Author Topic: 88 4Runner 302 engine swap needing help/advise/anything ya got  (Read 8815 times)

wood

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 51
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Yep, it's going to be a lot of work, but WAAAYYY better than the 3.0.
#1 don't think the motor mounts are the same. Doesn't matter anyway, your going to have to either buy some after market mounts, or build your own.
#2 nope, the V6 radiator isn't going to do a good enough job of cooling. It might work running down the road, but crawling on the trail it's going to get hot.
#3 Yep, if you are a "sensible" driver like you say, then the W56 should hold up. There have been many people running this combo with success. Obviously the 150, or151 would be better, but I understand running what you have too.
As far as wiring I would get a hold of Howell for the harness. www.howell-efi.com I don't know if they do Ford harnesses though. Maybe only chevy. If not try Painless wiring. It will cost you some more money, but save you a few years in life span by eliminating some of the headache.
Oh ya, the 3" lift isn't going to cut it for the 36's, or for the clearance from the pan to the axle. I would set the motor in, then build the suspension accordingly. May not need to be to much more, but 3" isn't going to be enough.
Many people have said that they have had problems with north west off road, but they do have experiance with the 5.0 install. www.northwestoff-road.com
Also advance adapters for the bell housing etc. www.advanceadapters.com
Of course marlin for all of your other needs. www.marlincrawler.com

Good luck, and trust me, you won't miss the 3.0

(sorry swampy)

What I meant about the motor mounts were accually the motor pads on that are welded to the frame that you bolt the rubber mounts to. Are the v6 and 4cyl pads the same?

I currently allready have the 4" all-pro front springs that I picked up for a good deal that I planned on using for the sas on my runner. Will these spring work with the 302 V8? If not what spring can ya'll recommend for the V8. Maybe 44044's?? As far as clearance for the 36's My other toy had rears up front with about 3" lift and a 2" BL and I fit the 36's with no problems. I really don't want any more that 3" in the suspension. I planned on cutting out the tranny tunnel and lifting the t-case and gas tank to make a flatter belly. But to do this I need to install the BL to make room for all of it. --(thinking outloud)-- Maybe if I install the 2" body lift, instead of lifting "just" the rearend of the t-case, I can fab some engine mounts that will lift the engine 2" as well. A basic drivetrain lift. That would aid in the clearance of the powersteering box as well as give me the room I need between the oil pan and the front axle, then I could stay with a 3" suspension lift :dunno:  :dunno: I'll do some searches and see what I come up with. Does anybody know where I can get some pre-fabed engine lift mounts??

Howell doesn't do fords. I may call painless and see what they can do. Thanks for the help.
New project--1988 4Runner Currently stock, but not for long!
www.HCOR4x4.org