Author Topic: My 1981 Trekker  (Read 7089 times)

trekkerpaul

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
Re: My 1981 Trekker
« Reply #30 on: Oct 26, 2009, 02:23:47 PM »
I have also been looking for a way to remake the original fender to frame plastic pieces inside the wheel wells.  After looking abroad for a couple of months, I got smart and found a local place that fixed me up with a like thickness piece of rubber to remake them.  I only had the drivers side complete, if that's what you want to call it.  The passenger side was only half there. 

I started with the drivers side remake.

Since I have looked for a couple of years for a good passenger side to make a template without success I decided that I would try and see if the driver's side piece fit on the passenger side.  It did, with the exception that the driver's side has the cut out for the steering box, which I omitted for the passenger side.

Next was something that had been bugging me forever.  The vent flaps that are attached to the plastic piece that sits behind the vents.  Always breaking off from age.

The fender well rubber is about the same thickness, so after removing the staples and flap, I used a decently damaged flap to template the new pieces.

I stapled them into place and WALA!

Next was the most annoying piece to find.  Fender badge plastic gaskets. Of course not available at any dealer anywhere, so I decided to make them too.  I started with this.

Then made them look like this.

Good as new or maybe better because I got to make them myself.  It's amazing what a sense of ownership comes from making a piece for your truck!

I am working on the stock mirror plastic gaskets, but that will be later.