Author Topic: Interesting article regarding 5.71 gearset strength  (Read 7117 times)

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
Interesting article regarding 5.71 gearset strength
« on: Nov 16, 2005, 04:28:58 AM »
Hope this isnt a repost.  We all hear how the 5.71 gearsets are weak in comparison to 4.10 4.56 and even 4.88 gears... But this guy makes a good argument

Any one out there with real world experience on the trail with lockers, dual cases etc?????  AND running 5.71's???

I would immagine Cryo'd 5.71's might not be a bad alternative if your lacking gear on some hills/towing etc....

http://www.gearinstalls.com/410suck.htm

Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
Hmmm thats a pretty interesting article. It all seems to make sense.
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Good points, When can I get mine?
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
wow   i  feel smarter     and that dose not happen often.
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Very good point's,  Makes me want 5.71's more and more. :yupyup:

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
Well Im gonne be installing some of these 5.71 gears for an experiment.   :screwy:  I know it soudns like a stupid, expensive experiment to some, but I really wanna find out the deal here.

Im gonna have em treated by Bobby Long so that should help with shock loads atleast, which is apparently why gears fail in the first place.

A few searches on Pirate and the few that have ran them didnt have issues at all. And the one guy that did was running Genuine Gear - refered to as "pot metal" by some.

I will let ya guys know!  But it will be a few weeks atleast   cha ching!

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Although I do hear of more 5.71's breaking then other ratios.  (not counting the 4.37's)

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
Hey I seen in a Mustang and Fast Fords <--- :rofl: fast fords hahaa...but anyway...I seen in the mag where they "polish" ring and pinion sets in a tumbler with a mixture and it makes them up to 40% stronger because it takes stress risers off and what not. Dunno how true it is and what it would do for us 4wheelers but its something to look into. Do that AND have them cryo'ed and I bet they could handle pretty much anything. I'll check the mag and see if they mentioned a business name. :thumbs:

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
the only 5.71s ive ever seen break where on a buds toyota running extremely grooved 42" tsls..  i mean these things look like all terrians they were so cut up.   and you couldnt get them to slip on ice..  they would eat the ice away
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
Good article~! :hammerhead:
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
Hey I seen in a Mustang and Fast Fords <--- :rofl: fast fords hahaa...but anyway...I seen in the mag where they "polish" ring and pinion sets in a tumbler with a mixture and it makes them up to 40% stronger because it takes stress risers off and what not. Dunno how true it is and what it would do for us 4wheelers but its something to look into. Do that AND have them cryo'ed and I bet they could handle pretty much anything. I'll check the mag and see if they mentioned a business name. :thumbs:

Sounds good, because I cant find anything like that on google. And if its not on google, then it doesent exist right?

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My thinking is the tooth count is not that relevant.  The pinion diameter plays a bigger role I feel.
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
Hope this isnt a repost. We all hear how the 5.71 gearsets are weak in comparison to 4.10 4.56 and even 4.88 gears... But this guy makes a good argument

Any one out there with real world experience on the trail with lockers, dual cases etc????? AND running 5.71's???

I would immagine Cryo'd 5.71's might not be a bad alternative if your lacking gear on some hills/towing etc....

http://www.gearinstalls.com/410suck.htm

Great article. :yesnod:  I have a set of Cryo'd 5.29s from Bobby Long that should be going in soon behind dual  :turtle:  t-cases. In reviewing the conclusion, if your aftermarket gears are set up properly and maintained (change that gear oil after break-in) they should outlast stockers. :driving:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Wow. I do not buy that article at all, not even for one second. Sure, with a 4.10 gear set you might see the ring gear failing more often, but that's because the pinion is ginormous! All of the 5.71 gear sets I've seen blew the crap out of the pinion gear. I mean, especially in the case of the 5.71, the ring gear seams stronger than the 4.10, so of course the pinion is the weak link.

Mix some axle wrap with the weakest pinion available for the Toyota 8" diff, and you get a broken pinion. End of discussion.

