '05
  • riggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2006, 11:18:09 AM »
Good job on the runner  :clap2: why would you go out and buy a rubicon when your gonna do all that to it, theres nothing rubicon about it now.i mean dont get me wrong its a sweet rig but i just think he should have gotten a base model why waste the money  :idiot:
1986 toyota 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61257.0
1997 dodge ram 4x4 (for sale)

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2006, 12:21:58 PM »
why would you go out and buy a rubicon when your gonna do all that to it, theres nothing rubicon about it now.i mean dont get me wrong its a sweet rig but i just think he should have gotten a base model why waste the money  :idiot:

Thats a common thought among people but theres an easy solution to why someone would do something like that.....more money than brains. In this guys defense though, if I was rich enough to do it my yota would have dynatrac pro rock axles and a full blinged out leather and wood grain interior like a luxury car. I mean if you have the money you might as well spend it. you only live once. I think its a sick jeep though its bad ass.

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2006, 12:32:08 PM »

Also, anybody who thinks that jeep was a waste of money or not practical just needs to look at this picture.  Insane!

sorry about the double post too.

dane [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • HOOLIGAN ROCK CREW
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2006, 01:11:45 PM »
Darin, the owner of the jeep, is a super smart kid.  He bought the rubicon because it was all he wanted at the time.  As his needs changed so did his rig.  On a side note its awesome to see the looks on the jeep guys faces when they find out that its really a rubicon, not just the badging.  It still has the transfer case.

Dane

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 09, 2006, 10:19:39 PM »
I also saw that runner on ebay awhile ago.  It looks pretty sick, i am glad it is getting wheeled.

marleyoffroad

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 10, 2006, 08:08:13 PM »
thats looks solid but a lil to tall for my liking :cool:
95 toy,marlin sas,5.29aussie locker(f)/5.29detriot(r),30 spline longs/4140 superior axle (r),custom 6" alcan spring(f),dual triangulated 4link(r),hysteer,68"diamond axles,bilstein 7100s at all 4 corners, duel ultimate,fror x-member,

dane [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • HOOLIGAN ROCK CREW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2006, 09:49:07 AM »
Its actually tall for my liking too.  When I do the links front and rear this fall I plan to lower it down some if I can.  With the width and the weight of the axles it is actually really stable.

Dane

Chad_Romine

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 163
  • Member since Mar '06
  • RubiCrawler
    • View Profile
    • Local wheelin
« Reply #15 on: Apr 12, 2006, 04:35:57 PM »
Haha i wondered what happend to this rig. You beat me to it by like a week.

That thing is sick. :bowdown:

dane [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • HOOLIGAN ROCK CREW
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 13, 2006, 10:46:40 AM »
It was kind of a screwey deal, and I ended up paying a little more than I wanted to, but still feel that I got a good deal.  I was building a buggy, but needed something to wheel in the mean time, thats where the 4runner got its nickname TWEENER.

Dane

dane [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • HOOLIGAN ROCK CREW
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2006, 01:17:58 PM »
Just an update, hit moonrocks last weekend and found out that the runner is not too tall to flop, so I'm going without a windshield for the summer.  Locked up the starter and broke a shock.  The flex of this truck really impressed me, it rides like a tank but can twist pretty well too.  Headed to moonrocks tonite, everyone have a fun and safe memorial day and dont forget the meaning of this holiday, thank a veteran if you get a chance.

Dane

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 06:13:40 AM »
Oh, HELL YA!
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 162
  • Male Posts: 493
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Living life in Gods county
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 08:59:26 AM »
Wow that is Huge.  Keeping all 4 on the ground looks fairly simple.  I like it.  you should take a pic of a stock 4Runner sitting right next to it and post it up.
1986 Toyota 4Runner 22re 5spd transmission and dual transfer cases (4.7’s in the rear). E-lockers front and rear.

2005 GMC Sierra diesel, compound turbo setup to pull.

God gave all people talents but the only one who can find them is you.

dane [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • HOOLIGAN ROCK CREW
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2006, 05:44:48 PM »
Moonrocks didnt go all that well for us.  the runner didnt make the trip due to my laziness on the locked up starter so I towed the rubicon up and it went over backwards hard.  Killed the windshield, windshield frame, hood, grill, radiatior, fan, and power steering pump pulley.  Had a killer time and plan on going to the rubicon in june.  also there is a comp at prairie city on the 18th that i wouldnt mind entering.

Dane

dane [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • HOOLIGAN ROCK CREW
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 01, 2006, 04:12:32 PM »
Toyo487, I will try and find a pic of it next to my roommates runner on 35's.  I think he is as tall as me when he is on the trailer!!!!  Hahahahaha.  Doesnt look like I will make the prairie city comp on fathers day, but should be able to get to the con sometime in june, if you see it on the trail yell at me if you want to drive/ride along.

Dane

toyspider81

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 161
  • Member since Jun '06
  • 81 Toyota "The Spider"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 12, 2006, 12:17:31 PM »
hey dane this is the first time i've seen your runner. The thing is freken bad ass . We got the fj down to the house in pismo beach and we already started griding on it. we plan on finishing the fj with in a year. plans are to small block chevy, 205 w/doubler/ 60's / 4 link front /rear. the fj will be an all around rig  beach/ROCK/mud. Thanks for the rig
RUN IT!!!

dane [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • HOOLIGAN ROCK CREW
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 14, 2006, 02:12:53 PM »
Sweet, I cant wait to see the FJ when its all done.  I loved that chassis, but my need for a 4 seater outweight my want for a small buggy with big ass tires!!  I will just lower this down and smash on it some more!!  Keep me updated danny and get me some pictures and whatnot.

Dane

toyspider81

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 161
  • Member since Jun '06
  • 81 Toyota "The Spider"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 24, 2006, 03:09:40 PM »
for sure ill keep you posted. were going through the chasie cleaning it up and still looking for a doner truck but ill get some pics after paint. how was the CON ?
RUN IT!!!

kiyul4130

• Brown Star Award
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 279
  • Male Posts: 3,265
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Turdburgalin since 1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 06, 2006, 02:11:07 PM »
Also, anybody who thinks that jeep was a waste of money or not practical just needs to look at this picture.  Insane!

sorry about the double post too.

wow...are there anymore pictures of this thing?
-kiyul-
92 1 ton ex cab, marlin dual ultimates, 42 iroks, hydro assist, flat bellied, linked and more...
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

dane [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • HOOLIGAN ROCK CREW
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 06, 2006, 03:49:42 PM »
There are more pics on pirate4x4.com under the mercedes forum.  Just a note I have started purchasing all of the necessary stuff to link the front.  18" air shocks, blue torch fab brackets, and 2" .50 wall dom for the links.  Should be all kinds of fun.  I scrapped the idea of running the v-8, but plan to have propane on the 4.3 and links front and rear before trying to enter Top Truck Challenge for 2007.  Might try and make moonrocks one more time this year if anyone is interested in a fall run to the desert.

Dane

79-83earlyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 181
  • Member since May '05
  • Earlyota
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 14, 2006, 10:14:16 PM »
 :thumbs:  I love it man.....usually I am not that into really big rig's with 44's.......but for some reason I like this build.  The wide axles look cool from the front, or when you are looking toward the front grill of the truck.  Usually rigs like this will have super stiff leaf springs that are only for show, but DAMN that thing can FLEX!!!!  LOVE the original '85 desert tan factory color too!!!!!!!!!!  :biggthumpup: