Author Topic: New member  (Read 767 times)

pedroy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« on: Jun 05, 2020, 08:43:36 AM »
New member here... recently purchased a 1983 Toyota Pickup 4wd.  The truck is in decent shape and would like to restore it.  There are few things that I need and researching:
1.  Suspension - it is currently lifted and I do not know the current setup but it has dual shocks on each wheel side.  It is very stiff and I am thinking of going OME with 5" shackles.  Maybe someone here can give recommendation/suggestion.
2.  Coolant/Washer fluid reservoir - my coolant / washer fluid reservoir is almost gone.  It has started to disintegrate and I am looking for alternative.
3.  I am looking for interior parts - pillar panels (on the seat belt area), wood grain panel with black trim driver side, black ashtray, SR5 door panels (blue), OEM stereo or any alternative that will not require cutting the wood grain trim.  I have a very good dash that I may sell.  I am replacing it with a brand new OEM dash pad.
4.  1 of the glass on the sliding window is broken but I have a new whole rear window glass with all the glass intact.  I had been reading and it looks like I cannot change 1 sliding glass without removing the whole glass assembly.  If that is the case, I will just replace the whole thing  but I could not find any weatherstrip for the rear window.  Any ideas?

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2020, 05:17:24 AM »
...  The truck is in decent shape and would like to restore it.....  Any ideas?

Welcome.

I commend and admire anyone that takes on the project of RESTORING one of these legendary early Toyota pickups, rather than taking one of these very rare vehicles out rock crawling and ultimately thrash and bash it to death.

Regarding parts.... Google can find parts.  eBay of course. Local boneyards.... Other 4x4 and Toyota sites......research and research. 

H8PVMNT and others here have lots of experience with early Toys and may be able to provide some good tips.

Regarding your slider backglass, it is very rare to find one that you can replace one of the 3 sections, so you will probably have to replace it as a complete unit.

Keep us posted on your project.

Good luck.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2020, 05:33:08 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

toe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -60
  • Male Posts: 1,693
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
Re: New member
« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2020, 09:45:26 PM »
 :welcome:
Me