Author Topic: Drive Shaft Phasing Question  (Read 1191 times)

58rennur4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 204
  • Male Posts: 39
  • Member since Aug '17
  • WHAT?
    • View Profile
Drive Shaft Phasing Question
« on: Aug 08, 2017, 10:07:35 PM »
So I am in the process of converting an 85 4runner from Automatic to Manual. The tranny and transfer case come from an 87 4runner, but the rear drive shaft is sourced from another vehicle, also an 87. I am waiting on a few minor parts ( shifter dust boots, new fork and clips, etc.) before I start the installation.

Since none of these parts have been married together and used together I am not sure what to consider when installing the rear shaft. From what I have read about phasing the shaft looks correctly lined up - so am I right to think I can just install and go with out any problems?

I do not have a front drive shaft yet other then the one from the AUTOMATIC. I am not sure if it will fit ( Does anyone know?) If it does fit seems  the u joints are not exactly lined up. This is how it was when I bought it. I am not sure if it is a full spline off or just less then a full spline. I have taken the yoke off to try and line up keeping the zerks on the same side but I am either one way or the other just off alignment of the u joints. Is this normal allowing for the torque to line them up or do I need to have this front drive shaft exactly lined up?

Thanks for any input about this or the swap in general....

4runner4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 291
  • Male Posts: 260
  • Member since Aug '08
  • lockers before light bars.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Drive Shaft Phasing Question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2017, 04:20:42 PM »
The rear should be fine as long as you do not have an excessive lift on it. for the front i would wait until it is all hooked up and then measure it i would not go buying anything until you are at that step. if you have the measurement on the original driveshaft i can measure one i have from a 5 speed 87 4runner to get an idea.
1983 Toyota pickup Sr5 6 inch shackle lift 33 super swampers 4:88 gears front and rear locked in the rear 22r high lift air tank tools and other junk(sold)
1987 4runner ifs 3 inch pro comp lift 33" TSL swampers and a cherry bomb exhaust(sold)
1987 4runner Sr5 current sas build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101170.new#new

58rennur4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 204
  • Male Posts: 39
  • Member since Aug '17
  • WHAT?
    • View Profile
Re: Drive Shaft Phasing Question
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2017, 05:52:12 PM »
The rear should be fine as long as you do not have an excessive lift on it. for the front i would wait until it is all hooked up and then measure it i would not go buying anything until you are at that step. if you have the measurement on the original driveshaft i can measure one i have from a 5 speed 87 4runner to get an idea.

OK thanks very much! No lift all stock...

Here is a picture of the shaft and how I measured it, basically from the flat end to flat end of the joint flange yokes. It was as straight as I could see @ 25inches.

Is the 87 front drive shaft u-joints perfectly aligned "phased" or off set one direction or the other like mine in picture?

Thanks....