Author Topic: Any Musicians  (Read 5385 times)

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
Re: Any Musicians
« Reply #30 on: Dec 03, 2006, 11:22:47 PM »
now yes, i know i could have driven myself to better and higher heights, but i was to involved in football and wrestling to actually worry about music.

The only years that i had a good... no, great teacher, was my sophomore - senior year. His name is Mr. Shuling. I loved this dude. I had never had anyone push me so hard to be so good.

And to go back to the whole thing on no natural music going on these day... HOLY CRAP, i though i was the only one these days who thought that!!! It's been in my head what music is about, and these days just aren't cutting it. My FAVORITE ( i like caps lock) types of music are Jazz, Symphonic, Classical, Ska, and Country....
military_stang
:respect:

Yes Sir, Mr. Stang you are right on on a couple of points. It is indeed teachers from the old-school of thought like your experiences with Mr. Shuling that should be promoted, not the superficial and frankly unredeeming noise some call rap. Sure, there is a place for rap, but it is certainly not in any institution for classical music training. After all, I don't know anyone who has said, "I would love to go to Julliard or Berkeley to learn the wonderful music that is rap."
That must be for a reason, but I am getting a little off-track.

I know that those who have to play for a living or have played for a living don't appreciate how educated idiots (mostly people at the high school level) have let music deteriorate at the beginner level. They have made music more appealing by lowering the standard to have more students enrolled and I just don't see this type of behavior being benevolent to anyone at all and it is definitely not good for the students.

I have had rigorous training as a musician and I am appreciative because it taught me a discipline like no other. Music has been very dear to me and my family, but it just drives me up the wall when I see people who believe in the "money for nothing, and the check for free" theory and don't do their job. Yes, we see this everywhere, but music should be a thing of passion, not a "because I have too" thing for students or "it looks good on paper" thing.Of course, those students quickly find that they are not competitive against those who are doing because they love it.

I have a classical, symphonic trumpet upbringing and I can whole-heartedly say that it is difficult and next to impossible to make a living these days as a musician. This is why I am in school for medicine.

I know that Mrs. Mammoth could probably remember how hard her father practiced(es) to perform as a professional musician. (I believe she said he was a professional musician).

My father used to travel the US playing all major rodeos, ice shows, stage performances and playing with major symphonies.

It is no surprise that I could have bitter feelings towards pre-recorded music or otherwise someone putting a tape in place of a live band....

I can also say that Harper-Morgan's sales went down as well as Barnum and Bailey's, just to name a couple, due to their getting rid of the live band.

I know people who pay for a ticket at the ice shows always enjoyed live performance over a cheap tape.

Live performance is always more exciting.

There is something to be said for live band performance in many situations.

A live jazz band is great at any occasion (except a funeral, but with that said, when one of my friends died and his jazz group performed his favorite numbers).

It is just unbelievable how people have forgotten how to dance because the loss of classical music.

Dancing and music go hand in hand. Of course, once again, it is difficult to say that the "supposed dancing" we see accompanying the garbage music that is among us these days, is anything desirable or classy. It is ostentatious and it is morally bankrupt.

It is no wonder teens have elevated emotions and a general lack of class these days.

mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com