Author Topic: what about ifs  (Read 6085 times)

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: what about ifs
« on: Jun 08, 2010, 06:02:17 PM »
Quote from: jimmer009
  Ok I got the ifs and I am happy on how it works. I understand I don't get the flex. but I'm locked in the front and spooled in the rear. I can drive on my side lol. I havn't seen any heavy duty axel shafts/ cv shafts upgrades for my yota. maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

For the type of wheeling you do(according to your other post), the IFS will work well enough.  Those of us who still wheel IFS push them a lot farther than most think they should go, and have relatively little issue.  I have a lunch box locker in the front of my '91(wheeling it for 3yrs that way) and haven't broken a CV yet, however I do carry spares, I also will leave the passenger hub unlocked when on the easier stuff.

I am not a fan of a welded rear, not because of tire wear, but because of how it handles on the trail.  I would swap it out for an ARB, or at least another lunch box locker.

Carry extra tie-rods and a spare idler arm.  If you break anything it will likely be one of those, especially if running tires bigger than 33's or like to wheel w/a heavy foot.

IIRC in your other post you were planning on dual cases, if/when you do get them this will help to reduce a lot of the stress wheeling puts on the IFS components.  Being able to crawl over an obstacle negates the need for speed to bump yourself over it, this reduces the effect of one of the IFS's weak points.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod