Author Topic: HOW BAD IS THE 3.0  (Read 2831 times)

MUDDONKEY

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 203
  • Male Posts: 106
  • Member since Sep '04
  • "My dad's got an awesome set of tools,I can fixit!
    • View Profile
HOW BAD IS THE 3.0
« on: May 15, 2006, 05:45:00 PM »
I HAVE A 22R IN MY 85,  I FOUND A 3.0 FOURUNNER W/ (sorry) the 3.0. w/ 150,000 miles. i love my 22r, can i expect long life and durability out of the 3.0? is it an easy swap over to a 22r(i have acces to one)???  any info please!!
72 fj 40, too bling bling to wheel
76 fj 40 rotting in my backyard(parts)
85 xtracab-bored 30 over, dual cases,arb's,5.29'S, 35 TSLS ,partial exo, onboard air, UNSTOPPABLE!
07 FJ, 4" WE/Donahoe, 33/12.50's on blk procomps

eightyfive

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 232
  • Male Posts: 552
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Re: HOW BAD IS THE 3.0
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 05:53:32 PM »
if it's cheap, buy it....it'll be easier for you to swap in a 3.4 which is a GREAT engine. swaping a 22r in place of a 3.0 is too much work with little to gain.
._________________________________________.
||____________||____________||___T0Y0TA__||
||____________||____________||____________||
1985 TOYOTA 4RUNNER

some modifications here and there....

MUDDONKEY [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 08:29:32 AM »
CAN I GET THE 3.4 OUT OF A TERCEL OR CAMRY OR DOES THE FRONT WHEEL DRIVE IN THEM MAKE IT A BEOTCH??
85 xtracab-bored 30 over, dual cases,arb's,5.29'S, 35 TSLS ,partial exo, onboard air, UNSTOPPABLE!

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 890
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 09:03:07 AM »
I would say take the money and swap an 3rz or 22re into your 85. The 3.slow is sssssllllllllooooooowwwwwwwwww you wont be happy with the 3.0 its gutless. I have a 22re in my runner and i pass people with 3.0's when i drive in the mountans  :driving:  :twocents:
1985 4RUNNER (rip) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54940.0

1997 T100, 4.88, DUAL T-CASE, R151, lockright in the rear, Alcan springs, 37"S, Bobbed 15", 3.4L TRD Supercharger, JBL headers 
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35174.0

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimmy Hendrix

-JOSH-

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 03:26:37 PM »
:dunno: its hit or miss.  I've gone through two 3.0s in the last year and a half, original went out with 185,000  second one I bought used with about the same, went out 10k later, motot I hav e now runs stronger than either of the previous ones, and has about 198,000 on it.  If you can get the motor, tranny, and harness for real cheap, I'd probably go for it, but if you're gonna spend a good amount of $$ on it, you may as well rebuild yours ,or step up to a 3rz :thumbs:  only reason I still have a 3.0 is because I can't afford the 3.4 swap right now.  Just to keep the truck running, you're usually better of putting in the same type of motor you had in there :thumbs:
I would say take the money and swap an 3rz or 22re into your 85. The 3.slow is sssssllllllllooooooowwwwwwwwww you wont be happy with the 3.0 its gutless. I have a 22re in my runner and i pass people with 3.0's when i drive in the mountans  :driving:  :twocents:

:dunno:  mine pulls great, better than 22res that I've gone up the hill with :dunno:
 :driving:

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

KWP

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 878
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Ghost Hunter
    • View Profile
    • East Central Oklahoma Paranormal Society
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 03:53:48 PM »
 The 3.0 I have in my 4runner has been a pretty good engine. Like stated obove if it's going to cost you alot for the 3.0 your better off saving for the 3.4 but if it's cheep go for it, it's really not that bad of an engine.
88 Toyota truck ( Under Construction ) Dana 60's front and rear 5.38's, welded diffs, 3inch Downey rears up front,one link rear with aerostar coils rolling on 39.5x16.50/17 Pittbull Rockers and 17x9 Pro Comp extreme alloys.http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=40816.0

Paulie

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 10:52:25 PM »
Are you good with wiring. if not pass it up and go SB
85 SR5, ARBs, Hi-steer, 35" Krawlers...has most of the right parts

furrballs95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 124
  • Male Posts: 302
  • Member since Oct '05
  • boot scoot put in 4low and boogie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 12:19:15 PM »
i dont know about all that unless you some serious work done to that 22re you aint going to blow past my 3.0 . when ever me and my buddys go on our trip the one kid that has a 22re in an 87p/u can never keep up with me or any other 3.0 just my opinion though
95 Toyota p/u 3.0 v6. Marlin SAS with 5"springs, 30 spline bobby longs, and a welded V6 third in a trussed 85 front axle. 529's front and rear, Marlin rear kit with 5" springs, lockrite rear locker,  36"  IROCKS on 15x10 black rock crawlers, custom front and rear bumpers,

MUDDONKEY [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 09:44:47 AM »
is the 95' 3.0 improved over the 88'??? furrball your page says "head gasket eater" yet you still like the 3.0?? how often does it eat? any other problems with the motor come up regularly?

get r done

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 394
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 10:56:46 AM »
i have a 93 toy pick up with the 3.0 and i dont really like it. sucks gas and doesnt prduce enough power for the gas its sucks. my 83 22r rock crawler gets better gas mileage. thats sad. :smack:

furrballs95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 124
  • Male Posts: 302
  • Member since Oct '05
  • boot scoot put in 4low and boogie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 11:23:57 AM »
the only reason my page says that is because the head gaskets went on my 91 and then my 95. soo i kinda pissed me off the motor isn't a bad motor if you take of it . but the head gaskets are the the only downfall of the motor.  but now since i got them fixed the motor runs really strong i pull 80 mph down the highway no problem and i don,t understand why everyone says the 22re is sooo much better of a motor my friend be going on his third rebuild in the last year for his 22re. the 3.0 may not be the best motor out there but i can definitly hold it own on the trail. i'm not really shure how much the motor has inproved over the 88 because all of my buddys have 90 and up toyotas.
is the 95' 3.0 improved over the 88'??? furrball your page says "head gasket eater" yet you still like the 3.0?? how often does it eat? any other problems with the motor come up regularly?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 11:28:42 AM by furrballs95 »
95 Toyota p/u 3.0 v6. Marlin SAS with 5"springs, 30 spline bobby longs, and a welded V6 third in a trussed 85 front axle. 529's front and rear, Marlin rear kit with 5" springs, lockrite rear locker,  36"  IROCKS on 15x10 black rock crawlers, custom front and rear bumpers,

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 12:25:16 PM »
Usually when the 3.0 has less power than the 22re it means something is wrong with the 3.0. Most of the time it is a head gasket with loss of power. My brother had a 3.0 that would stomp my 22ret, that is until at some point he had a loss in power. Could not figure it out but did notice coolant was disapearing from the reserve tank. Turns out the head gasket had a very small leak and notched the deck, Toyota gave him a whole new engine thank you very much.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

4rox

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 115
  • Male Posts: 122
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling in texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 01:34:23 PM »
I HAVE A 22R IN MY 85,  I FOUND A 3.0 FOURUNNER W/ (sorry) the 3.0. w/ 150,000 miles. i love my 22r, can i expect long life and durability out of the 3.0? is it an easy swap over to a 22r(i have acces to one)???  any info please!!
The 3.0 is alright for stock applications but for what we like to do ,it just can't take the abuse.I rebuilt mine in my 89 4runner.I'll never do that again!!!In my 94 ext cab,I went smallblock.For the price of a headgasket job you can get a brand new 350 imo.
I'd rather push a Toyota than drive a Jeep!!!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 01:41:53 PM »
The 3.0 is alright for stock applications but for what we like to do ,it just can't take the abuse.I rebuilt mine in my 89 4runner.I'll never do that again!!!In my 94 ext cab,I went smallblock.For the price of a headgasket job you can get a brand new 350 imo.

Engine swaps are a PITA in Cali, all kinds of hoops to jump through. In the end if you keep the vehicle it is worth the trouble but if you don't keep the truck, you just wasted all the time and effort to make it legal.  I've got  a 22r conversion and left the 20r head and carb on with all the smog for the 20r so it sneaks through  :shhh: the day a smart tech catches it though he'll  :nonono: :spankbutt: for it.

