Author Topic: Dynomax - Super Turbo Muffler  (Read 4235 times)

milla85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 180
  • Member since Jun '06
  • 85 in da house!
    • View Profile
Dynomax - Super Turbo Muffler
« on: Jun 28, 2006, 04:15:32 PM »
1985 truck 22r lc smog header. Doing header back exhaust system including some ones high flow cat. I am seeing really good thing about the "Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler". Does anyone have this muffler and if so what do you think of it. Any difference in power? How loud is it? And last but not least, has anybody had success with anyother brand mufflers other than a 40 series!  :-\ Thanks, Nick :turtle3:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: Dynomax - Super Turbo Muffler
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2006, 04:51:17 PM »
1985 truck 22r lc smog header. Doing header back exhaust system including some ones high flow cat. I am seeing really good thing about the "Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler". Does anyone have this muffler and if so what do you think of it. Any difference in power? How loud is it? And last but not least, has anybody had success with anyother brand mufflers other than a 40 series!  :-\ Thanks, Nick :turtle3:

I don't have experience with that particular muffler, but I really liked my SS Ultra Flow. I say liked because I forgot to take it off my wrecked truck before I sent it to the crusher. I just don't see how you can do much better than straight through...no chambers, no nothin!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

milla85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '06
  • 85 in da house!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2006, 05:35:26 PM »
I just don't see how you can do much better than straight through...no chambers, no nothin!

As in straight pipe no muffler? I have always herd stuff about back pressure and how it effects hp? Could someone please explain the whole back pressure idea and whats the truth behind all of it? Nick :turtle3:

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2006, 06:37:58 PM »
heres what nobody gets.. At the first bend and since you have a cat the back pressure is right there.after that  nothing matters.  .  a straight threw muffler is gonna let the exhaust flow out better after that.  a muffler  with chambers is gonna stop it up more  and decrease performance..  i love glasspacks for this reason. 

i run 2.5" tube and friends of mine run the same aswell as 3"..  this works AWESOME with a header
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2006, 07:02:59 PM »
As in straight pipe no muffler? I have always herd stuff about back pressure and how it effects hp? Could someone please explain the whole back pressure idea and whats the truth behind all of it? Nick :turtle3:

LOL, No it's just a muffler with no chambers, no offset. Go to the site and check out the pics. http://www.dynomax.com/

Mark
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2006, 08:02:06 PM »
heres what nobody gets.. At the first bend and since you have a cat the back pressure is right there.after that  nothing matters.  .  a straight threw muffler is gonna let the exhaust flow out better after that.  a muffler  with chambers is gonna stop it up more  and decrease performance..  i love glasspacks for this reason. 

i run 2.5" tube and friends of mine run the same aswell as 3"..  this works AWESOME with a header

A fluid dynamics proffessor just chocked and died...

I love this age-old quandry about backpressure...
Truth is, backpressure is no good for an engine, restricts the flow rate of the exhaust and creates an inefficient burn.  It is the by-product of backpressure that the engine needs to function properly.  This is, of course, heat.  Backpressure results in hotter headers/exhaust manifold.  The spent exhaust gases leave the combusion chamber under pressure, thus at high speed.  They immediatly open up into the head ports and the headers.  The mass flow rate hasn't changed, but the greater area of the piping has reduced the velocity of the gas.  In order to keep that gas from slowing too much and backing up the entire system, the header tubes must not be too oversized and the header itself must retain heat.  Heat = faster exhaust velocity.  Best way to build heat in the header...backpressure.  It is a carefull balancing act, you want a good flowing exhaust, but if it flows too quickly it will cool the gas too much resulting in, well more backpressure...hehehehe kinda like a catch 22, huh?  This is why ceramic coatings and header tapes can be effective...not to keep your engine bay cooler, but to keep your exhaust gasses hotter.  K, I'm spent.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2006, 08:05:44 PM »
Something about that explanation just didn't really come out right...but you get the picture right?
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2006, 08:38:13 PM »
uh  :eek:  all i can tell you is my truck with a 2 inch pipe and regular muffler  isnt near the power and wont  climb rpm near as fast as a 2 1/4 inch pipe into a straight thru glasspack
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

4xtoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 28, 2006, 08:47:00 PM »
I run a Dynomax HD Super turbo muffler and I love it. Also there warranty is great. My first one developed a internal rattle and I called them and explained it to them and I had a brand new one at my door with in 5 days.
It has no glass inside and is made up of three tubes that are perferated and snake through like an 'S'. At idle and just above, it rumbles nicely, at highway crusing speed it is quieter than my BFG MT's and when I get on it it has a mild raspy sound but not like these tuner cars you hear running around.

