Author Topic: shifter boot ideas?  (Read 1915 times)

BoMXtreme

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -24
  • Male Posts: 124
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Clean and stock cut short
    • View Profile
shifter boot ideas?
« on: Sep 14, 2006, 02:16:45 PM »
I put a 2in body lift on my toy, which made the original shifter boot useless because of the raised body.  The throw of the trans and tcase shifter is too much foir the original boot, and therefore i need to find a new shifter boot that has enough flex to move with the shifters.  Was just wondering if anyone knows of any makes/models of cars/trucks that have a shifter boot that flexes and is roughly the same size as the original pickup boot so it can be easily mounted and made as much air/water tight as possible.  Thanks all.
Looking for 35s in SLO later summer time, like august.  Swapping Tires??

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: shifter boot ideas?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2006, 02:25:03 PM »
i got a shifter boot at pepboys, it was a hurst one, it was quite large and worked, sure it wasnt completly watertight, but for daily driving, i never had a problem with it, the only time water ever came in was when i was frame deep in water... and it jsut came in around the base, im sure i could have sealed it off better and it wouldnt have leaked
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BoMXtreme [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2006, 07:20:33 PM »
cool, thanks ill try it out

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2006, 11:41:27 PM »
I'd mess with yours a little more.  I'm still using my stock shift boots, and I've got a 3" body lift, so it can be done.  Not sure what the problem is?  when I first put in my duals, the tension of the shift boot would pull the crawl box into nuetral, but I cut the base of the shift boot, so instead of being one peice, each boot was its own individual peice.  not sure if that is how it came on your truck or not. 

Pics?  why exactly wont' they work?  the boots on the third gen mount to the body, so they just get moved up a little when the lift is added.  I thought it was the same for all toys?
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

yotabj

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • MAD FLEX YO!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2006, 06:47:47 AM »
Why not just extend you Shifters and use your stock boots
'84  Truggy EFI swap ,5.29's Detroit,welded,Dual Ultimate Cases,22re,3 in. downey,4 in.Marlin Front springs on back  114 wb ,39.5 Rockers,30 Spline Longs

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2006, 04:51:17 PM »
on my tacoma that had a bodylift i used a hairdryer to heat and stretch the boot.  took a while but eventually it worked.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

BoMXtreme [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2006, 09:32:32 PM »
When i first did the lift, i probably shoul;d have just cut the boot in half, but i instead cut inside the actual boot where it contacts the shifter to free up for movement.  It worked ok, but still didnt allow for enough movement (pulled the tcase into neutral and wouldnt allow for 5th and rev).  And it also let in a lot of hot air from the engine.  I may go to the junkyard and find a boot that will fit and be flexy.  I just took a quick look at a junkyard after work, and there were some 2wd yota pickups, 90-95 that had some good shifter boots.  Might try one of them.  But any other advice would be great.  The hairdryer idea was a great one, and ill use that if i need to mess with the fit a little.

BoMXtreme [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2006, 09:35:21 PM »
i got a shifter boot at pepboys, it was a hurst one, it was quite large and worked, sure it wasnt completly watertight, but for daily driving, i never had a problem with it, the only time water ever came in was when i was frame deep in water... and it jsut came in around the base, im sure i could have sealed it off better and it wouldnt have leaked

Dont have a pepboys local, but is it the same as kragen or autozone?  I looked at kragen today and they didnt have any.  Thanks.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2006, 12:59:10 AM »
Dont have a pepboys local, but is it the same as kragen or autozone?  I looked at kragen today and they didnt have any.  Thanks.

I wouldn't bother with an auto parts store boot, the ones at our local stores are about $20 a pop :yikes: I'd check on those third gen boots :yupyup: they should work out well. Pull of the mounting plates for them too, make it a clean mount when you put them in :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent