Author Topic: 1991 4runner running rich  (Read 536 times)

peanutt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
1991 4runner running rich
« on: Jul 14, 2023, 04:47:02 PM »
I have a 1991 4runner that has a fresh swapped 22re in it thats running really rich. I changed injectors, tps, iacv, afm, and 02 sensor. My issue that im having is the truck was heavily modded before i got my hand on it. I looked at the 02 sensor and noticed that the second sensor has been cut i have after market headers.  The previous motor was also a 22r block converted to efi and the ecu is a performance ecu. I have another stock ecu that i switched out but i think its another older model truck. i did paper clip trick and its flash code 5. Can someone point me in the right direction in figuring out how to convert it back to dual 02 sensor(if that will fix it). A part of me thinks that it could be the ECU as well because prior to me changing some stuff it was giving me codes 7 and 11. Any way much help would be appreciated.

i was messing with it today and didnt think and unplugged the afm wire while it was running and now am getting 2 ,5 , 8 codes. How bad did i mess up by doing that lol

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1293
  • Male Posts: 537
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Re: 1991 4runner running rich
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2023, 08:45:13 AM »
Check your grounds. Make sure all the grounds are intact and bonded properly, no paint, corrosion, or dirt in the connection.

A bad ECT (engine coolat temp) sensor can make the ECU think its cold all the time.

A leaking cold start injector or bad cold start timer??

The second O2 sensor is just to monitor the cat condition, needs to be in the system just to keep the CEL off, won't affectt the mixture.

Engine codes are 2 number codes. "2,5,8,7" are not proper, but 11 can be an absolute pregnant dog to chase down sometimes. I've found ground connections are most at fault.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1293
  • Male Posts: 537
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Re: 1991 4runner running rich
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2023, 09:06:49 AM »
Since your truck is a 1991 I took for granted the electronics would be the same, hence the 2 number CELs. The single # CELs can be from an earlier electronics set, like '85-87, so my mistake. IF you are in CA that will not pass muster for the smog program for a conversion.

I also take for granted whoever did the conversion knew what they were doing, check all the work. Are there a lot of cuts and splices in the harness?

If the electronics used are indeed early 22RE you might want to look into getting the later, '91-'95, electronics anyway.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.