Author Topic: Please Help! Transfer case cracked at oil fill plug  (Read 2009 times)

andy_547

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Please Help! Transfer case cracked at oil fill plug
« on: Apr 13, 2006, 07:21:49 PM »
My transfer case has a small crack in it where the oil fill plug screws in. Does anyone know if the rear housing of the transfer case that has the plug in it could be removed while leaving the rest of the case in the truck?  I would like to take it apart and take it to a machine shop to get repaired. The truck is an 88 4cyl 22RE 5 Speed.

Thanks,
Andy

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
you may as well pull the whole thing out, its not gonna save you much (if any) work leaving it in
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
And plus, it's not that much work getting it out. Crossmember, d-shafts, 4x4 light sensor, and shifter, although it can come off with the shifter on. If you can get it on a lift, thats under an hour. On jackstands, give yourself an hour and a half to be generous. By then it may be a good idea to run to a junkyard and check out on another t-case and keep yours as a spare or for dual t's later on.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
You can do it while it's in the truck, but it's always easier working on a bench rather than on your back.
Here's a link that will show you exactly what you have to do to get the cover off...only one PITA snap ring.
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transfercase/470install/installation.htm
Good luck
Mark
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

andy_547 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Thanks for the help! Is it possible to remove the transfer case and leave the transmission in the truck or do they both have to come out together?

Thanks,
Andy

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Thanks for the help! Is it possible to remove the transfer case and leave the transmission in the truck or do they both have to come out together?

Thanks,
Andy

They can come out separately...it's a lot lighter that way.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

andy_547 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Thanks