Author Topic: new marlin built w56b issue  (Read 5309 times)

keycw

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 85
  • Male Posts: 34
  • Member since Mar '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: new marlin built w56b issue
« Reply #30 on: Apr 16, 2019, 09:33:28 AM »
took it out and ran it in the early Louisiana heat.  hit highway speeds of 75mph, crawled through traffic, shifted through all gears, and no problems.  I put right around 150 miles and did not get a pop out of 2nd, or any other issues for that matter.  I was able to speak with marlin yesterday and talk about it and they said they were happy but still clueless.  I plan to take a 2 hour trip this weekend in it, if there are still any issues they should have come up by now I would think.  im not contributing the fix to the gear oil, but I will say there is a noticeable difference in the shifts between regular off the shelf 90 weight and the redline mt90.  heres some pic from running through a sugar cane field the other day, because its the south and thats what we have  :driving:

06 Tacoma prerunner DD

87 runner 22re 5sp restomoding

1980 short bed.  chevy 63, RUF, power steering/hysteer, ballin' camper topper

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #31 on: Apr 16, 2019, 02:53:59 PM »
k,

Glad it's all good! Marlin is the BEST!!  :thumbs:

Yeah... clean machine!!  :gap:

Gnarls.  :D
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

187unlimited

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Apr '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Apr 17, 2019, 09:27:46 AM »
Beautiful rig. Dont see them like that very often.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

keycw [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Apr 17, 2019, 02:30:13 PM »
https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

beautiful truck! even the dang windshield trim is nice ha
06 Tacoma prerunner DD

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 280
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2019, 02:48:51 PM »
Hi guys.  Maybe I can shed a little light on this, and I apologize to keycw if I wasn't very clear about it when we were on the phone.  So the fact is these are rebuilt transmissions.  That means utilizing used factory gear sets, shafts and ect, with new bearings, synchros and seals.  The builder does a super thorough inspection of the parts (most of our specs of what we call within spec or usable is more strict than Toyota).  However he cant always catch everything.  These transmissions have a slider that goes over the hub and attaches to the fork.  Sometimes there is a microscopic metal transfer from an old slider on to the hub or vise versa.  This cant be seen by the naked eye (or with our builders maginfying glasses) but will cause just enough of a resistance in the slider moving the hub so cause it to not engage properly. When it was torn apart and inspected there was nothing visibly wrong, the possibility metal transfer could be the only thing causing the problem.  The hub slider and fork were replaced, eliminating that possibility.   Hope that helps. :biggthumpup:
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

keycw [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2019, 06:32:44 AM »
Hi guys.  Maybe I can shed a little light on this, and I apologize to keycw if I wasn't very clear about it when we were on the phone.  So the fact is these are rebuilt transmissions.  That means utilizing used factory gear sets, shafts and ect, with new bearings, synchros and seals.  The builder does a super thorough inspection of the parts (most of our specs of what we call within spec or usable is more strict than Toyota).  However he cant always catch everything.  These transmissions have a slider that goes over the hub and attaches to the fork.  Sometimes there is a microscopic metal transfer from an old slider on to the hub or vise versa.  This cant be seen by the naked eye (or with our builders maginfying glasses) but will cause just enough of a resistance in the slider moving the hub so cause it to not engage properly. When it was torn apart and inspected there was nothing visibly wrong, the possibility metal transfer could be the only thing causing the problem.  The hub slider and fork were replaced, eliminating that possibility.   Hope that helps. :biggthumpup:

thanks for the info.  transmission is doing fine since the issue resolved itself. 
06 Tacoma prerunner DD