Author Topic: Electrical issue, need help  (Read 1516 times)

jafish

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Electrical issue, need help
« on: Sep 19, 2006, 06:19:25 AM »
First off, it's an 85 with a 22R.

When my buddy picked up my Toyota, it didn't run, the previous owner said it needed a new coil. After replacing the coil, it still wouldn't run, so he took it to a friend's shop/junkyard and they worked on it for a while. What they eventually found was that the gear on the crank or cam (can't remember which one) that works the distributor was broken, and the distributor wasn't turning. So, they tore apart the front of the motor, and fixed it, however, it still wouldn’t run. My buddy stopped at a Toyota dealer and was told to check the ignitor, which costs a whopping $390. So, with that in mind, they went to work again and found that the ignitor was bad, so my buddy found a 2 in his friend's junkyard and bought them for $20 a piece. Once they replaced the ignitor, it ran great. My buddy drove around the junkyard, climbed on top of a car, screwed around for a while and then drove it home, 45 minutes. It ran great. The next day, he went to move it in the drive, and it wouldn't start. So, he replaced the ignitor with the last one we had, and it started right up, unfortunately, it only ran for about 2 minutes, and died again (appearantly the ignitor blew again). Out of frustration, we decided to go with a GM conversion that I found on Pirate ( http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179253 ), but I'm afraid that it doesn't work (even in the thread, several people said the conversion doesn’t work). We followed the instructions to the "t", but it doesn't work, period. Now, speaking to other Toyota wheelers, several say that they have 300,000 miles on the original ignitor, with no problems. So, it seems to me that there has to be a very logical explanation as to why mine keeps blowing the ignitor. So, what is the problem, a bad ground somewhere? Why would it run for an hour plus on the one, but only 2 minutes on the other? Somebody needs to tell me what the hell is up, I'm so freakin' frustrated!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!
Josh

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Re: Electrical issue, need help
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2006, 08:12:04 AM »
There has to be a simple answer, however without being ther and looking at it, it is hard to tell what could be the problem. Post a link to the thread where you got the info on the conversion so we can look it over.

Heat has an effect on electronics and if you went through two used ones it could be they were just bad to start with, but before you spend $$$ for a new one you need to know if there is something wrong to cause this to happen.

Do you have a wiring diagram you could use to check all the wiring to make sure it isn't miss wired?

:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2006, 08:54:36 AM »
Or maybee some sort of short.   
I like to Drive!

jafish [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2006, 10:24:10 AM »
The link to the GM conversion is in my first post. As for a diagram, no I don't have one. My biggest problem is probably that I know very little about wiring.
Josh

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 890
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2006, 12:48:26 PM »
There are 3 wires that run over your exhaust manifold and valve cover they are in a plastic sheath or should be they connect to your igniter. They can burn or crack and tuck each other. unwrap them and check them. I needed to replace mine because they cracked so i made it longer to follow the vacuum line to my brake booster and then plug in, keeping it away from the hot stuff  :twocents: good Luke
1985 4RUNNER (rip) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54940.0

1997 T100, 4.88, DUAL T-CASE, R151, lockright in the rear, Alcan springs, 37"S, Bobbed 15", 3.4L TRD Supercharger, JBL headers 
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35174.0

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimmy Hendrix

-JOSH-

jafish [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2006, 12:49:49 PM »
Thanks for the help, I'll check that out asap.
Josh