Author Topic: Charging Issue  (Read 975 times)

Mudshiner44

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Member since Oct '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Charging Issue
« on: Apr 12, 2018, 09:43:36 PM »
Had a little furry rodent in my truck.  Concerned I started everything up and the charge light stayed on as did the brake light.  Brake light needed fluid, but I turned on the headlights and the charge light went off.  The following weekend, I took my 1981 truck to the woods to have a ride.  All was good until a big mud hole then my charge light came back on.  I tested the output and for .7 volts.  The alternator sounded like it needed attention, so I took it and had it rebuilt.  Now the bearings sound good, hook it up and I still get a charge light and .9volts out.  Replaced the voltage regulator and still the same thing.  No voltage.  is there something else I'm missing??

On a side note, power choke doesn't work unless I hook it up directly to a 12 volt system.  If I don't the choke stays closed.  Pretty sure the two things are related, but haven;t had time to sit back and try to figure it out.  Any help would be wonderful

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
Re: Charging Issue
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2018, 09:20:53 AM »
Hey mudshiner,

Unfortunately, furry little rodents can cause all kinds of trouble. Everything from sunflower seeds in the intake to a whole nest of prickly pear cactus under the hood. OR dead mouse odors when you run the fan inside the cab, eminating from half a mouse inside the blower unit. (I still don't know where the other half is). Or, as you found out, they can take a snack of wire insulation and leave you chasing electrical gremlins.

I recommend that you take a multimeter and begin hunting down wires that are grounded and shouldn't be. I'm guessing your guest chewed some insulation off some wire and opened up the possibility of said wire touching ground and shorting out the alternator. Which, I think, would ruin it and/or the voltage regulator. Do not neglect either the possibility that the wire causing the voltage light to light has been shorted to ground. The part about the big mudhole make me think a wire moved and made contact somewhere.

Best of luck, and keep us updated.

Dr.Maxwe001

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Charging Issue
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2018, 08:00:14 PM »
Check the internal voltage relay
IF YOUR LOOKING OUT THE FRONT OF YOUR 4X4 AND YOU CANT SEE THEN JUST TURN ON YOUR WIPERS. BUT THEN THINGS GET ALL MESSED UP LIKE IN LIFE.

WHEN YOU GET TO THE END OF YOUR ROPE JUST THINK THAT ALONG TIME AGO  YOU WERE THE FASTEST LITTLE SWIMMER TO THE EGG

08:55:22 PM BeccaLoo24 – i like to screw things

$99 scratch and dent drill press has drilled more holes than Ron Jeremy.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48342.0

[img]http://bo