Author Topic: Need ideas here, buddy broke a dr. side long and........................  (Read 1314 times)

FatAzzRunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -191
  • Male Posts: 448
  • Member since Jul '02
  • Kansas, Flexin on cowpatties
    • View Profile
OK, here it is. 

a buddy of mine was trying to get up a very steep vertical wall and had his wheels cranked toward the passenger side with a driver side tire in a big crack.  He was on the gas pedal, nothing crazy but spinning the tires, and right when he began to climb, BOOOOOM!  the whole trucked lerched forward and came to a sudden stop.

We winched him up, had him drive to a small ledge and try to climb it and the drivers side did nothing.  We went back to camp immediately, pulled the drivers side guts and the Longfield had exploded.  The splines on the inner were in great shape so we didnt figure anything else inside was damaged.

Well, we threw in a new Longfield and went back to wheelin and found out later that he couldnt steer to one side ( I dont remember which side ).  If he was in 2 wd, he could steer fine, if he is in 4 wd with the hubs locked, his steering is shot.

He parked it inside his car trailer, it loaded fine in 2wd.  He got it home and pulled it out in 2wd without an issue......................Today on the other hand, he got in the truck, put it in reverse and the rig would not move.   :yikes:  The drivers side tire lifted off the ground and the passenger side tire dug DOWN and INTO the driveway.   :dunno:  :headscratch:   At that point, he couldnt pull it forward or backward if I am understanding him correctly so he had to rev it up a bit and dump the clutch.  A HUGE BOOM went off  :reg: and the the truck shook but then he was able to drive it without an issue.

He thinks he might have broke something in the T-Case, I think it is either the passenger side Long broke at the same time but didnt explode, just swelled out a bit or broke a locker or ring and pinion. 

What does this sound like to you guys????

We already know the easiest thing is to tear it apart but we are tryin to figure it out in advance due to the fact that he has NO time to tear into it right now as he is in the middle of moving.

85 Runner, 5" All-Pro Extreme Lift, Complete Marlin T-Case with new TS 4.7 gears, Super Birfields(Longfields), 5:29's, Detroited front, Spooled rear, 36" TSL's, Bikini top.

Yes, Livin in Kansas sucks azz!!

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
What locker is he running in the front?  And Id say its something in the front axle long before a t-case issue.  From the sounds of it the whole assembly needs to be torn down as something is floating inside the housing, pinion tooth maybe?  ;)
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

seanc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -357
  • Male Posts: 347
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Wheeler For Life!
    • View Profile
you probably did get something in the housing or something is still floating in the knuckle...
You win some, you lose some.

FatAzzRunner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -191
  • Male Posts: 448
  • Member since Jul '02
  • Kansas, Flexin on cowpatties
    • View Profile
That was my thought exactly.  I think it is either a chunk of that Long or maybe a broken R&P tooth or something..

I will let him know.

The TCase didnt sound right to me either.

Aaron
85 Runner, 5" All-Pro Extreme Lift, Complete Marlin T-Case with new TS 4.7 gears, Super Birfields(Longfields), 5:29's, Detroited front, Spooled rear, 36" TSL's, Bikini top.

Yes, Livin in Kansas sucks azz!!