Also, after taking a Materials class, I have learned that Cryogenically Freezing Metal in order to make it stronger, is worthless when the metal is exposed to very large loads. If the material's designed yield stress is much greater than what it is exposed to, then Freezing the object in order to reduce the number of surface dislocations and to decrease grain size (thus reducing crack propaganda) will usually make the material tougher, not necessarily stronger, but tougher so that it will last longer without wearing or deforming. But if the material is already operating at loads that are close to or exceeding its designed yield stress, then freezing it will have no effect on preventing permanent plastic deformation (the object breaking).

At least that is what I learned. So Freezing a gear set makes more sense with the 4.10 gear set rather than the 5.71 gear set, because the 4.10 gear set can handle greater loads without breaking (deforming). Just like it would make more sense to freeze a FJ80 birfield then a mini truck birfield..

BigMike
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2005, 10:40:55 AM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
the elocker i got had a 3:73 R&P   and the ring and pinion both came apart

thats why i got it so cheap :eyebrow:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
4.10s break... The E-Locker I got from FIREBALL had a wasted 4.10 gear set, that's why I also got it so cheap :eyebrow:

I have heard that they changed the Formula Toy rules because of this. They used to only allow stock 4.10 gearing to be used, because it can save money -- since this is supposed to be a budget and family-friendly series -- but so many people have been blowing 4.10s that I believe they removed that rule

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
4.10s break... The E-Locker I got from FIREBALL had a wasted 4.10 gear set, that's why I also got it so cheap :eyebrow:

I have heard that they changed the Formula Toy rules because of this. They used to only allow stock 4.10 gearing to be used, because it can save money -- since this is supposed to be a budget and family-friendly series -- but so many people have been blowing 4.10s that I believe they removed that rule
my elocker now sports 4:37's  :eyebrow:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
A buddy of mine just blew up his 5.29's that he has had about 1-1/2yrs going on 10k miles

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
Ok I checked my magazine and the company that does the polishing to parts to make them "stronger" is Mikronite Technologies www.mikronite.com I did a lil more reading into the article and it says that "The process is said to increase residual strength of the pinion by 44.6 percent..." Now I 'm not all that good with vocabulary but maybe BigMike or someone could explain exactly what residual strenght is.

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
ive personally installed about 10 529 gearsets, and have owned about as many, and have NEVER even hurd a burp or had a shaveing out of one, and i get stupid with LOTS of horepower...i have however seen, with mine own eyes, seen a chryo set of 571s, in a 1700 rig with 40 horespower, ya 40, blown to hell and back, so bad that the pinion came out of the back of the housing and waved to everyone!!
5.29s=strong
chryo 529s=stronger
571=worthless

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Well, polishing parts is done to remove machine flaws on the surface, which could be sharp transitions and edges. If that site is talking about residual strength, all I remember is talking about residual compressive stresses which are a good thing to have, and are created from shot peening. The idea is to create residual compressive stresses on the surface and have tensile stresses on the interior of the metal. That way, in order for it to break, a crack must first overcome the residual compressive stress on the surface, which makes it less susceptible to plastic deformation.

I think it's the same effect of taking a piece of metal and putting it under pressure, like in a high pressure barometric chamber or submerging it in a liquid under pressure. Its easier to think about it this way. It would be harder for something to break under pressure because it would have to over come the yield stress of the material and the subjected pressures, assuming the material is solid anyways...

I only took one semester of this though, I still have a lot to learn. I am sure there is someone out there reading this who can send me back to school. Hopefully I'm not too far off. :crossed:

It makes since that if you increase the residual stress then it would be harder to break, but again, I bet this can only improve its total yield stress by just a small amount, and I think these processes are used just to prolong the fatigue life, not really to increase its overall strength. I'm sure it does, but I bet only by like 5% or something..

Man it would be cool to study in detail about materials and learn how to make them stronger and last longer! :thumbs: A Steel Scientist

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
Ok ok maybe you guys have talked me out of it   :clap2:   But I still need to regear to 5.29's. Right now Im running 4.88 and I supose 5.29's are a 10% reduction if im not not mistaken?

Thanks for all that info, and the long replys BigMike. I really wish The off road world had its own Mythbusters crew to check these theories out.

Has Bobby Long made a machine yet to test R&P??  Of course its not gonna be even close to the real world life of a R&P, but I heard on the PBB hes working on such a device.

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile

I really wish The off road world had its own Mythbusters crew to check these theories out.

i have, stay away from 5.71s...unless of course you enjoy buying things, paying someone to install them, breaking them, then starting over again right where you should have in the first place.

The_Blue_Coyote

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -38
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
    • Blue Coyote Racing
A properly set up  rear end w 5.71 is plenty strong. I read the artilcle, spoke with Zuk and swapped in a set of 5.71's and am very happy.
And no, this is not on some mall crawler. These are on a 84 Toyota class 7s dezert race truck. I am very hard on this truck yet have no concerns about running over 2' whoops, in 2nd or 3rd gear, with the built 22re (140hp) at 5200 rpm and turning 33" BFG Baja's (extremely heavy tire) on a V6 spool. They have run an entire race season with no issues. And I have friends that get 1 - 2 races out of a set of Ford 9" gears with a simular truck.
However, like the article says you must run a quality gear (ours are Precisoin V6 gears - not GG or a shimmed 4cyl gear). a solid pinion spacer and properly set up the rear diff. This includes torking the snot out of the carrier bearings.
The next time I do the rear end I will have the gears cryo's - to prevent the minute scuffing that does occur due to the hard racing use.
GOT LEAFS ?
www.bluecoyoteracing.com
84 Totota 4x4 class 7S  #797

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Sounds good :thumbs:

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
It looks like Precision does not make 5.71 reverse cut gears for the High pinion    :(    Thanks for the real world reply Coyote

ZUK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 168
  • Member since Nov '02
    • View Profile
    • ZUK's Gear installs
A properly set up  rear end w 5.71 is plenty strong. I read the artilcle, spoke with Zuk and swapped in a set of 5.71's and am very happy.
And no, this is not on some mall crawler. These are on a 84 Toyota class 7s dezert race truck. I am very hard on this truck yet have no concerns about running over 2' whoops, in 2nd or 3rd gear, with the built 22re (140hp) at 5200 rpm and turning 33" BFG Baja's (extremely heavy tire) on a V6 spool. They have run an entire race season with no issues. And I have friends that get 1 - 2 races out of a set of Ford 9" gears with a simular truck.
However, like the article says you must run a quality gear (ours are Precisoin V6 gears - not GG or a shimmed 4cyl gear). a solid pinion spacer and properly set up the rear diff. This includes torking the snot out of the carrier bearings.
The next time I do the rear end I will have the gears cryo's - to prevent the minute scuffing that does occur due to the hard racing use.

Bluecoyote--- Replying to your 6 month old post :)......I wish I had offered to set up your first set of 571 rear gears......and congrats on getting Precision as that is probably the best qual gear for a Toyota application. :thumbs:  Next time, just send it my way and I will set it to racing standards. I will do a link on it also.

Also, there is a surface preparation process(slips my mind right now) that results in a chrome-like finish that means no break-in required.....run it right in the desert at 80 mph with no break-in. I know Randys offers  service for about 75.

Oh ...... the name of the process is called REM resulting in an isotropic finish.....
Here's a goodarticle....they specifically mention racing and off-road also  http://www.metalimprovement.com/case.php  Judging by the way they talk of this process, maybe cryo is not required if isotropics is applied......

Wow....here's a ring gear with an "isotropic finish"  http://www.musclemotorparts.com/REM.htm

http://www.procryo.com/RemGears.html
  ZUK
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2006, 09:06:53 PM by ZUK »
           www.gearinstalls.com
2001 White Xtracab Taco 3.4L Auto TRD
88 Runner/V6/auto/31"/5.29gear