Author Topic: detroit locker is this normal  (Read 3423 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: detroit locker is this normal
« on: Mar 17, 2005, 01:28:36 PM »
well I've got it sitting on blocks while I put in the new tranny  and the front spins nice and smooth while the rear is grinding as it spins, if the back lash is normal as i sounds like thats fine but something is totally :censored: with the bearings and I'm told it is because the gears where set up to tight 

I would say that you have a bearing problem, but I am no mechanic.

I have an 85 Yota with a Detroit installed in the rear with 4.88 gears.  The Detroit completely changed the way my truck handled and drove.  The positive is that it nearly unstoppable (clarification: for the level of trials that I run), I do the difficult but not extreme Moab trails.  I only have a Trutrac front limited slip and I drove up Rocker Knocker on Pritchett Canyon the first try, however I nearly rolled it over  :laugh:  Note: my  :turtle:  4:70:1 transfer case is the reason it goes so well.  There are obviously negatives with the Detroit that include the following: (1) while turning at slow speeds (parking lots) the truck surges as it locks and unlocks. (2) Increased tire wear. (3) Since I don't have an E-brake it rolls when I park it about a foot before it locks and stops. (4) It tends to engage hard off the line, so I usually let the clutch out a little to take up the slack before I release the brake. (5) If it engages/locks while turning it can really sound horrible when the teeth finally mesh completely, almost like a broken axle.  I figure that these are all a worthwhile trade for having the quality of the Detroit where I know it is as reliable as anything on the market.  Everyone that I know with a Detroit experiences the same things, automatic transmission seems to smooth things out a bit.  Just my  :twocents:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved