Author Topic: Anyone Running a electric fan on there 22re and whats the gains and losses?  (Read 32679 times)

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 166
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Simple Physics, yes. Removing the mechanical fan and fan clutch reduces the amount of rotating mass therefore reducing the amount of power the engine uses to turn, which increases the amount of power going to the rear wheels. The engine doesn't put out any more power just more gets put to the drivetrain. Yes the alternator will have to work a little harder and will use up some of the horsepower that was freed up by removing the mechanical fan, but not all of it. The amount of power freed up by removing the mechanical fan will very by vehicle, also will the power taken up by the alternator. The only way to find out for each vehicle the power gain/loss will be to dyno test before & after install. All vehicles I have added electric fans to I have felt a slight increase in power to the rear wheels, but don't have dyno results to prove it. Like I said before the results will vary by vehicle, but I don't think an alternator powering an electric fan will take up more power than a mechanical fan. Also an electric fan doesn't run all the time, it will cycle on & off with engine temp. When the vehicle is up to speed the fan won't turn on because there is an enough air flow through the radiator to cool the engine. With a mechanical fan it is always turning even if the clutch is not engaged you still have a rotating mass that uses up power. Also the added amps the alternator has to put out won't burn out an alternator any quicker than adding a stereo & some offroad lights so I don't think that is a problem. Battery cranking amps won't have anything to do with the fan because the alternator will be powering the fan. Also I do agree with people doing there research. Anyone can say they are a rocket scientist on the internet. My  :twocents:
1985 Toyota 4Runner, BFG 35" MTs, 4" lift, Detroits lockers front & rear,5.29, V6 rear, rebuilt 22RE.