Author Topic: Cooling system flush  (Read 3004 times)

63W

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Cooling system flush
« on: Mar 05, 2017, 09:52:17 AM »
What is everyone's opinion of using a chemical ( prestone super flush or similar products)to help flush out a cooling system. I have a 81 pickup that has the nastiest looking coolant I have seen.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Cooling system flush
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2017, 11:13:31 AM »
I don't have anything against cooling system flush or chemical conditioners.
I personally don't use them except for cases like you are describing.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2017, 02:54:56 PM »
What kind of nasty?  If it is just old coolant, not a big need for an additive.  You can use a flush kit and run hose water through it till it is clear, drain out ALL the water and refill
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

63W [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2017, 06:26:28 PM »
What kind of nasty?  If it is just old coolant, not a big need for an additive.  You can use a flush kit and run hose water through it till it is clear, drain out ALL the water and refill

Just brown looks like it has some rust in it for sure. The truck sat for a while before I got a hold of it,probably the better part of ten years

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2017, 07:38:55 PM »
Most parts houses have a coolant water flush kit.  You splice it in your heater hose.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

63W [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2017, 09:13:11 PM »
Most parts houses have a coolant water flush kit.  You splice it in your heater hose.
I have seen those, you think it will work good?

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2017, 09:43:23 PM »
Yes, it absolutely will.  I've put them on every one of my trucks I've had.  Maybe flush it completely, put in some of your cleaner of choice, run it as required and flush it again.  Straight water can cause the rusty water, but can also be very bad for these things
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Skye

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 39
  • Female Posts: 24
  • Member since Jul '17
  • jump into Waterfall
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2017, 12:11:55 PM »
Drain the block too

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,258
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Jul 20, 2017, 03:14:04 AM »
What is everyone's opinion of using a chemical ( prestone super flush or similar products)to help flush out a cooling system. I have a 81 pickup that has the nastiest looking coolant I have seen.

Chemical flushes are OK, just don't run the vehicle very long with it in the engine.  Coolant acts as a lubricant and has rust inhibitors.  In an old system, fresh coolant may only be good for about 12 months.

Flushes and plain water can cause leaks quickly, especially in the water pump shaft.  I'd probably only drive the vehicle with flush or plain water for about 60 miles or about 1 hour.  Remember to open your heater core.  I would not install a flush kit... just use the flush stuff.

Drain the system and flush it really well.  Replenish the system with 50/50 coolant and only use DISTILLED water if mixing.

That's just my opinion - it may be worthless.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2017, 04:46:12 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

63W [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 20, 2017, 09:20:20 AM »
Chemical flushes are OK, just don't run the vehicle very long with it in the engine.  Coolant acts as a lubricant and has rust inhibitors.  In an old system, fresh coolant may only be good for about 12 months.

Flushes and plain water can cause leaks quickly, especially in the water pump shaft.  I'd probably only drive the vehicle with flush or plain water for about 60 miles or about 1 hour.  Remember to open your heater core.  I would not install a flush kit... just use the flush stuff.

Drain the system really well.  Replenish the system with 50/50 coolant and only use DISTILLED water if mixing.

That's just my opinion - it may be worthless.

Gnarls.

That is exactly what I done, seems to have worked alright. Thanks

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2017, 09:59:12 AM »
I recently tried something on a friends ford Taurus that was pretty plugged up in the heater core.  I put 50% distilled water with 50% distilled white vinegar, let her run it for a few short trips across town, then drained it.  You would not believe the amount of scale that came out. 

Then I filled it with distilled water, ran it up to temp and drained it off 4 times until the scale quite coming out and it was mostly clear.  Seems to have don the trick.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

63W [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2017, 11:08:53 AM »
I recently tried something on a friends ford Taurus that was pretty plugged up in the heater core.  I put 50% distilled water with 50% distilled white vinegar, let her run it for a few short trips across town, then drained it.  You would not believe the amount of scale that came out. 

Then I filled it with distilled water, ran it up to temp and drained it off 4 times until the scale quite coming out and it was mostly clear.  Seems to have don the trick.

Thanks for the information, will have to remember that for the next time