Author Topic: 73 Hilux. In the works  (Read 5792 times)

Seeds

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
Re: 73 Hilux. In the works
« on: Oct 12, 2011, 09:24:19 PM »
do you not like TG's springs? and lemme know how the roll cage goes cause i want one in my 78

I have a 4 inch set on my 4 runner, once they break in they are ok. However my bushings lasted 1 run before they tore up, several zerk fittings sheared off while I was just pulling the grease gun fitting off (PITB to get those out), those locking nuts holding the springs in the shackles started walking out to the point where my front end started to shimmy and I had to pull over to troubleshoot the problem before realizing my front rear shackle bolts were all loose (I have since double nutted them all), I had to redrill the spring pad to fit the spring pin (i mean, thats just rediculous) every tie rod lasted one run before the rubber became cracked and worn out (since replaced them with better ones) the tapered hole for my pitman arm was drilled too big so I couldnt torque my tie rod end in without bottoming out the castle nut and therefore making the tie rod useless, had to grind and refit a simple diff cover (pretty standard part), most of the pads on my leaf springs were gone day 1..etc etc...  It isnt so much the spring as the other stuff. Their quality control is sub par for my preference. But they are cheaper. I try to buy a little Chinese as possible, but the price to do my front buying everything separate was gonna be too ridiculous. I was not excited to buy the 3 inch kit from them, but I didnt have a good choice. i didnt want to forgo the ARB. And having done it once I can try to fix the issues.

I like TG for the fact that they help keep market prices down, and their customer service has been superb for me and when ive been in the shop the guys were very cool. But I can almost name 1 thing wrong with each thing I bought. And because the force others to be competitive quality has slid in once superb companies product's. TG has simple QC issues and fair quality on most stuff. Close tolerances are hard to come buy when you buy chinese. I would never buy a Chinese axle housing from them.  Think of it this way...Marlin drives the trannys he builds...Some Chinese kid in a factory walked his ox cart to work, you think he has any idea about machining parts? Sure, the CNC runs, but how do you QC something if you don't even know what you are building :) A buddy of mine bought a marlin tranny and then met him at king of the hammers only to have a 30 min discussion on how he remembers building that exact tranny a few weeks before.

Excuse the sarcasm

« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2011, 03:00:53 AM by Seeds »
Romans 12:2