Author Topic: Spelling...  (Read 5209 times)

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
Re: Spelling...
« on: Jul 12, 2007, 09:09:57 AM »
Sure, spelling and grammar are one thing but what about proper word usage. Even the simple ones like "to" and "too" or "there", "their" and "they're" along with many others (even if I'm guilty of this mistake from time to time).  Is it just too much to remember?  I do understand a misspell because of keyboard issues or just plain being in a rush. I agree that sometimes it's just a simple matter of lack of pride even for something so slight (I wouldn't say simple, we are speaking of English).

One thing I've always remembered about writing as we speak is basically 'don't do it'! I know I'm not the most versed in proper writing technique and sentence structure but I do make the best of a free education. Although, my parents might disagree about how "free" that actually was  :cheese:.

Also, with many years as a practitioner of Smart-assology I've come into my own as a rather cunning linguist  :gap:.  My wife really hates it when I ruin the words to songs she likes  :slap:, so she quit telling me that she likes a song thats playing. Heck, even movies aren't safe with me... :lipsrsealed: I just can't help myself. Now she anticipates something I might say so I don't even have to say anything.  :lipsrsealed:  :haha:

I think it's rather sad that our schools haven't had a better hold of our youth in regards to their education for their futures.  I guess maybe teachers should get better pay to give them the incentive to do a better job. Afterall, often times they're just babysitters for some parents.

Call me anal but does texting seem to be an excuse for blatant misuse of spelling and grammar to convey a message or thought?  It bothers me that the youth these days can't spell to save their lives and then they'll criticize someone for not understanding the text language or for fully spelling out a word or phrase in a text message... :screwy:  :headscratch:  :hammer:

Just     'member      dat      Sum     werds     ar     fer     funn      ann      ar     Otay     tu     misspeel!    :gap:  :gap:  :gap: