Author Topic: I crashed my 85 runner on the drivers side and I need advice  (Read 2605 times)

skunkyoda

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 65
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
1st off let me say I have learned so much here, so much. Cause all I have learned I fixed my electric, alternator, added rear leafs, added front and rear shocks, Marlin Crawler shackles, regreased my rear driveshaft slip yoke, fixed my steering, changed oil pan gasket leak and some other stuff. I was doing more until a few days ago I crashed my truck now I need help again.

I crashed my truck only on the drivers side and I basically pusshed everything back about 2-4 inches. Everything on the drivers side of my front top leaf spring mount caved in, my stock bumper, trim, shattered all lights front and side and pushed my fender out sideways about 3 inches and bent my hood up about 2-3 inches, only on drivers side.

Now to me that aint a big deal, but this is.

#1. When the truck was on the fan really rubs hard on the fan shroud.
#2. On the drivers side my radiator rests on the stock air intake, real tight.

this is my daily driver and wheeler. So I want to take care of it A.S.A.P.

I figure I could trim my fan shroud where it rubs hard unless that adds another negative symptom to the coooling.

#2 if I unbolt my fennder and my hood and the crossmember support up front on top and hammer away I might be able to correct the push back. I havent checked the bottom though, but I will. Right now!!!!!

thanks people!!
please help me. Everything will be DIY and I am 1 beer short of a six pack. :crazy:    :hammerhead:

Now is the perfect time to say how FLIPPIN COOL this SITE IS!!!!!!
thanks
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2006, 01:39:56 PM by skunkyoda »
1985 22RE EFI YOTA 4RUNNER, 31's, Open Diff's

Everybody knows there ain't no such thing as Leftover Crack

PLEASE GOD PROTECT ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!!!!!!!

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
1st off let me say I have learned so much here, so much. Cause all I have learned I fixed my electric, alternator, added rear leafs, added front and rear shocks, Marlin Crawler shackles, regreased my rear driveshaft slip yoke, fixed my steering, changed oil pan gasket leak and some other stuff. I was doing more until a few days ago I crashed my truck now I need help again.

I crashed my truck only on the drivers side and I basically pusshed everything back about 2-4 inches. Everything on the drivers side of my front top shock mount caved in, my stock bumper, trim, shattered all lights front and side and pushed my fender out sideways about 3 inches and bent my hood up about 2-3 inches, only on drivers side.

Now to me that aint a big deal, but this is.

#1. When the truck was on the fan really rubs hard on the fan shroud.
#2. On the drivers side my radiator rests on the stock air intake, real tight.

this is my daily driver and wheeler. So I want to take care of it A.S.A.P.

I figure I could trim my fan shroud where it rubs hard unless that adds another negative symptom to the coooling.

#2 if I unbolt my fennder and my hood and the crossmember support up front on top and hammer away I might be able to correct the push back. I havent checked the bottom though, but I will. Right now!!!!!

thanks people!!
please help me. Everything will be DIY and I am 1 beer short of a six pack. :crazy:    :hammerhead:

Now is the perfect time to say how FLIPPIN COOL this SITE IS!!!!!!
thanks
i did the same thing to my 85 man, sucks ass huh, what i did was get a heavy chain, tie it around the sheet metal in front and to a tree and back up slowly until it would drive safely, you prolly need to ghive it a few good tugd to get the rad. away from the intake and the shroud away from the fan, do a little at a time, so you dont break more stuff...then...use it as a trail rig...your gonna dent that corner anyways igf you really wheel it!! i have already on the new runner...so, i would get it drivable, and DRIVE IT!!!

skunkyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
That tree thing is great advice. Did you do it during wheeling after you damaged it?

skunkyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
right now I am taking it apart right now. the cowl, the bumper, then all the lights, then the hood. but I will keep checking back for knowledge

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
if you smashed htings back that far, youre frame is probably bent, other than the cosmetic stuff, your looking at front bent suspension parts as well.... that will either need to get checked out or replaced.... frames can be straightened by shops with the proper equipment
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
:worthless: lets see what ya got
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

skunkyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I thought the same thing that you thought, BUT It all looks gravy. It seems that all my cosmetics took the brunt of it and they releived the stress on impact. Where the front leaf springs bolt into the front spring hanger in front looks good except for 1 nice crack on the driver side where my bumper bolted into it. So right now I say no damage!!!!

skunkyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
:worthless: lets see what ya got
I can have pics tomorrow for sure, but today probably not!!

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
sure it will all "look" fine but get under there with a tape measure and you will see its not
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

skunkyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Look It's cool!!!!!! If I f-ed the frame I will take care of it. The frame looks cool so I am coool with that. I removed the bottom cowl (wich can be fixed and bolted back on) and the bumper when its fixed can be bolted on again and the light mounts are cool.

just so you guys know I only hit the corner not the frame. the frame does not surround my blinker light and fender, RIGHT!!! FRAME IS COOL!, and it is outta the question. I already have enough stress, PLEASE!!!!

I checked it and I think the tree method will work just GREAT(just need rope). Seriously it looks artificial except for #1 worry and #2 worry!!!!
thank you

Oh and it is break time.
Keep the info coming, PLEASE!!!    :crazy:

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
That tree thing is great advice. Did you do it during wheeling after you damaged it?
yes, ropes and chains go along way towards fixing bad things on the con :yesnod:

skunkyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
yes, ropes and chains go along way towards fixing bad things on the con :yesnod:
I looked and I think that will solve my problem prolly tomorrow, but for right now I am done and I am drunk so I start again tomorrow. thanks man

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
I looked and I think that will solve my problem prolly tomorrow, but for right now I am done and I am drunk so I start again tomorrow. thanks man
glad i could help man :beerchug:

genericposter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Male Posts: 64
  • Member since Mar '05
  • r0ar
    • View Profile
I would also make sure to check for cracks in the frame or any mounts. A good solid hit could have jarred something loose.
84 4Runner - 4.88s, Rear Locker, 33"s
Senior Airman USAF
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

hillsboro

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
I did the same thing on the passenger side of my 3rd gen truck. I used a porta power with a large 4x4 post based against the firewall and pushed the front end out while hammering in spots to relieve stress on the crunched engine compartment wall. Just get it close enough then redrill your fender mounting holes and get it to line up. Not really hard at all, it took up 1 weekend.