Author Topic: SOA, Marlin High Steer, Pitman clearance question  (Read 2151 times)

jason#9

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
SOA, Marlin High Steer, Pitman clearance question
« on: Sep 12, 2016, 10:54:28 AM »
1989 FJ62.  Recently did a spring over axle lift and also did a shackle reversal in the front.  I am using Marlin high steer set up but I am having a problem with clearance.  When I compress the driver front, the drag link touches the leaf spring before the tire is fully stuffed.  Currently I am using stock springs but was thinking that maybe using new springs with a small lift might help (trying to keep it low).  I also thought that getting a flat pitman arm would help from sky manufacturing http://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/collections/toyota-steering/products/toy-bpa-001 but they say it will not fit.   

Any suggestions? 

Thanks!

txlonghorn

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
You're on the right track. More arch (lift) in your spring or a flat arm, assuming it will clear your frame, are going to help you get a bit more up travel. Are you saying the splines in the arm will not work w/ the 60 series steering box?

jason#9 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Sky said it was shorter than stock and I would lose 30% of my steering range.  I got a reply on Mud and it was suggested that I use the pitman arm from an 80 series landcruiser, it is supposed to have less drop.  This plus the 2-2.5" lift springs should do the trick.  Then maybe longer bumpstops but I will leave that as a last resort. 

txlonghorn

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Gotcha. I feel your pain on the leaf/arm clearance. I ended up lifting more than I initially wanted so that I could have 4" of up travel instead of 2".

john90lux

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Member since Oct '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I fitted 2" drop hangers on the front and used the drop pitman arm
Also helps with steering geometry when pushing housing fowards