Author Topic: whoes running 4.7's NOT in a dual setup!!??  (Read 2072 times)

Makohon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
whoes running 4.7's NOT in a dual setup!!??
« on: May 29, 2006, 04:25:42 PM »
been bouncing back and forth about dualy or just 4.7's.... pro about duals is you have the opting of running just 2.28's..... pro about the 4.7's is less parts to break.. unless you had the money for 23 splines. but still there are more things to go wrong..... so basically for you who are running a single case with 4.7's, do you find it to be to low of a gear when not doin real crazy stuff but stuff you need to be in low for? also what would be safe while in low... like would it be safe to be in third and wheel with it in low... should i not go past 2nd gear or only stay in first so i dont brake the stuff in my tranny? let me here your opinions people!! :beer: :beerchug: this may help a bit also... i will be runnin 35's, 5.29 fully locked.... i will wheel mostly at cow mtn or pilsberry ''northern cali'' and the ocassional trip to the con, fordyce, hammers
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: whoes running 4.7's NOT in a dual setup!!??
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 06:01:16 PM »
I ran single 4.7's for about a year. I now run duals so I have the ability of a 2 low with just the 2.28 in low. Never really had a problem with only 4.7's. But having just stock duals does give alot of gear options. As far as too low, there are still 5 tranny gears to chose from.
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 07:57:13 PM »
i'm the only person in sonoma with duals everybody else has just  a single 4.7 case and they do fine but i've heard them whine about no regular 4 low and it seems like they break alot more driveshaft bolts in the front and its harder to get a driveshaft with enough slip some times in the front if you have the shorter trannys that the 1st gens had.

Makohon [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 08:13:54 PM »
i figured the front d shaft would be fine... im usin a w56 and i also did rears up front witch moves it 1.5 or 2 inches farther foward... as far as breaking more front d shaft bolts.... are there any other things that they could be doin... like slammin the d shaft ect cus 4.7's are just a lil bit higher than duals with 2.28 in each.... also im just making a square tube d shaft so slip wont be a prob... i assume u wheel with the guys with the single 4.7's... do u see any real probs with them keepin up with you on the trails or is it about the same? thanx man! :beerchug:

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 08:30:53 PM »
they keep up fine if not going faster because they cant help it.  the breaking driveshaft bolt thing is because the driveshaft angle is alot steeper and it binds out at full droop and breaks the bolts and they all had square shafts that pulled apart and rears up front

yoda4x

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 84
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 08:33:32 PM »
ive run both duals and just 4.7's, i'd say if you have the option to start with, go with stock duals.  it will cost about the same as it would to get 4.7s in your case, but it is really nice to have more options to choose from when picking a gear.  not sure if you are aware, but with your set up, duals would put your crawl ratio at 108:1, and 4.7's would put you at 98:1.  just my 2 cents but i think you would be happier with duals.

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 08:38:57 PM »
If money is tight, just do the 4.7's now and worry about duals later. With the 4.7's you can use your stock driveline and not have to move your crossmember or cut up your floor.

You will have better options with the duals, but this is easy enough to do after the 4.7's by adding the adaptor and extra gear box with your stock 2.28's.

When I had 4.7's only I ran it up in 5th gear without any problems. There were times when I wanted to use the stock 2.28, that is why I went duals.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

tt21

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -29
  • Male Posts: 63
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 08:32:13 AM »
so all who are or have run 4.7 gears with single case, did you have the 21 spline or the 23 spline kit?

thanks

synwars

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 360
  • Male Posts: 485
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Fabbing with Maffy
    • View Profile
    • Can you feel the love?
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 09:24:19 AM »
For spline count, you gotta run what your tranny will mate up with. Only when you go duals do you have an option when you order parts.

I have duals with 4.7 - 23 spline rear and most of the time I just use the 4.7:1. Only when I get stuck trying to turn tightly do I just use 2.28 front, or when I get into hairy stuff I use double low or 10.716:1. :joke:

BTW, with that much reduction in the t-cases, you're not gonna wreck your tranny unless you don't know how to drive stick. ::) When you put it into 4-low, it actually takes stress off your transmission. :thumbs:
"Don't let common sense stop you..."

Build up thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11425.0

KEEP IT CLEAN PEOPLE!!! :bat:

YotaJohnBoy4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 418
  • Male Posts: 123
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 09:46:44 AM »
so im kind of in the same boat... was thinking about going duals with 4.7s in both cases and moneys not a problem but then i thought about 4.97s and 2.28 for my duals cuz i wanna be very low ... any help is appreciated
"lil truck rolling on 37s"

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 09:59:22 AM »
PM blackdiamond.  both of us had run most of the trails at Moab and I've got duals with stock gears.  he and i did both just fine.  He likes haveing just one case right now and never has any problmes with it.  I'd ask him what he thinks about the setup.

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 04:21:03 PM »
so im kind of in the same boat... was thinking about going duals with 4.7s in both cases and moneys not a problem but then i thought about 4.97s and 2.28 for my duals cuz i wanna be very low ... any help is appreciated

With 4.7's and 2.28 you'll be plenty low!!!Try that first then if it's not go with dual 4.7's. I'm runnin a well worn 22re and can idle up most anything. :beerchug:
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

Loosekannon

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 1,301
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SoCal--ROCKBRAWLERS--
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 10:45:47 PM »
I run a single case with 4.7's. Not to bad, but even in 5th in low range I wish I had duals so I can have the stock low range. But it is not often that I need stock low, I also am running 5.29 axle gears. Hope to be adding a Dana300 behind my case with the 32 spline output on it. Then I will have a stock low again :gap:

YotaJohnBoy4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 418
  • Male Posts: 123
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 05:40:01 PM »
ive got good news.... i just ordered my 4.97 kit and adapter for my dual cases so hopefully ill have it done by next weekend to test it out
"lil truck rolling on 37s"

Makohon [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 05:41:16 PM »
thanx for all the input people... i added up the prices and duals arent that much more to do... dont have all the money in the world but dont have a really tight budget! sooooo just to save the hassle later of getting the driveshafts relengthend 2 times ''im building up a 2wd thats why the 2 times'' ill just do duals... kinda saves money in the longrun instead of having them lengthend twice! :beerchug: