Author Topic: all-pro leafs  (Read 8691 times)

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
Re: all-pro leafs
« Reply #30 on: Feb 21, 2011, 08:35:47 AM »
IMO a body lift has less roll potential that a suspension lift. It only lifts the body, not the heavier drive line components, fuel tank, and frame. Where as a suspension lifts EVERYTHING except un-sprung weight.  FWIW I have a 1 inch body lift on my rig, but that is so I can get to stuff easier with my dumb ass lumber jack hands, and lift my t-cases a little higher for a flatter belly.

I started with a jeep when I was 16 and moved to a yota when I was 18. I spent ALLOT of time doing a frame up restoration on an 85 before I got a killer deal on my current truck.  IMO take your time on the frame up and make the parts that you know you will be keeping nice! (IE the interior, the frame, the front axle). Past that SAVE YOUR MONEY and do it nice the first time.  Don't bother with a lift until you can slap some high steer on that bad boy (push pull sucks for flex, and if you lift it much it sucks for flex and steering). I would do some RUF (rears up front), I am on my 3rd try with springs, and they are good, but not quite what I want. Nice thing is its SUPER easy to yank them and add or remove a leaf.

If I were you, I would finish the frame up, get a decent set of 31" tires (BFG AT's or KM2's would be my preference, not sure if the KM2s come that small yet), and order a aussie or lockrite locker. Build yourself some sliders, and other body armor to protect your sheet metal. I REALLY REALLY wish I would have done my t-cases before I did my lift. When I went to 35's I hated wheeling because I could not "crawl" things the way I wanted.  That little truck will surprise the hell outa you with a good set of tires and a locker in the rear!  If you do all of this you will have some time to save some $$$ and do some more research!

My $.02!

PZ

PS I have a rough country lift on my DD, and I hate it. Wish I would have left it stock.
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?