Author Topic: Problem areas to look at when buying used??  (Read 3048 times)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Well, I looked at the truck today!  First off, the people that own it, are friends of my step mom.  It's a 87 toyota std cab with the 22rte!  It has 202,000 miles on the motor, has a new head, has been well maintained, the driver of this rig checked the oil and everything every morning, and it uses a little oil.   It had a full service utility box on it, which explains the 89 toyota bed on it!  It has been sitting for 3 years and they tried to start it last spring, but the only way to get it to fire would be to put a little gas in the intake after the turbo!  I don't see any rust on the body of the cab and front end, just some small areas on the bed, but A flatbed would look cool!  Mostly, just some small surface rust on the frame, the front end looks like it has a small oil leak so I don't think there's any rust, or problems with dried bushings!  They drove this truck everyday until they got the newer truck.  The cool thing is they offered to tow it to my house if I buy it, and if I can't get it running and I decided that it's not worth my time, they offered to buy it back!  The truck is in good shape, just needs a good wash job!  They are only asking $1000.  They've had many people stop and want parts off it, and they said no, but you can buy the whole truck though, and nobody has!  They offered it to a couple of kids and they just didn't want to spend the time to make it run!  I'm seriously thinking I'm going to take it!  What's your opinions?  Should I take on a project?  It does burn oil, but a motor can be rebuildt, or hello 2/3rz!!!  Since the turbo comes with the good tranny!  If I do get it, I will be basically be changing all the fluids, and do a complete brake job all the way around.  One of the rear brakes is locked up!  And will be fun getting it apart!  Maybe I'll do a rear disc?!

« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2006, 12:59:15 AM by cheesemaker »
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen