Author Topic: Paint on Bedliners...  (Read 2843 times)

YOguyDa

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 160
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
Paint on Bedliners...
« on: May 09, 2005, 01:47:11 AM »
I was at Wal-mart the other day, and noticed a gallon of paint on bed liner for $40...I think its made by "Color Place", but im not for sure, since that is a Wal-Mart brand. Anybody have any experience with this stuff?? Im trying to figure out why a name brand like "Herculiner" is selling for a considerable amount more than "off-brands"...Is there really a difference besides the "named brand"?

Feel free to share all products and experiences you've heard of and experienced......I need some input...I cant stand to see my truck suffer, i gotta get something down in the bed.

Thanks
'86 2wd now...

mudaddict

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 1,829
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
    • All Pro Off Road
Re: Paint on Bedliners...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 08:20:21 AM »
dupli color makes a pretty good bed liner. we used it at work and did a really light coat and tis holding up really well to a rack full of batteries i will be putting it in my 4runner soon.
98 Taco- Super charged, sas'd, bobbed, locked,taco boxed with 39's
Taco Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88901.0

I work At
All Pro Off Road

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 08:45:42 AM »
Herculiner works pretty well in the cabs and tubs of trucks and Jeeps.  I've heard that it's decent in the beds of trucks but can be scratched up and fades without somekind of UV protectant.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 02:06:57 PM »
I used the herculiner on my sliders and rear bumper.  On the sliders it wears out quickly where your foot brushes against them getting in and out.  On the rear bumper it has pealed off.  As mentioned it fades, really quick.  The cheaper stuff might not last as long, but at $40 it is worth a shot. 
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 03:59:56 PM »
I used Durabak on a Jeep about 2 yrs ago. Still is holding up pretty well. Also has rubber chunks in it. I think it was kind of spendy though, $100 for a gallon.
Time to go wheelin!

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 04:07:43 PM »
I herculined my sliders as well. Not the smartest investment, It looked great for a week then began to fade But they do make some sort of UV protecting stuff that prologs its life etc..... I think the trick to this stuff lasting is how well you prep the surface. Durabak and por15 work very well. Herculiner always has so-so results.  Its a lot of coin but I recommend having a lineX, or rhino liner installed. I bought my 94 with one of those already in and it is very durable, and sprayed on thick. I think it may set you back $300 though.
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

awhotrods

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 154
  • Male Posts: 1,203
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 04:11:52 PM »
I used the duplicolor stuff on my floorboards and it turned out really nice.  Like guywithugltyota said, its all in the prep work, I scraped the entire floor, sanded it with 80 grit, wiped it clean with acetone, and it worked great.  Only took two quarts two cover my whole floor.  You can see a pic in the buildup section under progress on my 82.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 12:42:28 AM »
Its a lot of coin but I recommend having a lineX, .............I think it may set you back $300 though.

I agree with you on the line-x.  A buddy of mine bought the line-x store in Chico in January.  After being at his shop and seeing the stuff in person, I am going to have him hit my sliders and rear bumper once things settle down for him.  The price isn't to bad at about $400 for a small truck bed. 
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

YOguyDa [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 160
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 12:33:35 PM »

The price isn't to bad at about $400 for a small truck bed.

Well, for do it yourselfers..... $40 VS. $400 Is a bad price. lol.

I used the duplicolor stuff on my floorboards and it turned out really nice. Like guywithugltyota said, its all in the prep work, I scraped the entire floor, sanded it with 80 grit, wiped it clean with acetone, and it worked great. Only took two quarts two cover my whole floor. You can see a pic in the buildup section under progress on my 82.

I agree with the prep work statement, it can make or break a good quality paint/liner...By the way, Thanks for the tailgate, now i can get to work on sanding out the bed and preping for the liner. I was just wondering how you got all that crap off the floorboards? Since im heading inside the cab next with that stuff....

Thanks
'86 2wd now...

awhotrods

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 154
  • Male Posts: 1,203
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 12:40:09 PM »
I would use the duplicolor over the herculiner, seems to be a better product, and is cheaper.  For the interior, I used a really stiff/sharp putty knife and scraped away.  I have heard about some people breaking up dry ice and putting it all over the floor.  Then after 10-15 mins, hit it with a hammer and the stuff will just shatter off.  I couldn't find a dry ice place close by so it was just elbow grease for me.

Well, for do it yourselfers..... $40 VS. $400 Is a bad price. lol.

I agree with the prep work statement, it can make or break a good quality paint/liner...By the way, Thanks for the tailgate, now i can get to work on sanding out the bed and preping for the liner. I was just wondering how you got all that crap off the floorboards? Since im heading inside the cab next with that stuff....

Thanks

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 12:44:05 PM »
I would use the duplicolor over the herculiner, seems to be a better product, and is cheaper.  For the interior, I used a really stiff/sharp putty knife and scraped away.  I have heard about some people breaking up dry ice and putting it all over the floor.  Then after 10-15 mins, hit it with a hammer and the stuff will just shatter off.  I couldn't find a dry ice place close by so it was just elbow grease for me.

:psss: You can get dry Ice at most supermarkets (albertsons, ralphs, safeway)
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

mudaddict

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 1,829
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
    • All Pro Off Road
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 10:50:30 PM »
i used a putty nice some soap and water and some sand paper, i jsut did the front florr boards of my runner today with dupicolor, i really like the texture its a good one for inside the cab i got the spay stuff so tis not that chunky or anyhting. i will be doing the rest of my runner tomorrow.
98 Taco- Super charged, sas'd, bobbed, locked,taco boxed with 39's
Taco Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88901.0

I work At
All Pro Off Road

chevyLUVtoyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2005, 12:25:57 AM »
dupli color you can get the wight and put your color of your truck in with it and it works out good