Author Topic: exahast?????????  (Read 2521 times)

84_yota_4wd

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 219
  • Male Posts: 831
  • Member since Feb '06
  • mountain goat
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
exahast?????????
« on: Apr 21, 2006, 12:08:09 PM »
hey guys got another tech question for u. k i just got a full length race header of of a dirt race car that had a 22r in it. haha that was a steal $50 bucks :beerchug:. k this is gonna b my illegal pipe. ive got my whole stock exahast in the shed for when smog day comes again.so i was planing on runnig 2 1/2 pipe stright from the header to a 8"x2 1/2"  racing glass pack from speedway motors and let it out just before the rear axle. now ive been askin around and ive got alot of different responses i.e. flowtech boom tube, chery bomb, ect what do u guys think  should do.  :help:

thanks mitchell :burnout: :burnout:
Marlin Crawler
Developers of the longest lasting and most successful
Toyota Transfer case, Transmission, and Differential products on the planet
(888) 94-CRAWL / 888-942-7295

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 162
  • Male Posts: 493
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Living life in Gods county
    • View Profile
Re: exahast?????????
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2006, 12:20:34 AM »
I would personally go with 2 1/4 pipe to start with if it is too big the you will not have enough back pressure.  I would also probably just but a 40 series flowmaster on it and just run that set up.  I've had 2 1/4 with a 40 series flowmaster on 3 of my toyota's and I like the sound on all of them also the power increase was noticeable plus it is not too loud  :thumbs:
1986 Toyota 4Runner 22re 5spd transmission and dual transfer cases (4.7’s in the rear). E-lockers front and rear.

2005 GMC Sierra diesel, compound turbo setup to pull.

God gave all people talents but the only one who can find them is you.

brc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Famous last words - Hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2006, 06:00:26 AM »
I am with toyo487.  2 1/4 and 40 series flowmaster.  I think the galss packs make toyotas sound like a high powered chainsaw.  Just my 2 cents

brc
1999 CTD 2500 Sport TST/MBRP/AFE/K&N and Quadzilla 315's yada-yada-yada
1985 Four runner 5in lift 35's lockers etc.
1973 FJ buggy project INWK 3RZ SM420 Mini Axles and Aluminum tub/cowl building to be light weight

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2006, 10:36:20 AM »
I had a header, 2 1/4, w/ 40 flowmaster on my 4-runner, It had decent back pressure and ok sound.  However I got tired of sound like everyone else around here that has flowmaster, great exhaust but I know to many people with that setup. 
On my truck i am going to be using the Downey header off the 4-runner and 2 1/4 exhaust but i am thinking about a dyno max turbo muff  :dunno:  I haven't made up my mind.
 But cherry bob's are so old school and sound like crap on a 4-banger.  :twocents:

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2006, 11:19:13 AM »
Glass packs/cherry bombs are for v8's.  They definitely weren't designed for 4 cyl's.  I hate guys that run a glass pack on a 4, I can hear them shift for miles!  I never did like how a flowmaster sounds.  I like a good el cheap-o quiet muffler on my four, so I can hear my stereo.  I just don't want to give a cop an excuse to pull me over!  It's bad enough that they pull me over cause I got only one rear lic plate light hooked up!  The other has my pigtail hooked into, it's the only place I could put it without ripping it off!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2006, 09:16:41 PM »
Glass packs/cherry bombs are for v8's.  They definitely weren't designed for 4 cyl's.  I hate guys that run a glass pack on a 4, I can hear them shift for miles! 

:rofl2: The best sounding muffler I've had so far on any of my trucks!  Had a cheapo turbo muffler, but it didn't sound as good and started self destructing from the inside out after about 8 months.  My truck used to be LOUD with only one glasspack, so I just got a better stereo system!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

megadeath6969

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2006, 09:28:45 PM »
whatever you do just put something on it im so tired of listening to your truck when im driving mine open header bad

Zamdrang

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2006, 09:43:31 PM »
I had the same question, and got lots of Flowmaster suggestions....I research things heavily and I ended up going with a Magnaflow muffler, its purrs when you drive it like it, and slightly roars when you dont...its not annoying but just enough to let you know its not stock.  Plus they're stainless, built well, and guaranteed for life. You cant beat them.  

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/02muffler.asp     The one on the left.  

Ive also ran the DynoMax turbo, sounds nice too....overall id say its quieter then the Magnaflow but not near the quality.  

I once ran 2 1/2" pipe....of all the Toys ive had that truck ran the worst.... :dunno:  Id stick with 2 1/4".
85 4Runner, 4.88s, 33" MTs, ARB, LC(Cam, TB, Injectors, Header), Brake Swap, 89 rear axle, SuperJunk 4" springs for now....

84_yota_4wd [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '06
  • mountain goat
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2006, 09:55:02 PM »
ya ill stick to 2 1/4 pipe how much is trhat magnaflow. ive been lookin at a dynomax top of the line glass pack from them its like 40 bucks
Marlin Crawler

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2006, 09:57:23 PM »
I ran around for a while in my truck with thorley header going to a 2.5" 40 series and you will hate it, it is so loud.  I have since gone to a 2 1/4" system with highflow cat and a hooker maximum flow muffler and love it.  I bet I gained a good 5 hp with over the flowmaster and no cat setup and at idle I cant hear it but once I romp on it it gets to sounding really good.  Too tell you the truth tho after running 6 different exhausts on a stock motor none made a difference except the header itself but now that my motors pretty built i notice the changes

Zamdrang

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2006, 06:40:37 PM »
I think I paid about twice that for the Magnaflow, $90 or so.   I just didnt want to have to worry about it ever again.   The old "get what you pay for" I guess.    On a tighter budget an aluminized muffler like the Dynomax is probably a safe choice.   You wont hate the sound, at least I doubt it....

I TOTALLY agree with Ramrod, ive ran a lot of these trucks with many different configurations, by far the most noticeable exhaust mod was a header.  My advice is buy a muffler based on sound....not claims of power.   I personally liked the sound of the Dynomax but it started showing signs of rust after a year and I lived in new mexico at the time......you dont get a much drier climate than that....... which brings me back to my ramble above...... :greengrin:   
85 4Runner, 4.88s, 33" MTs, ARB, LC(Cam, TB, Injectors, Header), Brake Swap, 89 rear axle, SuperJunk 4" springs for now....

84_yota_4wd [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '06
  • mountain goat
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Apr 24, 2006, 10:22:19 PM »
hey i broke doiwn and bought a glass pack it was just so loud oprn header i couldnt take it anymore. its nice and quiet now i put enghogh 2 1/4 pipe for it to come out the turn down right b4 the rear axle  its cool the race header and a glass pack quiet but clean. thanks i bet some other people r interested so keep on goin
Marlin Crawler

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 24, 2006, 10:56:58 PM »
You want to run the exhaust tip out from under the rig!  The exhaust will expediate rust from inside the body if you don't!  I've seen alot of rigs do this type of exhaust and rust starts showing up from the inside out! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

84_yota_4wd [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '06
  • mountain goat
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Apr 24, 2006, 11:07:54 PM »
huh interesting
Marlin Crawler