Author Topic: FIRST SWAP 20R to 22RE  (Read 1230 times)

accountant_mechanic_

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 40
  • Male Posts: 43
  • Member since Feb '21
  • Self Taught
    • View Profile
FIRST SWAP 20R to 22RE
« on: Feb 15, 2021, 07:10:28 PM »
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, finally getting around to working on my own swap. I have a 79 Hilux Long Bed that I am currently doing a swap/build on.

I have completely stripped the interior, pulled out the 20R and sold it along with the L43 4-speed. I have since replaced it with a 94 (2-square plug ECU) 22R-E and a G52 5-speed with dual cases with the adapter from Advance Adapters. Currently the 22R-E is sitting in the engine bay and the transmission is mounted using the Front Range Off-Road crossmember and skid. It has been waiting for me to finish the wiring. I have a complete harness (engine and body) to go into the truck. I am just not sure about the wiring for the gauge cluster and the ignition. I don't need the check engine light to work- I have plenty of gauges to know when something goes wrong and I have already blocked off the EGR/O2 sensors, so the only thing it would be used for really is rod knock.. and I'm pretty sure I'd know if I had a rod knock.

I am also unsure about the gas tank situation. I have been told that since I am going from carburetor to EFI that I will need to get a new tank with a new fuel pump and run another gas line... but run the line to where? And from where?

I know that this was kind of a long post. sorry about that. TLDR:
-Need to know how to wire up 79 gauges with 94 wires
-Need to know how to wire up 79 ignition with 94 wires
-need to know about carb to EFI gas tank stuff

Thank you in advance.  :usa:
Instagram @accountant_mechanic_

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
Re: FIRST SWAP 20R to 22RE
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2021, 08:11:30 PM »
Keep the check engine light. There is no reason to get rid of it and there are lots of things it can help you diagnose.

You can not just eliminate o2 sensors on a 22re.

You need a efi tank/pump and fuel line. Replace the carbed fuel line with efi line.  You should be able to use the fuel line out of any 22re or 3.0 truck/4runner. I'm pretty sure I ended up using 3.0 line on my truck. Here is a link to some info on gas tanks.https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96354.msg1074145#msg1074145

80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

accountant_mechanic_ [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '21
  • Self Taught
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2021, 08:43:03 PM »
Ok EFI needs O2 sensors. That clearly didn’t register in my head until I said it out loud  :idea:

As far as the check engine light goes; I can’t keep what I don’t have. My current harness wont work with the old gauges. That’s why I need the wiring help. Im pretty sure I read that you have to solder a new pin for the check engine light but boooo that’s out of my wheelhouse. As of right now there is no check engine light.

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2021, 09:39:06 PM »
Ok EFI needs O2 sensors. That clearly didn’t register in my head until I said it out loud  :idea:

As far as the check engine light goes; I can’t keep what I don’t have. My current harness wont work with the old gauges. That’s why I need the wiring help. Im pretty sure I read that you have to solder a new pin for the check engine light but boooo that’s out of my wheelhouse. As of right now there is no check engine light.

I'm not going to be able to offer any help on the gauges, other than to suggest getting a wiring diagram for your cluster and the donor truck cluster and start maching things up.

As for the cel, there is nothing special about the light. I am using a $2 bulb from the parts store, mounted to my dash. I've seen guys wire the cel up to a light in the cluster that wasnt being used, like the oil warning light for example. Anyway, if you have the wiring harness, setting up the cel shouldnt be much trouble. I cant recal off the top of my head how its wired. One of the wires is purple and comes from the ecu. The other wire might just be a ground, I cant remember.

Here are some more links you may find useful. Good luck.

https://irate4x4.com/forum/brand-spe...rz-3rz-3vz-5vz

https://www.forum.4x4north.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=233
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,254
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2021, 03:39:32 AM »
I really appreciate seeing that a young new active member can post a legitimate question here about his project and 24 hours later a seasoned member posts an answer to help.  Nice!  :biggthumpup:

I got so sick of the moronic a-holes that spent their worthless pathetic life on Pirate doing nothing but posting the most profane and idiotic slander they could come up with because someone asked a question for help.

Kudos to toyodaaddict!!  :beerchug:

Gnarls. :gap:
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2021, 03:45:27 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '21
  • Self Taught
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2021, 12:10:13 PM »
As for the cel, there is nothing special about the light. I am using a $2 bulb from the parts store, mounted to my dash. I've seen guys wire the cel up to a light in the cluster that wasnt being used, like the oil warning light for example. Anyway, if you have the wiring harness, setting up the cel shouldnt be much trouble. I cant recal off the top of my head how its wired. One of the wires is purple and comes from the ecu. The other wire might just be a ground, I cant remember.

Hello again- can you please show me what you're talking about for the CE light? I thought that the harness plugs right into the dash and the light comes on from that? Do I cut a wire from the harness and run it into an open space? I have a lot of pictures of what I'm talking about but I am unable to post them yet because I only have 4 posts (this will be my 5th) and I need 11 posts to post attachments.

Also how do I actually tag you in a post so that you can get notified? I'm still getting used to this forum  :willynilly:

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2021, 04:19:18 PM »
See the little green bulb next to the glove box. Its just a $2 bulb from the parts store.

Yes, there are two wires that you need to locate and run to a light bulb. I was wrong that one might be a ground, it's not. One is purple and comes from the ecu. The other im not so sure about, refer to your wiring diagram.

When you quote a post, the person who posted it will be notified
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2021, 04:29:04 PM by toyodaaddict »

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '21
  • Self Taught
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2021, 07:47:38 PM »
Oh woah, hold on there. You mean you literally wired your check engine light up as an independent light and NOT somewhere in your gauge cluster?

I've also got a few more questions to prick the brain of anybody reading this:
1) Will I be able to add a quick detach steering wheel to this (1979) steering column?
2) Aside from the radio, is there anything else electric on the dashboard? (mine was taken apart when I got it so IDK about switches- I know climate control is all mechanical)
3) is there a dash face that doesn't have that radio cutout? Or maybe one that has a cutout for a single din radio? I haven't been able to find one

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2021, 08:26:46 PM »
Oh woah, hold on there. You mean you literally wired your check engine light up as an independent light and NOT somewhere in your gauge cluster?

I've also got a few more questions to prick the brain of anybody reading this:
1) Will I be able to add a quick detach steering wheel to this (1979) steering column?
2) Aside from the radio, is there anything else electric on the dashboard? (mine was taken apart when I got it so IDK about switches- I know climate control is all mechanical)
3) is there a dash face that doesn't have that radio cutout? Or maybe one that has a cutout for a single din radio? I haven't been able to find one

Yes, that's what I'm telling you. The bulb in the cluster isnt anything special. There are two wires that operate the cel and you can run them to any bulb you want. What would have been cool is if my cel was wired in place of my seatbelts warning light in the cluster.

I told you the purple (violet in the manual) wire from the ecu is one of them. It sends ground signals from the ecu to the bulb. It was bugging me that I didnt know where the other wire was coming from. So, Looking at a wiring diagram, the other wire makes it's way from the cel to the engine fuse and will have a constant 12v with the ignition on. You can verify this with the wiring diagram in your manual.

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '21
  • Self Taught
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2021, 08:37:46 PM »
Yes, that's what I'm telling you. The bulb in the cluster isnt anything special. There are two wires that operate the cel and you can run them to any bulb you want. What would have been cool is if my cel was wired in place of my seatbelts warning light in the cluster.

For some reason I had it pegged that the wire WAS something special  :hammerhead: Thanks for the clarification. I will have to do some digging when I get back to my truck. This will be my 8th post so I will be able to upload attachments soon HALLELUJA  :D