Oh and some back pressure is neccassary. What do you get when you have a header, no cat, and a flowmaster or the like, or better yet no muffler dumping with in a few feet of the engine.  NO back pressure and Back Firing. Not good for the engine. As long as you are running a Cat. and 2- 2 1/4" pipe you should have enough back pressure, even with the most open muffler on the market.

4xtoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 28, 2006, 08:50:30 PM »
Something about that explanation just didn't really come out right...but you get the picture right?

Yeah, You started off saying backpressure is bad then toward the end you say you have to have some backpressure to keep the gasses hot???

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 28, 2006, 09:12:27 PM »

You work in aviation, don't you.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Soon to be shorter and slower :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 29, 2006, 01:54:24 AM »
Yeah, You started off saying backpressure is bad then toward the end you say you have to have some backpressure to keep the gasses hot???

if you think hes not making sense and being contradictory by saying backpressure is bad but you need it, think of it this way. if you could somehow keep the heat caused by backpressure and thus keep exhaust gas velocity up, YET HAVE NO BACKPRESSURE, that would be ideal. BUT THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE. Like he said its a balancing act, you NEED backpressure, but the less you can get away with the better.

so in summation, BACKPRESSURE=NOT GOOD,   BACKPRESSURE=NECESSARY
'82 on 35's, not much else.

4xtoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 29, 2006, 04:51:17 AM »
BACKPRESSURE=NOT GOOD,   BACKPRESSURE=NECESSARY

Now that makes sense

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #13 on: Jun 29, 2006, 08:38:47 AM »
You work in aviation, don't you.

Yes, why??

milla85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '06
  • 85 in da house!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 29, 2006, 09:17:47 AM »
High flow cat? Going to flow to good and not have enough back pressure? Or will the over all sound of the system just be louder? :turtle3:

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #15 on: Jun 29, 2006, 02:10:35 PM »
if you run a cat and a muffler with a decent 2.25 inch pipe you will have a pretty good mix of flow and backpressure.  If you change the cat out go ahead and get a catco or something like that...honeycomb interior, not rods like the old stock one. 

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 03, 2006, 06:57:49 AM »
Yes, why??

You sound like a friend of mine I used to work with here in Tucson. He would get all excited if he got to talk about moments of inertia or something like that! Besides you're in Wichita.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

seanc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -357
  • Male Posts: 347
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Wheeler For Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 25, 2006, 08:57:49 AM »
oh to finally clear this up you do not want any backpressure at all period. what you do need is exhaust gas velocity to keep the gasses moving quickly and to keep the exhaust pulses pulling the exhaust out of the cylinders. after the headers collector the only thing the system does is move the gasses to the rear.
You win some, you lose some.

TRDISMO

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Mar '05
  • 4runner Rock Crawling
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 28, 2006, 01:36:24 AM »
ok guys let me explain what back pressure really means...even a well-designed muffler will produce some back presssure in the system. back pressure reduces an engine's volumetric effiency, or ability to breathe. escessive back pressure caused by defects in a muffler or other exhaust system part can slow or stop the engine. however, a small amount of back pressure can be used intentionally to alow a slower passage of exhaust gases through the cat converter. this slower passage results in more complete conversion to less harmful gases. also, no back pressure may allow gases to enter the exhaust.

4xtoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 28, 2006, 04:50:42 AM »
oh to finally clear this up you do not want any backpressure at all period. what you do need is exhaust gas velocity to keep the gasses moving quickly and to keep the exhaust pulses pulling the exhaust out of the cylinders. after the headers collector the only thing the system does is move the gasses to the rear.

ok guys let me explain what back pressure really means...even a well-designed muffler will produce some back presssure in the system. back pressure reduces an engine's volumetric effiency, or ability to breathe. escessive back pressure caused by defects in a muffler or other exhaust system part can slow or stop the engine. however, a small amount of back pressure can be used intentionally to alow a slower passage of exhaust gases through the cat converter. this slower passage results in more complete conversion to less harmful gases. also, no back pressure may allow gases to enter the exhaust.
Posted

nutin like shootin a dead horse :greengrin:

milla85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '06
  • 85 in da house!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 29, 2006, 10:21:43 AM »
BANG!  :D