Author Topic: Gettin the Ole' Lady a Promise ring... any ideas?  (Read 5921 times)

DontStall Rockcrwl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 90
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
Gettin the Ole' Lady a Promise ring... any ideas?
« on: Dec 21, 2005, 03:36:20 PM »
So im trying to find a good way to give my old lady her promise ring. any cool little tricks you guys have done in the past to give it a little more UMPH?
You have all gotta be jealous how close i live to the 'Con

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Put the ring on a ribbon tied around a white teddybear. :ladys-man: for sure.
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2005, 04:41:44 PM by MiniSimp »

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Take her out to dinner and have it arranged to put the ring on the dessert. Just make sure she doesn't eat it.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
I handed my wife a single red rose, with a gold ribbon tied around it. She didn't see the ring at first, but I thought she would squeeze my head off after she found it.

It was subtle, yet profound. (At least I thought it was)

Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
went for a walk around a duck pond.  Talked about nothing for a while, then got all tongue tied, figured out thwat I was trying to say, and slid it on her finger.  :thumbs:

Something simple, but based around something she likes is always a good thing :yupyup:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
The rose and the teddy bear are great!

I like the teddy bear better, the rose will die, but she will always have the teddy bear as a reminder.

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
no no no, you guys have it all wrong. Where's the romance??

Go out and rent Harrison Ford's worst movie, Sabrina, and you will learn a sweet way.

I did it to Misato and it worked really well  :greengrin:

What I did was I went out and bought a ring. Then I went to a store and bought a spool of string, I think I used pink string because that's her favorite color. Then, on the big day, I had worked up quite a plan.

I did some research and found out that we have a few restaurants in town which are at least $30 a plate per person :yikes: So I took her there and I treated her like royalty. I must have blown $75 at this amazing Italian restaurant named "Max". While we were there, I pulled out a present that was wrapped in red, and she opened it to reveal a really nice set of perfumes that were pretty expensive and I had known that she wanted them.

This was our 1 year anniversary, and I really built her up to this gift. I wanted it to seem like that was what I felt one year was worth. ? You know what I'm saying? I tried to sell the point that this was such an amazing present and how, combined with the meal, I was certain she could see how I had dished out a good $250 on this evening. I think we did something afterwards also, like we got some desert at Cold Stone Creamery or something...

...what ever it was, I was acting so happy and that this was what I came to offer her.

Then, when we got back to her place, you know, and little bit of this and a little bit of that hahahaha and when it was almost time for me to leave and head home, I pull out this really small present, of course, a square shape and looks like it must be from a jewelry shop.

So she is like WHAT?! NO WAY! And she opens it up, and she is in total awe because we had already done so much, and she unwraps it and slowly opens it up, and, and, and,...... She pulls out some string. Now she is really confused. And at this point, I take the string and I pull out a poem that I had written for her.

Now during this whole evening, before it even began, when I got dressed at home, I put her ring into my right pocket. I was so nervous about it because a couple of times I had to pull my car keys out and I was worried the ring would drop out. But it was ok, and when we got back to her place, I made sure to pull my car keys out and leave them with my shoes at the door. And when she was taking the wrapping off of the ring box, I knew she would only be concentrating on that, so I carefully reached into my right pocket and pulled out the ring and kept it in my right hand.

So after she opened it up and found the string, I started reading the poem, and with the ring in the palm of my hand, I slowly took her hand and tied one end of the string around her ring finger and slowly unraveled the string. I stood up and right as I was finishing the poem, I slipped the ring onto the string, and let it go.

Now, hahaha Now, in the movie, the ring went right down the string and right onto her finger. But I couldn't play up to Mr Ford. He's just too dang good lol When I did it, I didnt think about the slack in the line, and the ring stopped about 2 inches short of her ring finger and it just dangled there.

I was SUPER EMBARRASSED and pretty upset because the whole evening was a complete success until the very last thing.
But you know, she really remembers it and she loves how I tired to do it but didn't make it. She says that made it even better!  :disturbed:

So it was definitely a good evening :thumbs:

And the cool thing was that I had planned to spend about $400 on her ring. So I spent two months between buying stuff for my MR2 and saving extra money for our anniversary, and I finally had saved enough money. And this is when I learned about credit. Yes, I am new to the credit world and in fact I do not even have a credit card. But I was expecting to blow 4-bills on the ring, and then I would only be able to go to an average resturant and that would be the whole evening.
But I think I paied just $50 for the ring as the first payment, so I had a good $350 in my pocket, so thats how I could afford the perfume and the expensive resturant.

Man, everything just worked out so well that time, now the problem is that I'll have to upstage that for next year hahahaha

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
The rose and the teddy bear are great!

I like the teddy bear better, the rose will die, but she will always have the teddy bear as a reminder.

:rofl2:  you just reminded me,  when i took Kris his axle,  his 3 or 4 y/o daughter was looking at my moms homemade baby quilts,   she finally settled on these two different blankets but couldnt deside which one,  me and Kris and his wife were standing there,  My mom aasked if she wanted the little flowers or the ABC's  she said in the sweetest little voice," Flowers die all the time" and reached for the ABC blankey,  Me and Kris had to step away  it was so hilarious, :rofl:  he said, "she has such a little attitude"  i laughed about that all the way home
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

waskillywabbit

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
    • View Profile
    • WabFab Off -Road LLC
Most women are generally very historical with everything...or my wife is...she remembers what I wore, where we ate, all those kind of details from all our dates etc.

Plan a special evening, whatever that would be for you, i.e. dinner, movie, long walk, whatever it is, pay close attention to every detail as that will show her you were thinking of her.  Perhaps dress up nice, get a haircut, clip your nose hair, trim your eyebrows, whatever...go out of your way to make her feel extra special in every aspect.

You might try going back to the place you first met, or the place of your first date...for my wife it is the effort I put forth to show her how much I love her that she appreciates most.  :ladys-man:

:yupyup:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Man, I remember I first bought the ring around valentines day.  Spotter didn't wind up getting the ring until about 2 months later :smack:  I was soooo nervous, and wanted to wait until the right time that I drove around with the ring in my glovebox for all that time. 

Actually, Spotter's and my story is pretty funny.  We went for a walk, then went and sat down on this bench in the trees facing the duckpond at Simpson College in Redding, CA.  We're sitting there, talking about nothing, and I'm holding this ring in my pocket.  We were going to the rodeo that night with some friends, and I knew I was running out of time.  Spotter was talking about something, and then she checked the time, and said ok, we need to head out, and stood up :smack:  I told her not yet, came out whith this great little speech (If I do say so myself :hammerhead: ) and slid the ring on her finger.  We still laugh about it that day, but when I looked into her eyes, I couldn't believe how much love and happiness I saw in there.  Don't forget, about all, its not how you present the ring, but the fact that you are that really matters. :yupyup:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
:love: You guys, this is so sweet! I"m sittin here at the library reading yer stories and grinnin... people are like WTF :hahaha: Mike, that was great.  Way to make her feel special :yesnod:

The others are great too :yupyup:

As fer me, I ain't got any ideas yet  :headshake: But if I come up with something I'll be sure to post up :greengrin:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
As fer me, I ain't got any ideas yet :headshake: But if I come up with something I'll be sure to post up :greengrin:
yeah what ever, I dont buy that excuse :yupyup:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
yeah what ever, I dont buy that excuse :yupyup:

:hahaha: Why should I? :headscratch:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
RUN!!!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
somebody had to say it, right?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Man, I remember I first bought the ring around valentines day.  Spotter didn't wind up getting the ring until about 2 months later :smack:  I was soooo nervous, and wanted to wait until the right time that I drove around with the ring in my glovebox for all that time. 

Actually, Spotter's and my story is pretty funny.  We went for a walk, then went and sat down on this bench in the trees facing the duckpond at Simpson College in Redding, CA.  We're sitting there, talking about nothing, and I'm holding this ring in my pocket.  We were going to the rodeo that night with some friends, and I knew I was running out of time.  Spotter was talking about something, and then she checked the time, and said ok, we need to head out, and stood up :smack:  I told her not yet, came out whith this great little speech (If I do say so myself :hammerhead: ) and slid the ring on her finger.  We still laugh about it that day, but when I looked into her eyes, I couldn't believe how much love and happiness I saw in there.  Don't forget, about all, its not how you present the ring, but the fact that you are that really matters. :yupyup:

Hmmm...do you call her Spotter in bed too, bet she loves that.   :disturbed:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
So im trying to find a good way to give my old lady her promise ring. any cool little tricks you guys have done in the past to give it a little more UMPH?
tip from the dan-dont refer to her as ol lady and youll be good, even if she says its ok, its not, trust me.
try calling her by her name :thumbs:

DontStall Rockcrwl [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 90
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
Alright well thanks for all the tips guys, those are some great stories haha the only thing i would be afraid of is topping it off the next year!  :hammerhead:  Anyways, it kinda sucks i wish i could suprise her, but i am a poor college student and i spent every penny on this ring, and was only able to buy her one or 2 other little things.... but anyways guys keep the ideas flowin!  :beerchug:
You have all gotta be jealous how close i live to the 'Con

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
GET IT AWN!
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
For my wife's engagement ring I took her to Yosemite in the middle of winter, took her to all of the waterfalls (which was fun cause all of the paths were iced over) had lunch, took about 500 photos, then took her to the meadow, dodged some coyote's, got down on one knee in the snow and asked her. :thumbs:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Alright well thanks for all the tips guys, those are some great stories haha the only thing i would be afraid of is topping it off the next year!  :hammerhead:  Anyways, it kinda sucks i wish i could suprise her, but i am a poor college student and i spent every penny on this ring, and was only able to buy her one or 2 other little things.... but anyways guys keep the ideas flowin!  :beerchug:
Don't worry about toppin' it off next year.  This is going to be a great event for her :yupyup: 

-Ronald Reagan

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -33
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
maybe I'm just totally naive, but what is the difference between a promise ring and an engagement ring? what if she thinks it's one, and not the other?

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
Yeah I like nates idea better....run! I can only imagine where my ex girlfriends engagement ring is :dunno: hahaha prolly down the shitter. Nah she'd have pawned it before that. :rofl:
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
Legally engagement rings are supposed to go back to you. If it was enough money you could sue her for it if you felt like being a real dickhead.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Legally engagement rings are supposed to go back to you. If it was enough money you could sue her for it if you felt like being a real thingyhead.
really depends on how much of a pregnant dog she was in breaking off the engagment. but lets not throw this off into that direction, we'll scare DSR off.

DSR, if there is something she really likes, something she collects, tie the ring in with that somehow. Even  a small stuff animal with the ring around it's neck would be memorable.

Where is the Mammoth?

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Oh yeah, and what Alyssa said, I forgot we were talking about a promise ring and not an engagment ring. What exactly is a promise ring?

Where is the Mammoth?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Isn't a promise ring just that? A promise to date one person exclusively?  :dunno:

It was kinda weird for me and my wife, we started as friends, she was the friend of a girl I had my eyes on. We all hung out together and cruised around in her VW bug, gettin drunk and such. We even went to Mexico once and I married all three of them at once. ::)  It was pretty crazy back then, I had just got out of the Army and was just looking to goof around. I don't know how I ended up hangin' with them all the time but it just worked out that way, and there was my best friend from school that went out with us, just not every night. Anyways our little group lost 1 of the girls (the one I was interested in..... figures) so now it was just the 4 of us partying almost every night, going to concerts and hangin' at Venice/Santa Monica beaches. Now nobody was dating anyone we were all just having fun and all when one night it was just me and one of the girls in my truck we were just kickin' back watching the boats cruise the Marina and she says "Hey lets get married, we're such good friends pretty much inseparable so why wouldn't it work?" I replied "Sure why not!" That was almost 30 years ago, we've now been together going on 28 years.

Maybe that's why we've made it so long we were/are the best of friends, no tension in the beginning as to what she was doing when she went somewhere and I didn't go or the reverse. Our relationship wasn't built on any dating schedule or the the like, hell we hadn't even really kissed when the idea came up, not that  :bumpinbutts: wasn't going on but that was just havin' some fun. I honestly never "dated" her, we were just hangin' out together.

:blah:  :blah:  :blah:
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2005, 08:30:34 AM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
maybe I'm just totally naive, but what is the difference between a promise ring and an engagement ring? what if she thinks it's one, and not the other?

A promise ring is whatever you want it to be.  It can be a promise to be together forever, to get engaged when you are financially ready,  pretty much anything you can think of.  The reason I gave spotter one was to signify my commitment to her.  I wanted her to know that Iwas always going to be there, and I wasn't going to be leaving.  We are not prepared to get married yet, but I wanted her to know that It was in my intentions to marry her.  :yupyup:  Mine is basically an engagment ring I guess, but not quite :dunno:

Don't stall, did you figure it out yet?

-Ronald Reagan