Author Topic: ATF Fluid in gear Tcase??  (Read 1475 times)

surfindave

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 112
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
ATF Fluid in gear Tcase??
« on: Apr 27, 2005, 07:29:22 PM »
Hi guys just building my marlin crawler and have the auto guys have had oil issues with the coupler so i was wondering if auto tranny fluid would be ok to use in the Dual case setup ?
What would happen if ATF fluid mixd with gear oil?
What would happen if the gear oil got into the Auto??? :shocking:
Thanks Dave

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
Re: ATF Fluid in gear Tcase??
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2005, 09:19:23 PM »
Thats a good question,,I think its not very likly to get 80/90 in the trans,,the pressure in the auto I'm sure is greater then in the t-case wich would keep out the 80/90..On the flip i doubt it would hurt anything having atf in there..Alot of cases run atf,,all mostly chain cases but i don't know what damage if any would happen..My guess is you would just change your fluid a bit more often..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

surfindave [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 112
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2005, 10:01:45 PM »
Hey Thanks
I have been doin some research over here and found some ppl are running mobil 1 synthetic in there autos for race type 4x4n applications i thought this would be a no go but apperantly it is shite hot???

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2005, 11:39:13 AM »
The ATF in the T-case is less of a concern.  I'd be more worried about gear oil in the Auto trans.

There are a bunch of manual transmissions in the world that use ATF for lubrication.  It's thinner, produces better performance and mileage.  So I would think that a little ATF getting in the t-case would not be a huge problem.  But if you want to run ATF as a primary lube for the T-case I'll do some research on that and get back to you.

'04 Taco DC 4x4

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2005, 02:29:11 PM »
OK I was wrong.  I asked a guy who blends and sells specialty oils for a living.  And he said no ATF will protect/properly lubricate a T-case that calls for a GL5.  You will have accelerated wear.  But some kind of lubricant is better than running it dry.  If you have a chain case that uses ATF you may be fine and if it leaks between the 2 probably not a problem.

But if a gear case would leak oil into a trans I'd image there could be a possibility with the added gear reduction that stress on the outputs and its seal may cause some leakage after many miles of use.  But I don't think its a huge issue.

As far as contamination.  Its one of those things where it will work but the ATF will likely not last as long as it would if uncontaiminated.  And we could speculate as to what would happen to the trans clutches if the gear oils additive pack has friction modifiers in it.  But any guess is as good as mine there.

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2005, 06:17:05 PM by Huhwhye »
'04 Taco DC 4x4