toyotajoe35

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -146
  • Male Posts: 279
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 01:44:03 PM »
3.0 are great engines if you fix the weak points. i am in the process of rebuilding my 3.0 and am going to use D.O.A's head studs and have them rebuild and balance my injectors and bore my throtle body and i should never have a problem with blowing a head  gasket again. im also thinking about doing downey headers and i should then be pushing about 200 hp when all is said and done with my motor. there is no way a stock 22re can keep up with a 3vze be cause the 22re has 105 hp and 137 lbft and the 3vze has 150 hp and 180 lbft. no way can a 22re touch a 3vze unless it totally raced out and has thousands of dollars in equipment.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 01:46:36 PM »
Totally agree, if it wasn't for that headgasket issue Toyota would of had another winner just like the 22r's.

toyotajoe35

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -146
  • Male Posts: 279
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 01:47:20 PM »
you cant do a 350sb conversion for the price to fix the head gasket on a 3.0

4rox

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 115
  • Male Posts: 122
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling in texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 02:29:40 PM »
you cant do a 350sb conversion for the price to fix the head gasket on a 3.0
I did!!!A head gasket job is at least $1200.00.Most of it in labor.I did my sbc for around $1100.00 give or take.Everything is a lot less complex as the 3.0.No vacuum lines ,$200.00 gasket set,etc,etc,etc...
I had a friend who blew two sets of head gaskets within 2 yrs of each other.Most of the stuff I used I refurbished which saved alot of money.
I'd rather push a Toyota than drive a Jeep!!!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 05:13:55 PM »

I beg to differ :yupyup:  I've hammered all of my motors pretty hard, and while two of the three have gone out, they've never left me stranded.  When the piston rings went on my second motor, I still drove it around for about 2 mos. before I put in the new motor, and I went through the 'con with it. All of the wheelin I have done has been with no crawler, and IFS, so My motors get beat to hell and back. 

the 3.0 may not be the best motor out there but i can definitly hold it own on the trail. i'm not really shure how much the motor has inproved over the 88 because all of my buddys have 90 and up toyotas.

The motor hasn't changed a bit :thumbs:  I've had a 91 motor in my truck, an 89 and an 88.  They're essentially the same, the 88 actually pulls the best :dunno:

Totally agree, if it wasn't for that headgasket issue Toyota would of had another winner just like the 22r's.

:thumbs:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

MUDDONKEY [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 08:00:21 PM »
AWESOME, NOW I'VE GOT TO REALLY THINK ABOUT THIS PURCHASE . ESPECIALLY SINCE HE HAS A RECEIPT FROM A TOY DEALERSHIP FOR A BRAND NEW HEAD GFASKET INSTALL!!! :driving:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 08:15:43 PM »
AWESOME, NOW I'VE GOT TO REALLY THINK ABOUT THIS PURCHASE . ESPECIALLY SINCE HE HAS A RECEIPT FROM A TOY DEALERSHIP FOR A BRAND NEW HEAD GFASKET INSTALL!!! :driving:

The problem with the original hg was they were too thin, so if you have a new one it should be the better set.

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 09:19:12 AM »
i ditched my 90 3.0 for a 93 22re, cause i like having dual cases without an extra adapter from tranny to tcase , and the v6 sux to work on, and maintence is higher

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 06:50:44 PM »
i ditched my 90 3.0 for a 93 22re, cause i like having dual cases without an extra adapter from tranny to tcase , and the v6 sux to work on, and maintence is higher
I kept my 3.0 because I couldn't afford to do anything else at the time.  Once this stops being my daily driver, and I've got some more $$ to throw into it, I'm going to be looking at either a 3.4 or a 4.3, dunno which one yet.  Really depends on whther I stay in the smog restriction happy state of CA or not :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 07:21:19 PM »
My 88 Runner did me well. Yeah, it lacked muscle , but it gave me 278k miles before I sold it in 2004. The headgaskets were changed under recall in 90. Aside from starter brushes and timing belts, it ran flawless. BTW, it was getting between 18 and 20 mpg at 55 mph on the highway. My 22R gets between 12 and 15 mpg.
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

82toyotakid

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 117
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 01:03:17 PM »
is a 22r a good motor or should i put a v6 in it? let meknow please or is the v6 a piece

MUDDONKEY [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2006, 05:24:05 PM »
is a 22r a good motor or should i put a v6 in it? let meknow please or is the v6 a piece
READ ABOVE :duh:

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2006, 07:14:37 PM »
 On the long haul the 22r-RE motors are a trouble free motor, the 3.0 Is a potential head gasket eater and the gas milage is less than desirable. If you are looking to save a buck stick with your 22 whatever, if you have money burning a hole in your pocket go for the 3.0!!!
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R