Author Topic: Help Diagnose 22re Issue  (Read 2611 times)

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
Help Diagnose 22re Issue
« on: Dec 26, 2005, 09:28:56 PM »
Hey Guys, Well I have a strange Problem with my 94 Toy 22RE.

A few weeks ago I was driving along and the engine cut out completely, but it was only momentarily, as if it were starved for fuel.

The problem did not kick off a fault code and I just assumed it was water in the fuel Tank.

The other night I was up wheelin, really flogging the engine in the upper RPM's and the truck simply stopped Idling, then threw a fault. I Jumpered the diagnostic port and it gave me fault code 12, and 14. And If I rememebr correctly that is the ECU or something is not talking to the distributor.

I unplugged the battery to reset the fault code, then I messed with the flapper door on the airbox with the ignition on. You could hear the fuel pump relay kick on, and the ECU relays turn on, then the truck ran as if nothing happenned for a few more days.

Then last night she did the same exact thing, drove great all day, then just stopped Idling out of the blue and threw the code. I tried same trick again messing with the air flow meter by the airbox and it ran fine again, with a slight stummbling initially.

Soooooooo....... Do you guys think it may be something as simple as a clogged fuel filter? Or perhaps Water in the Gas tank?   The problem is so out of the blue I cant see it being the ECU. But It may be Ignition related, like the Coil, distributor etc..... But I hear those things dont just go out.

I was snow wheelin and you can eat off of the Engine, so Im ruling out a bad/dirty connection someplace.

Thanks in Advance and sorry for the  Long explaination!
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Help Diagnose 22re Issue
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2005, 09:45:01 PM »
i know that my ignitor jsut went out one day, no prior warning at all... not saying thats your problem, but things can just go out without warning... might be a simple ground problem, too even.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2005, 12:21:53 PM »
i know that my ignitor jsut went out one day, no prior warning at all... not saying thats your problem, but things can just go out without warning... might be a simple ground problem, too even.....

Thats what I was thinking...if you have a ground wire that has opened up it could just be catching a peice of metal and shorting out every once in a while.  I would start my search on the ground wires, then move to looking for any other wires that are stripped or damaged.  Simple things first, then worry about the big things.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

2toyotas

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2006, 07:11:40 AM »
re-ground your coil

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2006, 11:00:17 PM »
Ok so I did changed the dist cap. rotor plug wires and plugs hoping it would be the dist cap or rotor.....

I drove for an entire week without any issues at all.  So my next question is what are the symptoms of a plugged fuel filter?

I was driving up the highway and the engine would cut out completely, but very briefly as if starved for fuel... Then at a few stoplights she would just die, then check engine light would come on. Im going to change the fuel filter tomorrow but I really hate shotgun maintenance like that even though it is due for a change anyway.

Im also gonna swap in a different Air flow sensor to see if that fixes it.  This is the strangest problem I have ever seen So intermeittent so its hard to say if you have fixed anything at all.

I will try re-grounding the coil as well, thanks for the help guys!
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 371
  • Male Posts: 275
  • Member since May '04
  • 3RZ-FE power is that much closer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:12:44 AM »
It may also be your O2 sensor. Sometimes your PCM will test your O2 sensor by either richening the mixture or leaning it out to see what readings it gets. If you have an extra you may swap it on there. Also, Alaska gas can get pretty crappy in the winter so throw a bottle of HEET in there every other tank of gas.
In Progress: 3RZ-FE Swap Underway.

Currently: 87' 4Runner - SAS - 5.29's - welded rear - Dual 2.28 cases - Optima bluetop - round headlight conversion - FZJ80 grill - rattlecan paint job - trimmed fenders - Ranger hybrid springs front - Tacoma hybrid springs rear - schedule 160 drivelines 8" slip front - Marlin's crossmember - disk brake conversion